OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

wolf hunt?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wolf hunt?
    Posted: August/15/2011 at 19:40
Assuming no more hangups, I have a wolf tag i really want to fill. Anyone want to go along? I am looking at the first week of rifle season so I can get one before the quota is filled.

To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2011 at 19:43
I will just be carrying a wolf tag while hunting for other species.  I laid eyes on two last season.
-Matt
Thundey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thundey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2011 at 19:53
I saw a great big ole boy last year.  I would swear that he would have pushed 250lbs.  And no he wasn't afraid of me in the least.  Just stood there eyeballing me.

Just as a safety precaution guys, most of the wolves running around carry a nasty tapeworm that will invade your brain and other organsLoco. Echinococcus granulosus is their official name, but trust me you don't want to get these.  So that being said even just touching the fur can be a point of transfer for an egg. dogs lick their anus and then lick themselves/others.  I think 8 out 10 wolves have been confirmed as carriers of these fatal worms.  I didn't use to carry latex gloves in the field but now you wont see me without a couple pair in my pack.

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2011 at 19:54
I will be hunting other animals as well, but I will be looking hard for a wolf. I might have access to a couple ranches that have told me in the past I could shoot a wolf for me. And the best part is they will be scouting for me.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Thundey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thundey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2011 at 19:57
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2010/jan/20/tapeworms-infect-packs/

Here is story you should read.

Only part I can't agree with is when 'they' say they don't know how it got here and so widespread. 
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2011 at 21:26
Dude, if I see any around I'll be sure to let you know. But if we go hunting together and you get one, I'll watch the horses while you spray it down with insecticide. Big Smile

Seriously though, I'll keep an eye out. There's one area I go fishing near here where they've been around on a ranch with block management. Also, am looking to hunt elk in the Little Belts this year in early Nov.
Reaction time is a factor...
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2011 at 23:53
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

Assuming no more hangups, I have a wolf tag i really want to fill. Anyone want to go along? I am looking at the first week of rifle season so I can get one before the quota is filled.

Not all of us know when that is, Drew...  How about a hint???  I'm still trying to get free to come visit and hunt with you. 
We'll have to discuss the wolf, though. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
anomad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2011 at 15:59
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Not all of us know when that is, Drew...  How about a hint???  I'm still trying to get free to come visit and hunt with you. 

Its right before the second week of rifle season. The week before.
anomad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2011 at 16:08
Originally posted by Thundey Thundey wrote:

I saw a great big ole boy last year.  I would swear that he would have pushed 250lbs.  And no he wasn't afraid of me in the least.  Just stood there eyeballing me.

Just as a safety precaution guys, most of the wolves running around carry a nasty tapeworm that will invade your brain and other organsLoco. Echinococcus granulosus is their official name, but trust me you don't want to get these.  So that being said even just touching the fur can be a point of transfer for an egg. dogs lick their anus and then lick themselves/others.  I think 8 out 10 wolves have been confirmed as carriers of these fatal worms.  I didn't use to carry latex gloves in the field but now you wont see me without a couple pair in my pack.

How is the worm fatal?

Also, the article says "A human would have to come into oral contact with a wolf’s feces to contract the tapeworm, Foreyt said."
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2011 at 16:26
is that some time near rifle season or is it after bow season?Excellentwould it be before duck season? or after turkey season?  Dan I hope you get to do that.
P.S.  -  Here is a photo of Kickboxer.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - August/16/2011 at 16:36

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Thundey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thundey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2011 at 19:50
Originally posted by anomad anomad wrote:

Originally posted by Thundey Thundey wrote:

How is the worm fatal?

Also, the article says "A human would have to come into oral contact with a wolf’s feces to contract the tapeworm, Foreyt said."

The worm is fatal when it invades your organs and eventually causes failure of said organs.  Depending in which and what they travel into.  I think they are most likely found in your liver, and kidneys, but also can be in your brain or really any other part of your body.  I don't think it much matters to them.  They have a unique way of being a nasty parasite.  Once an egg is ingested the worm hatches where it then eats its way into an artery and is then carried around the body to some place that it finds favorable.  It then burrows into the flesh in that area and makes a cyst around itself.  It sits in a more or less dormant stage but still growing.  Once these cysts become large enough they shut it(organs) down much like a cancerous growth would.  I think last year there were two confirmed cases of human infection in Montana.  Found by accident, while performing a ct scan or similar.

To come into contact with these eggs may be easier than one thinks.  Shooting a wolf and then handling it can dislodge an egg onto your clothing or hands.  Now if you put something into your mouth following this, you've just possibly infected yourself.  Also stepping in wolf feces may bring these into your vehicle or house, where you may totally inadvertently infect yourself.

I guess if one could call it this, the beauty of this system is that once this worm kills it host, scavengers (like wolves) come and eat the carcass ingesting the cysts.  Once the cyst has been eaten and is exposed to stomach acid, the tape worm reactivates itself and then goes and attaches itself in the intestinal tract, where it continues to lay eggs by the thousand. 

Really not trying to freak anyone out with this mantra, just thought you might like to be more educated about it!  There is also plenty of information available online if you google "Echinococcus granulosus" Or "wolf tapeworm"  I think it's just another reason we should be rid of the suckers.  The enviro's want to complain that wolves are needed in the ecosystem, but what they don't realize is that other animals like the endangered grizzly are prone to getting these fatal worms.  And in case you're wondering there are a whole less of them than there are wolves.  With the introduction of these animals that were carrying these nasty parasitic worms the enviro's might have caused the extinction of grizzly in the lower 48.  just a little food for thought.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2011 at 21:37
Thundey,

I wouldn't get too worked up over Echinococcus granulosus.  It is a tapeworm that is transmitted through the cysts, which are found in the fecal matter.  It can rarely be contracted by humans, but a wolf to human infection has never been documented.  Human cases have been documented with sheepherders and others that come into close prolonged contact with their dogs and their dogs' feces. (Echinococcus granulosus in Wolves, Dr. Krysten Schuler, PHD, 2010)  The most common type of transmission is the result of oral consumption of feces from an infected end host canine.  It is also commonly found in coyotes, foxes, and feral dogs.  The intermediary hosts are usually ungulates like deer and elk, which also carry the cysts. 

I think wearing latex gloves while skinning and field dressing is a great precaution for many diseases carried by wild animals.  Cleaning a pelt and washing your hands after handling a carcass or pelt are also great precautions, but this parasite is low on the worry list.

The anti-wolf side has the real facts to back up their position.  Our side of the issue doesn't need to misrepresent facts to make wolves look bad, they make themselves look bad enough by killing thousands of livestock and tens of thousands of wild game animals.
-Matt
Thundey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thundey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2011 at 21:48
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Thundey,

I wouldn't get too worked up over Echinococcus granulosus.  It is a tapeworm that is transmitted through the cysts, which are found in the fecal matter.  It can rarely be contracted by humans, but a wolf to human infection has never been documented.  Human cases have been documented with sheepherders and others that come into close prolonged contact with their dogs and their dogs' feces. (Echinococcus granulosus in Wolves, Dr. Krysten Schuler, PHD, 2010)  The most common type of transmission is the result of oral consumption of feces from an infected end host canine.  It is also commonly found in coyotes, foxes, and feral dogs.  The intermediary hosts are usually ungulates like deer and elk, which also carry the cysts. 

I think wearing latex gloves while skinning and field dressing is a great precaution for many diseases carried by wild animals.  Cleaning a pelt and washing your hands after handling a carcass or pelt are also great precautions, but this parasite is low on the worry list.

The anti-wolf side has the real facts to back up their position.  Our side of the issue doesn't need to misrepresent facts to make wolves look bad, they make themselves look bad enough by killing thousands of livestock and tens of thousands of wild game animals.

My goal here isn't to freak people out or misrepresent facts, but I just thought I would give those who might not be aware the information to decide for themselves how to handle one of these animals should they be successful.  But to clarify, the worms (that you should be worried about) aren't transmitted as a cyst.  Yeah they would suck to get but wouldn't kill you, while if you somehow ingest an egg it can potentially kill you. (it turns into the cyst)

Granted you have to ingest fecal matter, but as I stated this can accidentally occur from many avenues.  Probably the most likely would be handling a pelt from a wold and then using chewing tobacco or smokes or even a snack while hunting.

Again not trying to freak anyone out, as risks from infection are low.  JUST AN FYI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2011 at 22:06
Thundey,

I didn't mean to make you think I was pointing the finger at you.  I just get irritated when some groups and websites are using fear-mongering to push their anti-wolf agenda, when it just makes the rest of us look irrational.  We need to use solid facts and science to battle the wolf-loving, irrational, so-called "environmentalists."
-Matt
Thundey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thundey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2011 at 23:14

Thundey,

I didn't mean to make you think I was pointing the finger at you.  I just get irritated when some groups and websites are using fear-mongering to push their anti-wolf agenda, when it just makes the rest of us look irrational.  We need to use solid facts and science to battle the wolf-loving, irrational, so-called "environmentalists."

I would agree with this, but many just aren't bright enough to get "it"  Recently I gave a speech at a college about wolves and depredation and the effects it has been causing, and was met with much skepticism about my speech.  The things people say like, "my professor told me wolves won't ever kill a person"  Well all you have to do is spend a couple minutes behind google and you'll soon find out that while rare it does occur.  Twice in the past year actually.(in North America)

Or this response, "well couldn't you argue that there are just too many people?"  I was getting a little short by this time and told them that the logic in that statement did have some truth.  I asked if there were any volunteers that wanted to curb the issue by joining a wolf feeding program.  Unfortunately no-one opted for that.

So,... even with solid facts many choose to ignore them blatantly, regardless of what data you provide them, or pictures.  The ungulates are getting slaughtered currently and in some areas have taken such a large impact that the genetic diversity of the animals is now compromised.

At this point I'm hoping that Season will continue as planned.  I guess shortly we'll find out.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2011 at 07:12
IS this freakin Web MD or a optics/hunting site?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2011 at 14:09
SVT,

The wolf issue is really important to those of us dealing with it in our backyards.  A neighbor of mine shot a wolf while it was attacking sheep a few weeks ago.

I really hope I can put my tag on one.

-Matt
Thundey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thundey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2011 at 14:16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvWJR8wbawQ

Might be a little on the biased side of things.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2011 at 14:33

SVT,

The wolf issue is really important to those of us dealing with it in our backyards.  A neighbor of mine shot a wolf while it was attacking sheep a few weeks ago.

I really hope I can put my tag on one.

I dont' doubt that but a mans thread offering a tag along on his hunt may not be the place for such, just saying,

carry on
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2011 at 15:17
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Sorry Dan. Rifle season for unit other than back country opens for deer, elk, mountain lion, and wolf on the 22nd of October. You could buy a wolf tag over the counter, but they are pretty spend over for out of state. About 350 I think.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic