OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Huskemaw optics, holy freak'in hell!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAPHIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2011 at 23:35
I'm new to this forum but not new to shooting and am probably more than a little biased towards Huskemaw . They have served me well.  The scope is not the secret to the Best of the West system. The real overlooked  information is how we arrive at the info printed on the turret. The ballistic program uses your drop information to make a drop chart that fits your bullet. The program will work with any scope ! Most programs, including ours, use the conditions, BC , and velocity to print a drop chart. That is great, if the Velocity and BC are correct. If they are not, the chart doesn't fit the arc at all ranges, especially the longer ranges. We use the first chart to get on paper and then , with an exact 200 yd zero and an exact mid range click count and an exact long range click count, we enter the long range data into the program. After calculating a chart with that information, we compare that chart to the mid range data If the mid range data does not match exactly, the BC must be moved up or down a few points and recalculated, the goal being to make the chart match at both the mid and long range. Once that happens, the chart will be acurate from muzzle to as far as you want to shoot for those conditions. This is printed on the turret along with the wind hold. I totally agree that most hunters are not ready to shoot 1000 yards and what I hope for in the schools is to double a shooters effective range.  Doping the wind , the up or down angle, the changes in elevation and temperature  are quite easy out to 450 or 500 yards , after that it requires a lot of practice and know how. The guys on the show are shooting about 1000 rounds a week breaking in rifles and doing data colection for scope mounts and all shoot very well and are with the hunters on the hunts coaching them all the way. Like it has been said over and over ,don't attempt these shots unless you have proved yourself repeatedly on the target range.
Phil Conklin.... shooting instructor for The Best of the West
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2011 at 06:07
Originally posted by PAPHIL PAPHIL wrote:

I'm new to this forum but not new to shooting and am probably more than a little biased towards Huskemaw . They have served me well.  The scope is not the secret to the Best of the West system. The real overlooked  information is how we arrive at the info printed on the turret. The ballistic program uses your drop information to make a drop chart that fits your bullet. The program will work with any scope ! Most programs, including ours, use the conditions, BC , and velocity to print a drop chart. That is great, if the Velocity and BC are correct. If they are not, the chart doesn't fit the arc at all ranges, especially the longer ranges. We use the first chart to get on paper and then , with an exact 200 yd zero and an exact mid range click count and an exact long range click count, we enter the long range data into the program. After calculating a chart with that information, we compare that chart to the mid range data If the mid range data does not match exactly, the BC must be moved up or down a few points and recalculated, the goal being to make the chart match at both the mid and long range. Once that happens, the chart will be acurate from muzzle to as far as you want to shoot for those conditions. This is printed on the turret along with the wind hold. I totally agree that most hunters are not ready to shoot 1000 yards and what I hope for in the schools is to double a shooters effective range.  Doping the wind , the up or down angle, the changes in elevation and temperature  are quite easy out to 450 or 500 yards , after that it requires a lot of practice and know how. The guys on the show are shooting about 1000 rounds a week breaking in rifles and doing data colection for scope mounts and all shoot very well and are with the hunters on the hunts coaching them all the way. Like it has been said over and over ,don't attempt these shots unless you have proved yourself repeatedly on the target range.
Welcome to the OT and thank you for your explanation.  I must say, your comments are much appreciated.  However, they are a little in conflict with the show's presentation, at least some of the original shows.  I quit watching, so cannot comment on any recent presentations.  Your description of the process and attitude is just what I would expect of an ethical, sound operation and I thank you, personally, for your clarification to us all.  Hoooah...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2011 at 10:03
if it walks like a duck
and quacks like a duck
shoot it
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2011 at 18:01
Kickboxer nailed it, just like he always does.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Grayghost View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grayghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2013 at 18:03
I reviewed the 3x12x42 model. Its a basically a Nikon scope with a very fine reticle that any serious hunter knows will be lost in low light conditions. Clarity is equal to a Nikon and as far as the pretty blue turret... If you've done any shooting at all chances are you've got a range card and know your ammo and drop compensation out to atleast 500 yards. Huskemaw tells you in their silly elementary dvd to print out a range card from their website, zero at 200, shoot out to 475, then move target to 850 yards. They ask that you identify the typical data; BC, load, velocity, and range conditions. So essentially all this company actually does is take all the data you send them and machine a BDC turret that assists the shooter with Yaw.
Leupold has been doing the same thing for years hint hint..... To assume Joe Dirt can take a weapon, mount this scope, and kill the trophy animal of a lifetime at 700 yards is as laughable as calling Obama a president.
Save yourself $800 and buy a Zeiss Rapid Z-600. I have this mounted on a Cooper .223 WSSM and has excellent clarity and reliability. Do not buy the Rapid Z-1000. This reticle requires the scope to be sighted in at a fixed power of say 12x then never change the power or the frontal reticle plain will lose zero and cost you a few $$ in the curse word jar.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2013 at 18:10
don't see the need to drag this 2 year old post out of the "dead letter" bin...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Crockett View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crockett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2013 at 21:40

I don't mean to be lecturing but I feel this is a really important issue!!!

This might be an old post but if you watch the hunting shows, long rang hunting is all the rage on some of them. Add that to going to gun shows and listening to a LOT of the people buying rifles from the vendors, there's not a lot of knowledgeable people out there! The long range fad added to the lack of knowledge and the anti hunters is a real concern.

I am heavily involved in fighting the animal rights loonies as a Legislative Liaison for a couple of dog clubs. The animal rights loonies will use anything they can to further their agenda -- which is to eventually outlaw all animal ownership as well as to outlaw all hunting. Long range hunting is too easily condemned by the animal rights loonies and we’ll all be lumped into the unethical category by embracing the long range fad.

I understand a lucky few of us are capable of long range hunting but that’s a fantasy for most of us. Most people trying a long range shot (300 or 400+ yards) will either make a clean miss or worse yet, wound the unlucky animal only to die a slow death.

I feel we should all speak up whenever this subject comes up and condemn it as harmful to our passion. 

If you’re capable of making a long rage shot, more power to you! But it’s not something that will be beneficial for us to be encouraging or even talking about because of the lack of knowledge by most hunters – and because of those wacko loonies that are out to stop all hunting and/or to take away our second amendment rights!

pc4life View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pc4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2013 at 11:49
I have seen most of these "outdoor" shows and the one with husk. always shows the animal dropping in its tracks from what I have seen.
I wonder if the buying of high end optics is reason for that. I have shot a few animals who have dropped in their tracks but, most have run 40-50 yards before expiring.

Curious, if the animal knows if the optic targeting it says husk. swaro, Zeiss, etc. on it. Because, I am sure the the hunters peers know and are looking.
Jones'n is alive and well in the field on the range as well as most parts of everyday life. The sham-wow cures what ales ya.

Edited by pc4life - August/03/2013 at 12:09
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2013 at 12:13
I guess long range hunting needs to be defined.
3-400 isn't long range to me, that's a longer shot but with a decent rifle and glass and a good rest it's cake..  Now, you get past 6-700 then that is what most people consider long range..
Bullet time in flight, wind, etc.. 

Banging steel plates at 1K isn't the same as hunting at 750
I think most people will refrain from making shots they haven't practiced extensively at.
At least I hope so... If you can't bust a clay pidgeon every time at a given distance you shouldn't be shooting that far.

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Obi Wan Kenobi View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obi Wan Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2013 at 19:52
Originally posted by pc4life pc4life wrote:

I have seen most of these "outdoor" shows and the one with husk. always shows the animal dropping in its tracks from what I have seen.
I wonder if the buying of high end optics is reason for that. I have shot a few animals who have dropped in their tracks but, most have run 40-50 yards before expiring.

Curious, if the animal knows if the optic targeting it says husk. swaro, Zeiss, etc. on it. Because, I am sure the the hunters peers know and are looking.
Jones'n is alive and well in the field on the range as well as most parts of everyday life. The sham-wow cures what ales ya.

Something that people have to notice about this long range shooting craze. Now in my humble opinion it can be done with relative ease with some practice with big targets. The most important things are high powered scope 14 power or higher, a bullet with a high BC and a steady rest in the prone position. I would suggest using a magnum caliber with a 24 plus inch barrel.

Really is shooting at a mature elk at 450-600 yards with a 20x scope laying down & he's perfectly still and has no clue you are there. Is that really impossible to hit inside an 20 inch kill zone?

If you look at these guys when they shoot they are using a front tripod and a rear tripod to hold the gun rock solid. That & a high powered scope are the key. Its a huge difference in shooting at something 500 yards away with a 10x sitting in a tree vs  20x laying down flat and steady.

That being said my long range is 400 yards I might shoot at an elk or moose at 450. I believe proghorn, deer and sheep the vitals are just too small to be shooting at past 400 yards for the average guy.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2013 at 20:58
Swirling, gusting, inconsistent winds make fools out of the long range experts. 
Obi Wan Kenobi View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obi Wan Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2013 at 21:36
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

Yep thats a good point also. Anything over 5 mph boy you are taking a chance.
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2013 at 22:29
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

Bull.  Posers, Newbies and Wannabes?  Yes.  And unfortunately they vastly outnumber the "experts."

"Experts" in any field, including long range shooting, are by and large humble and realistic about their capabilities.  Because they know enough to know what those who aren't sound like when they're not.

An "Expert" will be the first guy to tell you when a medium or even short range shot--much less a long one--is a low percentage prospect due to the conditions.  They're the ones likely to identify conditions, even the less obvious ones, that make it so.  That's one of the more important skills their vast experience has taught them that can't be learned by buying a new product after watching an infomercial.

Of course many who know little about the subject (even those who once shot a rock at 900 yds and think that means they have a clue what they're talking about) don't know enough to know the difference between the two groups of people--which is where you get comments like the one quoted above.  They're just as wrong as the Newbie who thinks his new Huskemaw makes him a 900yd killer.

Don't get me wrong, no matter how good somebody is he will always be "fooled" occasionally.  But that's something entirely different than "being made a fool."
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2013 at 08:49
Jon, I appreciate you response.
A smart guy knows his limitations and when a good shot can be made or not.
An ethical experienced hunter is one who listens to that inner voice and lets the game walk for another day.

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2013 at 09:39
Should have known to write "experts", or "so called experts" which is what I meant, so Jon A is right in that regard.  With the media exposure, marketing, etc nowadays LR hunting is made to look too easy.   
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2013 at 10:35
No shortcuts for practice

pc4life View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pc4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2013 at 12:35
Ya betcha!
The brand is everything. Swaro, Zeiss, Huskemaw, etc. means dead game! Materialism is the be all end all when it comes to optics ~ people should know their place in this world!
pc4life View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pc4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2013 at 13:34
Furthermore, you snooze you loose if don't listen to the "perts". The name on the gear is where its at. Thought speak is wisdom with a different name so listen to the "perts". ~ the thought speak and Soylent Green are there free for all some just don't know any better sad but true.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2013 at 14:36
Originally posted by pc4life pc4life wrote:

Ya betcha!
The brand is everything. Swaro, Zeiss, Huskemaw, etc. means dead game! Materialism is the be all end all when it comes to optics ~ people should know their place in this world!

You seem to be entirely missing the point of this thread: Huskimaw is a name without capabilities, they do not belong in the same category as Swaro or Zeiss.  All 3 are pricey, no doubt, but spending doesn't equal getting quality.

Brand is most definitely not everything.  I have a few SS scopes (made by SWFA) that I consider great quality, but nowhere near "brand" recognition - or price - of Swaro or Zeiss or others.

Most people are sheep, marketing works, Huskemaw is proof of this.  Then there's the idiot at the range that says "spending more than $300 on a scope is a waste" and his target at 100 yards looks like he shot it at 20 yards with 12 gauge bird shot.

There is very good quality inexpensive glass and there is very expensive crap; the trick is knowing which is which.  Many here have experience with both.  You don't have to listen, or even agree, it's your money, proceed accordingly.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
pc4life View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pc4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2013 at 15:18
Rancid ~ is it?
Are you really "Rancid Coolaid" or just like calling yourself that.
I don't think I have missed the point or maybe I have. Why I brought up Oakley they known for the pieces of plastic you put on your face but, also put their name on backpacks, clothing and such. Just like GNC they don't "make" any of these things they sell with their brand on them they just go with lowest bidder making "their brand" ~ smoke and mirrors for the hip.

If the shepherds can herd the sheep in their direction more power to them. All for it capitalism is a great thing and what throngs don't know will not hurt them.

If it feels good do it ~ is that how it goes. The bling is what gets noticed and whether it is any better or not does not matter ~ no one is going to have any confidence in perceived junk from peers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic