OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Butler Creek lens covers - BEWARE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2011 at 16:55
Geez, how many cents do you save per unit by downgrading the plastic? The only Bushnell I'm interested in is this (located in the Sangre de Cristos in south-central Colorado):

Reaction time is a factor...
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2011 at 17:00
Probably the only Bushnell worth having any more.

Sadly.

Nice view.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2011 at 17:58
I once knew a bushy Nell...Bucky
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2011 at 19:46
By the shores of Lake Bushnell
I thought I spied a bushy Nell
But it was through my water-filled Bushnell
So I never could really tell
Reaction time is a factor...
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2011 at 20:27
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

You can try the Quake Ind. "Bushwacker" covers instead.  I've got several sets of these and have been happy with them overall, though I have broken 1 cover a few years ago.  From my experience, they grip the scope tighter and stay in place better than BC, due to the fact the ring is a softer, stretchier material and the sizing is tighter.

http://www.quakeinc.com/opticcover.html

Quake is great equipment. The Hush Stalkers are the best swivels I have ever used for hunting. They are quiet and strong.
The materials in the covers are, likewise, top drawer. But I would never use the covers when in the closed position. Nothing can ruin fine glass like a polymer cover, however "clear" it appears. The way I carry most of my guns, I can get by with just the front cover. Whether slung or cradled, the objective is on the upside and the ocular on the down.
Doug
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2011 at 21:29
I haven't used their clear cover versions.  The ones I've bought were solid black plastic covers.  I think they still offer that option; I haven't checked in awhile.

The Quake Bushwackers are... or used to be std equipment provided with Swarovski and Kahles 1" tube scopes.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2011 at 07:13
Great,  I read this after I ordered 5 sets Sat.  Cencored Guess I'll take my chances.  Of course that may explain why competing vendor "Position Direction Shooter's Supply" was selling them for $6.49 each.

I personally don't care for the Bushwackers they don't fold back far enough to siut me.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2011 at 21:46
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

That's really great !!!   Excellent
Terry Lamb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Lamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2011 at 09:18
Originally posted by akula88 akula88 wrote:

Same here, I broke the eyepiece cover of my Conquest when it snagged a barricade. :(

So what's the alternative?  I don't like bikini covers.
Terry Lamb
glogin View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glogin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2011 at 10:04
Originally posted by HuntMaster HuntMaster wrote:

Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

That's really great !!!   Excellent

:-)

I gave up on BC covers. They are useless.
permaculture View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote permaculture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2012 at 11:17
My Nikon scope cap broke so I bought a Butler Creek one, and now that one broke after two days.
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2012 at 11:33
Everyone one of the three pairs I have bought have broke within days of use. Leupold covers are the best out there it's like they are part of the scope.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2012 at 14:03
Originally posted by rustic rustic wrote:

Leupold covers are the best out there it's like they are part of the scope.

I just got these myself for my .223 and a Loopie 3-9x VX-R. They do work well, indeed. The older BC's I have had forever, still work great, but the newer ones have given me problems too. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2012 at 14:23
Put a set of BCs on a scope and rifle combo that gentle use 6 months ago. They wouldn't stay closed and are always popping open with a slight touch. The objective cover broke off a week before my last match, so I had to replace it.....................this time.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2012 at 14:54
I realy hate them damn covers especialy when they won't stay closed.I've tried fiddling with the spring & then the caps snap off.

The best caps I've ever owned were the ones on my Premier LT scope,but @ $80 a set?????????????
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2012 at 15:26
Failures with B/C covers here too lately. They won't be getting any more of my money either.
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2012 at 08:20
I gave up on them and now just ziptie the bikini ones that come with most scopes

I really like these that are clear

http://swfa.com/Swarovski-Z3Z5Z6-Scope-Accessories-C2914.aspx

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2012 at 11:15
I use the Bushwacker covers.  The only BC ones I have are the quick open ones on the eyepieces.  Fortunately, those have been working well for me.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2012 at 11:48
I just replaced the Quake Bushwhakers because the plastic ring in the back cracked and the cover falls off. I hope I'm not disappointed with the BC covers.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2012 at 14:35
To Butler Creek's credit, a rep read my thread and PMed saying he'd replace the covers that broke, which he promptly did. One of the covers went on immediately - and broke shortly thereafter, the second never went on the scope.

This isn't an issue of a lemon, it is systemic.

Try other options.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic