OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold Hunting vs. Tactical riflescopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longshadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold Hunting vs. Tactical riflescopes
    Posted: August/16/2011 at 17:21
     Leupold offers the same scopes in both their hunting and tactical lines (ie VX-R 1.25-4x20 Hunting vs. VX-R 1.25-4x20 Patrol Tactical).  Other than spray painting it  black and calling it "Tactical", is there any other difference to justify the $140 premium in price? 
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2011 at 17:44
Don't have an answer for you, but welcome to Optics Talk, none the less. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2011 at 18:42
thats the charge for the mil type reticle, and target turrets. you can check out the custom shop. ie you can get the hunting scope and send it in for the reticle later. but it's normally a bit cheaper to go tactical from the start.
Longshadow View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longshadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2011 at 19:05
Thank you!  The scopes will be mounted on ARs to issued to different folks on each shift. As such,
exposed adjustable target turrets that can be played with or bumped around in vechicles are a no-no.  Also, since targets are anticipated at short/intermidiate ranges in possibly low light, I think mil
type reticles will not be necessary. 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2011 at 19:25
Originally posted by Longshadow Longshadow wrote:

Thank you!  The scopes will be mounted on ARs to issued to different folks on each shift. As such,
exposed adjustable target turrets that can be played with or bumped around in vechicles are a no-no.  Also, since targets are anticipated at short/intermidiate ranges in possibly low light, I think mil
type reticles will not be necessary. 

I think that the standard VX-R scope would fit your needs very nicely then.

You should also consider Trijicon 1-4x24 and the capped version of SWFA's 1-4x24 SS:

All three are nice scopes and work well on ARs.

ILya
Longshadow View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longshadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2011 at 20:11
I use Trijicon scopes on my privately owned firearms and LOVE them!  However, the eye relief on Trijicons are claimed (optimistically, I've found) to be half that of the Leupolds.  This makes them awkward to use with glasses or protective gear (ie gas masks or riot helmets).  Also, the inserts' longevity we've found to be inconsistant.  Some last twice (or half) as long as others.  This makes
bugeting replacements difficult.  Finally, they cost almost twice as much as comparable Leupolds.  This makes Trijicon an extremely hard sell to the bean counters.  
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2011 at 14:49
sounds like you'd be better off with something like an eotech with a magnifier. granted it is a bit more $$, but you'll have a hard time knocking them out of whack.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2011 at 14:59
Originally posted by Longshadow Longshadow wrote:

I use Trijicon scopes on my privately owned firearms and LOVE them!  However, the eye relief on Trijicons are claimed (optimistically, I've found) to be half that of the Leupolds.  This makes them awkward to use with glasses or protective gear (ie gas masks or riot helmets).  Also, the inserts' longevity we've found to be inconsistant.  Some last twice (or half) as long as others.  This makes
bugeting replacements difficult.  Finally, they cost almost twice as much as comparable Leupolds.  This makes Trijicon an extremely hard sell to the bean counters.  

Well, Leupold VX-R is probably a very good option for you then.

In that same price range, there really isn't a whole lot else that offers what you are looking for, especially with the LE discount in mind.

If you decide to go up in price, there are other options.

ILya
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2011 at 20:25
I own a few Trijicons, Accupoints and Acogs
Been testing out the VXR hunting scopes and been extremely impressed with them
I have 1.25-4. 3-9 and the HAMR coming from the tactical line

Anxious to run them
I think Leupold has really stepped up recently
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic