OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Pentax SP 8x43

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cropslx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pentax SP 8x43
    Posted: August/13/2011 at 15:56
I have a pair of Pentax SP 8x43's. I use these for deer hunting in woods and fields. Is it worth upgrading to another binocular in the $500 price range or would there not be much improvement? I have had these for about 5 or 6 years and have no complaints. Just wondered if there has been a big break through in bins :)
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2011 at 17:01

I have owned the Pentax SP 8x43 and 8x32. Excellent binoculars and certainly one of the benchmark roof prism binoculars from 5 or 6 years ago. They were the proverbial step-up from the Nikon Monarchs. In many ways they were compared directly with the Alpha binoculars of their time. I do believe they originally sold right around the $600 price point.

The two improvements you are going to see in comparing the SPs with any of the current high-performers at/around the $500 price point is in the field of view and in color fringing control. Nowadays the mid-price, high end performers all incorporate some type of ED (extra low dispersion) glass in the objectives to produce an image with low levels of chromatic aberration. This typically produces a sharper image. In addition many bins at or under the $500 price point incorporate dielectric coating on the roof prisms. This increases apparent brightness and contrast. Lastly, most of the 8x42(3)s have a noticeably wider field of view. The SP had a 330 foot field of view at 1000 yards. The newer models now have 420-430 foot fields of view.

So, to summarize, I would say there has been a big breakthrough in bins at this price point in the last two or three years.
Frank
cropslx View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cropslx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2011 at 17:20
THANKS FrankD!!!! That is good info right there. If I remember correctly I paid $425 delivered. I found a site that sold them at a low price and SWFA did the 110% price match. How much do you think I could sell them for and get a new pair? The wife is going to love this one :)
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2011 at 22:18
The Pentax SPs are still a fine-performing bin, save the mentioned FOV and CA issues.  There is still a used market for them.  See what they are going for on that giant auction site.
-Matt
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2011 at 07:31
I agree. You should be able to get $250-$300 for them if they are in very good condition.
Frank
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic