OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Target
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Experience Viper vs. SS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmuncaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Experience Viper vs. SS
    Posted: August/19/2011 at 09:09
First off - thanks for the warm welcome to the forum.  I really appreciate the awesome learning environment here.

Being somewhat new to the optics world I've done quite a bit of investigation into what the best bang for the buck is for a (you guessed it) somewhat reasonably priced bit of glass.

My research has led me to a dead tie between:

SFWA SS 10x Rear Focus
Vortex Viper 4-12x

Does anyone have any experience with both of these scopes?  Both seem to be relatively highly regarded as beginner scopes and I don't have a local gun shop that would carry either of these models (or much of anything else, for that matter).

Here is my situation (and ideals):
-Alexander match AR chambered in 6.5mm Grendel for longer range (300-600yd) target shooting AND 3-gun comp.
-NEED mildot or similar reticle for quick calculations - plex etc is a deal-breaker
-Needs to be viable on 10" targets to 600yds or thereabouts
-Would prefer, but not require variable zoom but am willing to sacrifice in the interest of clarity at range - I have a vortex 0-0 micro red-dot offset mount to get on-target quickly so vari-x not req'd.
-Sturdy, reliable, repeatable

Can anyone help me out with some insight?

I really appreciate it!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2011 at 09:30
I have had both. The SS will be a much better scope for your use.  The glass is better and it is a better build scope for dialing in corrections.  The think about the viper is it's reticle, if used for holdover would be different on every power. causing a miss in certain situations.  With the SS you coudl use the mildot as a hold over and it will be true everytime or you could just dial in.  Kenton industries makes speed dials for the SS which may be a viable option for you later down the road.
wmuncaster View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmuncaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2011 at 09:44
Sold on the SS.  Thank you SVT!!

Any insight on a suitable AR flattop mounting solution?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2011 at 09:50
How much do you want to spend on a mount?

If you are on a budget, I would get the Burris PEPR mount.  http://swfa.com/Burris-AR-Tactical-Mounts-C1694.aspx

If not, get the Bobro.  http://swfa.com/SWFA-Mounts-C3474.aspx
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2011 at 09:55
http://opticstalk.com/extensive-swfass-group-buy-incredible-savings_topic28845.html
this kit comes with the sunshade and BC covers

Links to KIT5 components:
SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope
SWFA SS 42mm Sun Shade
Butler Creek Eye Cover
Butler Creek Objective Cover
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then get you a SWFA SALT mount -
SWFA S.S.A.L.T. 30mm Scope Mount SWFA S.S.A.L.T. 30mm Scope Mount
Stock # - SS30HSSALT
  • Picatinny MIL-STD-1913
  • Matte
  • Comes with 1" Inserts
$59.95 
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmuncaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2011 at 10:15
Shocked

WoooAAAAAhhhhhhh!!!!!

SVT YOU ARE THE MAN!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmuncaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2011 at 10:20
Any reservations about the Burris PEPR quick-release mounts?

Maybe I'm just lusting after totally unnecessary (but convenient) quick release...

I also like the rails on top of the rings - I wouldn't have to offset mount the red-dot anymore which means I could keep the rifle orientation correct when aiming...
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2011 at 10:26
By going with the SALT you get the 1" inserts which comes in handy if you ever change to a 1" scope down the road.  Buy this with the SALT It fits it fine and you have your ring top for your mini red dot.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmuncaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2011 at 10:27
I don't know how you do it.......

Excellent
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmuncaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2011 at 10:28
Ok ok.

One last question...

While I'm spending a boatload of cash on my toys - bipod recommendations?

I had a Harris and didn't really like it - it was difficult to operate and constantly required adjustment and re-tightening.  I was just generally unimpressed.

Have been looking at VersaPods.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2011 at 10:41
Which model Harris did you have?

If you get one with notched legs they are much much better.  Then you do not have to worry about tightening them down and having them slip.

I like the tilt heads with notched legs best. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2011 at 10:49
Harris is my choice of bipods unless you go much higer in price.  Did you have a swivel model or fixed model?  I have had the fixed ones as well and they do tend to led to aggravation unless shooting off a very stable flat platform, going with a swivel model and notched legs gives you lots more adjustment.  Normally harris will correct any problems you have with their bipods.  Before orderign though a good ideal is to get your gun and get into normally shooting position, use books or something to get the right height of your forend when your comfortable, then measure that height and go with a bipod that has that height in the middle of the adjustment range.  (example you are shooting prone and use thre or four phonebooks to bring your forend to the comfortable height, measuring you get 7.5" height of them.  go with a 6-9 bipod to account for changes in terrain.)
Harris S Series Bipods
Either way i recommend notched legs vs standard.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2011 at 13:08
Originally posted by wmuncaster wmuncaster wrote:

Ok ok.

One last question...

While I'm spending a boatload of cash on my toys - bipod recommendations?

I had a Harris and didn't really like it - it was difficult to operate and constantly required adjustment and re-tightening.  I was just generally unimpressed.

Have been looking at VersaPods.

My first bipod was a VersaPod and it was my last. For me it was just not very stable. I use the Harris bipods with the notched legs and would not use anything else. I have the swivel head for hunting and the fixed head for bench work.
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2011 at 15:37
There is also Atlas bipods if you want to consider something else.  Have been running the QD model for about a month.  Very nice piece of kit, but costs more than a Harris.
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2011 at 21:16
The versa-pod for me works great. But I do not shoot bench at all, and very rarely shoot for groups. Most of my shooting is done at a local tactical style comp, with improvised field position. The ability to pan, and tilt, with notched legs gives me a lot of of options.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmuncaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2011 at 00:16
I had a Harris S-series, but none of the lock-down knobs seemed to hold throughout a range session.

I will definitely look into notched legs and adjustments.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmuncaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2011 at 11:25
I had a fixed S-model, I believe.

It always tended to come loose of the sling lug and the legs frequently collapsed on me mid-hold.  It was a danger on the range and I feel like it would've been irresponsible of me to continue to use it...

I would definitely like a swivel base and also want it to be rail-mounted instead of sling lugged...
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmuncaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2011 at 11:27
Oops.  Sorry about the double reply.

Thanks for all your input!!  I suppose I can always try one and send it back if it doesn't work out.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmuncaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2011 at 17:00
Sorry guys, I don't like to brag but I'm too excited!!

Ordered:

SWFA 10x42 SS Kit
Burris PEPR-QD Mount
VersaPod 52

All going on AR-15 chambered 6.5 Grendel with:

Shilen 18" Heavy Match Barrel
Alexander Arms Upper Receiver
Bushmaster Varminter Special Lower Receiver and Match Trigger Group
Vortex Reflex Micro Red Dot
MI Rifle-length handguard
CAA 6-position stock
Magpul MOE grip