OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What Scope for a Marlin 1895 45-70?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What Scope for a Marlin 1895 45-70?
    Posted: June/08/2004 at 18:52

I'm looking for a great cost effective scope for my new Marlin 45-70 lever gun. I was told the BSA 3.5 - 10 x 50 Catseye was a great scope but I'm partial to the mildot reticle and have even liked some of the NC Star ilimunated reticles (not sure of their quality). I really like the Super Sniper 10 x 40 style but the power is too high. Any one have any recomendations. Price range $300 or less.

Thanks

Rob

redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2004 at 19:07

i recommend a 1-4 power scope, or something of that nature. a high-power scope, or mildot is simply out of place on a 45-70 lever gun. i would go for the leupold VXII 1-4, or VXIII 1.5-5. is the gun stainless, matte, or gloss.

cory

Bigdaddy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2004 at 19:11

Thanks for the quick response. The rifle is the stainless model. I hear what your saying about looking out of place. I favor tactical type but sometimes they are not suited for some applications.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2004 at 19:15

well, thats a nice gun you have there, i was looking at one of those myself. what finish do you want for the scope??? i think with mate mounts/rings, it would look fine with a matte scope.

cory

Bigdaddy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2004 at 19:26

Matte finish is actually what I'm looking for. I saw a stainless 45-70 with a scope with stainless or "Silver" finish but to me it was just too much. I have looked at some NCStars at a local gun show. The vendor boasted they were of quality. Shock proof, fog proof and Nitrogen filled. The optics were very clear but I don't know much about them. We all know you get what you pay for... In the Super Sniper's case you get more... The only scopes I have owned are Simmons, Bushnell, Tasco and a ATN 4-12 x 60 with Bullet drop compaensation (On my Bushmaster Varminter). I'm at a knowlege dis-advantage here. Thanks for your help.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2004 at 19:30

sorry, but i forgot to mention that NcStar is the biggest peice of crap out there. get a leupold, you wont go back to economy scopes. if you get a ncstar you might as well just be flushing that money down the toilet. spend the extra money for a leupold VXII 1-4x20.

cory

Bigdaddy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2004 at 19:34

Cory, thanks for the advise. I had reservation based on price but wasn't sure. I will consider the Leupold you metioned.

Thanks

Rob 

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2004 at 19:36

very good idea.

cory

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2004 at 09:37

$300. or less for a lever 45/70 stainless??

Here's a big group to choose from starting way below your budget and barely eclipsing your budget.

Bushnell Trophy 1.75-4x32.....$99.95

Weaver Classic V-3 1-3x20....$149.95

Nikon Monarch 1.5-4.5x20.....$239.99

Leupold VX-II 1-4x20.....$259.95

Weaver Grand Slam 1.5-5x32.....$269.95

Burris 1.75-5x32 Signature Safari......$329.95

I've got the same gun in matte.  I bought it last year and it came with the factory ports, a friend of mine liked it so I ordered him one too and it came with no ports.  Now all of them are portless.  Does anyone know why they switched production?  Mine has a Leupold 2.5x28 Scout scope mounted with Leupold quick release rings on an XS Sight Systems no drill and tap scout mount and XS back up ghost ring sights.

akpls View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akpls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2004 at 10:10
I have the Weaver Grand Slam 1.5-5 on a Marlin 1895M and it's been through several Alaska moose seasons and almost weekly range sessions without a problem.  Optically and tracking-wise, it's as good or better than any of the Leupold's or Nikon's I have.  My only complaint is the relatively short eye relief compared to the Leupold.  It will "kiss' you if you're one to creep up on the scope!
Bigdaddy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2004 at 20:39

Chris, from what I have read in the past (not sure if it's accurate) the decision not to port was due to excessive noise. The porting signifantly increase the muzzle blast. By the way, I would like to tahnk everyone for the suggestions. After reading a article on the BSA Catseye and a visit to the local Bullseye gun store, I ordered the BSA 3.5-10 x50 Catseye with illuminated Euro style reticle. I ordered from riflescopes.com :) Now I just have to wait for the "Brown Truck of Happiness" to deliver it.

Here is the Article URL

http://www.gunblast.com/BSA_Catseye.htm 

And for thos who would like a great article on the Marlin 45-70's check this out.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/shootingtimes/Articles/DisplayArticles.asp?ID=3559  

Thanks All

Rob

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2004 at 22:43

I think you will be ordering a new scope in short order.

ranburr

Bigdaddy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2004 at 11:25

When I looked through the scope at my local "Bullseye" gun store the optics were very clear, the articles I read had good things to say. Gunblast.com tested it on a 45-70. It held up to the recoil. I feel pretty comfortable that it will work well with this rifle and the price leaves me in a position to pick up a 10X42 Super Sniper for my Rem 700 VS I am ordering. Seems like a Win Win!

http://www.huntinfo.com/reviews/product_reviews.php3?Action=Read&areview=1035116848 

I appreciate all the feed back.

Thanks

Rob

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2004 at 11:25
I can relate to the excessive noise.  Thanks for the order.  Stop back by once you have gotten a chance to mount it and shoot it and let us know what ya think.
SlingSwivel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlingSwivel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2004 at 08:56

BigDaddy -

Good luck with your 45-70. Great, fun round. FWIW I'm using a matte Nikon 1.5-6x42 Gold in Warne QD rings on my stainless #1 - no problems so far with ~120 handload rounds.

Sling

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2004 at 09:13
As much as I hate to agree with Ranburr, he is 100% correct. A scope that big has no useful place on a 45/70. As you stated, you do have aother use for the BSA, so all is not for loss. Like Chris and Ranburr, we are just trying to help you. Good luck with that great brush gun.
Bigdaddy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2004 at 09:48

Roy Fin, I appreciate your input. When I started this thread I failed to mention I'm not a hunter. The next time I will be more accurate. I collect and shoot guns with my son just for the heck of it. This is why I wasn't too worried about size. I was more worried about clearity, holding zero and withstanding the recoil. We will be shooting up to 200 yards so I think we may be OK with this one. If not, I will mount it on another toy.  

Thanks for the input.

This has been a great forum!

Rob

Bigdaddy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2004 at 09:52

Swing Swivel, how do like that Ruger #1?  The stainless #1 has been on my "want list" for some time. I'm a 45-70 fan and have even thought about a BFR in 45-70. Any way... Thanks for your response.

Rob

Bigdaddy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2004 at 09:54
Oops! That last one was for Sling Swivel. Sorry for the typo.
SlingSwivel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlingSwivel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2004 at 23:55

BigDaddy -

Swing, Sling, Sing, whatever as long as I can keep on swiveling

I use the #1 for elk in dark timber where most shots are less than 100 yards. It is fairly quick to point and seems balanced, but is heavy. The weight is accentuated by the Nikon scope as it is very heavy as well - but maybe that helps take some of the edge off of the recoil on the hotter handloads. Time will tell if the scope can keep it up. I've added a pre-fit LimbSaver that fits very well and does work. I really like the eye relief and lower power on the scope as it allows for a less than perfect mount in a hurry and I feel confident that I won't get an eyebrow ring (knock on wood!). The stainless and laminate have been snowed on and cleaned up easily - but maybe no easier than a blued action, so that could be a wash.

All in all it has been a good purchase. My wife likes to shoot it at the range as well. I'm still working on my son getting up the courage ro give it a whirl. I like getting razzed by the others in elk camp - we have a collection of 7mms, .300's, and one guy who shoots something new every year - I keep telling 'em slower and larger beats faster and smaller. Always fun trash talkin'

Sling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic