OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Most accurate and reliable rifle out of the box?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Most accurate and reliable rifle out of the box?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bird_hunter66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most accurate and reliable rifle out of the box?
    Posted: August/17/2011 at 14:36
Looking for a new rifle this fall and just wondered what you guys thought was the best rifle out of the box for the following?

Remington 700
Ruger M77
Winchester Model 70
Browning X-Bolt
Kimber
Weatherby Mark V

I'l looking for a .7mm-08, .25-06, .270, or .308.

Tell me what you like about the particular model that your suggesting.  Thanks guys always nice to get opinions with people who have experience with rifles.   
D. Holmes
Thundey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thundey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2011 at 14:40
really in the wrong section, but I wouldn't choose any of those.  I would choose a Savage.  Just my opinion though.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2011 at 14:53
I just bought an X-Bolt for my daughter and it's a "tack driver". I'm very impressed with it's "out of the box" accuracy.

I've always had good luck with Remington 700's.

Another one that's very good but not on your list is Sako.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2011 at 14:58
While not an xbolt, I got a 300 WSM abolt not to long ago.  With the tiny pencil barrel it shot under 1 inch with the first load I tried.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2011 at 15:08

They're all decent shooters(or you can get a lemon in any of them).  My advice would be to try as many different rifles and chamberings as you can get your hands on.  You'll find one you REALLY like.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2011 at 15:31
Moved from scope section. Carry on gents.....
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2011 at 15:43
My experience would tell me Savage is the rifle to beat coming out of the box. Whether it's a $300 dollar kid gun or a $1500 top of the line, 99% of the time you're getting a tack driver at 100 yards. I have an old model 3 in .270 that will shoot sub MOA all day long and the company has only gotten better since the 90's.

I'd steer clear of Ruger and Kimber personally. Both don't have the QC of some of the others up there imo when it comes to rifles. It's amazing how many problems i read and see regarding Kimber products. For what you pay for their products, you would expect to see mostly positive reviews.

Edited by shooter07 - August/17/2011 at 15:45
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
Dyelynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2011 at 16:01
a year(ish) ago i bought my son a tikka t3 (sako) in 270win.  the first 3 rounds i fired out of it were about .5 moa.  i bought myself a sako a7 in 7mm mag earlier this year and it has been about as accurate.

the reason i didn't buy another tikka was the magazine.  it is really easy to tap the release and drop the mag accidentally, other than that i don't have any major complaints about the rifle at all.  a lot of folks don't like the "plasticy" feel of the stock, but i don't find it any worse than any other manufacturers base line sythetic stock.

my sako... the magazine has a safety feature where  you have to press upward on the front corner to actuate the release... much less prone to accidental dropping :)  other than that, it feels really similar to the tikka... the stock has a slightly raised comb, the tikka does not.  i also did not buy the ST (soft touch) model of the A7 and kinda wish i'd spent the extra 200$ on it, but i'll probably just get a custom stock a little down the road anyway, so meh.

i also have an older rem 721 that i could never really like.  it's not the same as current 700's, but as 300 said, try a lot... if you can't shoot a lot of different rifles, at least hold a lot of different rifles, see how they feel in your hands, how the feel shouldered, ect.  if it's not comfortable to hold, it's going to be that much more difficult to get good groups with.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2011 at 16:39
If we are talking about "out of the box" performance, I would remove Remington from that list.

Everyone's mileage varies, of course, but I have never seen a (modern day) run of the mile Remington rifle that did not need some work out of the box to be able to run with out-the-box Savages, CZs and Tikkas.

Remington does make great platform guns with an abundance of available aftermarket parts, but "out of the box" I prefer other guns.

As for the rest of your choices, I have very limited experience with Brownings and Weatherbies.  Current production FN-made Winchesters are reputed to be quite good.  Ruger seems to have gotten a fair bit better in the last few years as well.

ILya
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2011 at 17:04
Well, if you take out-of-the-box to mean anything the manufacturer customarily makes available to retailers, then there are Remingtons like the 5R, LTR and PSS that qualify. But they tend to be closer to a grand when the Savages start becoming tack drivers @ less than half that. The thing with a Remington is that if you're inclined to replace parts or augment it there is quite an aftermarket for that.
Reaction time is a factor...
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2011 at 17:47
I'm now inclined to say the new Weatherby Vanguard S2 should be on that list as well, having just picked up and shot my first one. The new 2 stage match trigger is very nice, and this thing shoots lights out. For $469, I'd say Wby hit a grand slam! They are guaranteed to shoot sub-moa, and this one will easily with cheap factory winchester powerpoints. I haven't shot it enough to really know what it's capable of, (just picked it up this morning) but I pulled the first shot after getting it sighted in, (not a cold bore flyer, but a cold shooter) I then shot 2 more into a slightly oblong hole, making the whole group about .7"......I'm wanting to try again.......Without pulling the first one. My buddy shot 2 shots after that, and they went in the same hole.
On another note.....I'd say the Mark V gets a vote for reliably accurate....although maybe not tack driver accurate. You know when you buy one, it will shoot 1.5" or better, or Weatherby will make it do so. Any more I expect any new rifle to be able to shoot that well though, whether they are guaranteed to or not.

Edited by trigger29 - August/17/2011 at 17:51

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2011 at 20:12
STEYR, CZ, SAKO, SAVAGE...

No one
Thundey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thundey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2011 at 20:29
I think the best deal going is to find a savage 10/110 or stevens 200 (axis or whatever it is I would shy away from)  Buy a custom barrel and stock, maybe SSS recoil lug, and have a custom rifle for much less than anything else that would come close for the same price.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2011 at 21:31
There are plenty of things to like and not like about just about any factory rifle out there.  There is no right or wrong answer to the "which is the most accurate/ most reliable/ best out of the box rifle" question.  There are certainly some rifles that have a better reputation for precision, but there are good and bad specimens that leave every manufacturer's factories.  Which one you get is a roll of the dice.  The only way to ensure you get exactly what you want is to either buy a used rifle of proven performance or have a custom rifle built. 

All of the brands / models listed will be equally reliable for the most part, as is usually the case with bolt actions in general, being mechanically simple, robust designs.  Spending more on a rifle doesn't always yield greater precision, unless you're buying a semi-custom or custom rifle specifically built for accuracy.  In fact, when it comes to factory rifles, with few exceptions, there's really no correlation between retail price and realized precision.  Most of the time, spending extra $ provides extra features, upgraded cosmetics, better finish, nicer wood, etc... but not tighter groups on target.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2011 at 21:33
Originally posted by 338LAPUASLAP 338LAPUASLAP wrote:

STEYR, CZ, SAKO, SAVAGE...

I wondered where you've been...  How are you?

I've had really good luck with Brownings and Winchester Model 70's...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
270XBolt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 270XBolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2011 at 21:48
My vote would be for the Browning X-Bolt.  The rifles have a lot of nice features from the factory.  The looks are somewhat different but looks are subjective anyway.  I found my X-Bolt to be very accurate, especially if I allowed time for the barrel to cool when shooting for groups.

Another to consider that is not on your list is the T/C Icon.

I just bought a FN made Winchester M70 Extreme Weather and hope it is as accurate as my X-Bolt.  I can say if the accuracy on the M70 is as good as the fit and finish, then it should be a great shooting rifle.  I have a Zeiss Conquest sitting in the safe waiting for the Winchester....just waiting for the mounts to arrive!

Frankyh View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2011 at 03:18
Great site! If you have a good look at that!
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2011 at 04:19
All of my Remington M700's are great shooters. The bolts are easy to tear down and parts are everywhere.
Doug
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2011 at 07:57
I have probably owned at least 30-40 different rifles over the years maybe more. They have covered multiple versions of most of the brands you mentioned. All have been very close on the average, too close to say one is definaely going to be the best. The best shooter I believe I ever had is a older vanguard dlx 243 that would shoot into your thumb nail at 100 yds. I would say however I have tended to have very consistant luck with the remingtons I have owned bt I will say I don't believe I've owned one that has been made in the past 20 yrs. Savages have done well for me as well as rugers and the 3-4 winchesters I've had. Funny but the least impressive guns I've owned tend to be various mauser based rifles. Of all my rifles I currently have an older 700 mtn rifle that I really like and a ruger 77 in 257 that has had the stock reworked and slimmed down to close to the same contours as my mtn rifle. I just like the classic style of the mtn rifle stock and it's light weight, so of the ones you mentioned a 700 mtn rifle or maybe one of the kimbers (I've never owned one) would be my choice.

Edited by powderburn - August/18/2011 at 08:04
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2011 at 09:17
Based on customer comments over the past yr. the Savage has topped the list for out of the box accuracy. I'm often asked to take new rifles to the range and sight in and check accuracy. Most of the 700 Remingtons lately want to throw the cold bore round off from a 3 or 5 shot group. Not enough to matter if your good with 1 to 1.5 overall group but accuracy for my liking is at least under 3/4 at 100yds. I hear good talk about the Winchesters but the others we don't see around here so often.
Back to the Remingtons, if you sight to the cold bore round and shoot a cold bore group most of the time you'll get 1/2" groups but most folk don't have the patients for that.
Let us know what you go with and good luck on picking a shooter.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic