OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > The Range Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Remington 405gr .45-70 ammo in a GG

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remington 405gr .45-70 ammo in a GG
    Posted: August/14/2011 at 21:15

Figure I'd put this up in case someone needed to know.  I had just enough time to check the Marlin GG's poi (so I didn't plug the chrono) and fire 3rds through the chrono before a bunch of storms set in.  It was a PERFECT sky for the chrono.  3 shots avged 1260fps @15' (Rem specs say 1330 out of maybe a 22"bbl). Now to develop a load. 
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2011 at 21:52
What length barrel you got?  18.5?
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2011 at 22:08

It's the SIL's but yea 18 1/2".  It is FUN to shoot!
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2011 at 09:08
I have a handi rifle in 45/70, it makes a big boom, and a big hole.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2011 at 10:24
My next big bore will be a 45/70... probably.  I've had a hankering for a "fun gun" for a while and 45/70 seems to fit the bill.  I'm thinking of something in lever action, but am partial to the Ruger #1's for this type of firearm. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2011 at 11:35

Always thought a .45-70 #3 would be cool.  Looks kinda representitive of the same era.

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2011 at 20:55
I like the Remington loads and they shoot okay in my gun.

I also like my Ruger #1 with a 1-4x24 Kahles CSX. I wish it liked the Remington loads better and I would like to  try loading down for them. I just love dumping a huge load of 4895 in the case too much, though.........they kick pretty good.

Doug
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2011 at 15:08

Excellent   FINE looking piece,Doug.
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2011 at 19:28
Thanks Earl, it's my latest black bear gun. The balance is sweet. I didn't want to scope it but that Kahles glass with the illumination makes low light hunting very easy in the bear swamps.
Doug
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2011 at 19:46
I love it...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2011 at 20:25
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

I love it...

Oh yeah, and you know a bit about #1's too! Ruger has always given them special attention per Bill Ruger himself.
Doug
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2011 at 21:10
To say that I am "partial" to the Ruger #1 is a gross understatement.  I almost bought one in 45/70 while I was in Iraq, but got "distracted" and didn't close the auction.  I WILL have one soon.  It will be hard to get it looking as nice as yours, though. 
What a great rifle...

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2011 at 13:46

Yes it is!  I missed out (had no money) on a NICE used #1 Tropical in .375 H&H back in the late 70's.  I still wake up with cold sweats.

Anyways,here's my SIL's GG.  VERY handy package.
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2011 at 14:36
That is cool looking with that short tube. It looks like it would be easy to carry all day.
Doug
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic