OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sig 556 budget Optics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notTomThumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sig 556 budget Optics
    Posted: August/13/2011 at 01:10
I just purchased a new Sig 556.  I'm a fairly experienced pistol shooter but am new to the world of rifles and am looking for some help on what optics to be looking at.  I went a little over budget on the rifle and can't spend over $200 on a sight at the moment.  I will primarily be shooting at 30-100 yards and am leaning towards a red dot.  Any input or suggestions are appreciated, thanks
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2011 at 09:22
I really suggest you wait until you can afford a better scope. With red dot  scopes I like Aimpoint which is about the only one where your head position behind the scope does not make a difference so the dot is always on targer with Aiimpoint.  The 9000L model will mount in a one piece ringmount.  The truth is that most good scope mounts alone without the scope are  in the $200 range.  La Rue, BoBro, GG&G.
There is a deal on the 2-7 Vortex Viper which puts it in your price range and SWFA has a one piece mount that should work for it.  Personally I would stay with iron sights at the distance you are talking until you can afford a good scope.  What I consider a good scope for an AR is Trijicon ACOG or compact ACOG  or an Aimpoint Comp M4s or an EOTech. If you are talking one with tactical knobs the Super Sniper line is the best for the money but there are some Leupolds I like very much also like the fixed 6x42 FX3.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
notTomThumb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notTomThumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2011 at 11:28
my main problem with the iron sight is my inability to keep an eye closed.  I have a lot of eye problems and squinting to focus one eye on the iron sight for more than one magazine is just about impossible for me.  My friend recommended an eye patch but I want to be comfortable with this gun in normal conditions, and don't see that happening with iron sights.
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2011 at 00:07
Trijicons especially, and red dots in general are ideal for shooting with both eyes open. Save up and get something good. If you spend 200. on a scope you are apt to be disappointed.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notTomThumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2011 at 12:23
What about Bushnell?  I understand that if i save up i can get a better product, but for my purposes i really can't justify spending upwards of $600 on a scope.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2011 at 14:11
Welcome to the OT!

Given the limitations you presently have,you might want to hunt through the SWFA Sample list.You can get some fantastic deals there.I myself have purchased at least 5 scopes off the list & have never once been sorry.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2011 at 19:16
Personally, I would save up a could hundred more dollars. Then get on the sample list and buy one of the Aimpoint Comp M2s with the quick release mounts with it and the flip up caps. I think I got mine for about 420 plus shipping. It would be perfect for your ranges.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notTomThumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2011 at 19:36
I've looked over the list some, and i may take that advice and shoot with the iron sights in the meantime.  Are there any differences in the product itself i would get off that website from a normal retail site?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notTomThumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2011 at 19:42
Originally posted by notTomThumb notTomThumb wrote:

I've looked over the list some, and i may take that advice and shoot with the iron sights in the meantime.  Are there any differences in the product itself i would get off that website from a normal retail site?
 nevermind, I see the Demo grades now
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notTomThumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2011 at 00:03
http://www.samplelist.com/Aimpoint-CompM3-Red-Dot-Sight-DEMO-A-P3075.aspx  In addition to a sight like this, what would i need to mount it to a picatinny rail
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2011 at 07:07
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notTomThumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2011 at 14:54
I've been looking online, and think i willsave up and get an EOTech 512, it sounds perfect for my uses and i found it under $400 around the web
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2011 at 16:08
if you're hell bent, that optisan SVT reviewed seems like a worthy choice. or a vortex strikefire. i have a strike fire, while not an aimpoint, it's still a good choice.
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2011 at 18:38
If its not too late my 2 cents...

Aimpoint = very good, easy to use, works great, dead nutz, no mag though.

EO Tech 512 = seems more fragile then aimpoint though not really sure, mount is included with it though so no extra cost, and works great, no problems there either.  Seemed to me more dot distortion or fuzziness in the red aiming point then say the aimpoint.

Something like Burris Tac 30 1-4 illuminated = I have the Burris as well, but others similar.  For the Burris, very clear, can set at 1x and use with both eyes open, crank it down to 4 and extend accurate reach a bit, and illuminated with calibrated drops for 62 grn rounds.

My vote is the Burris first, aimpoint 2nd, EO tech third.
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2011 at 10:17
For a fixed 1x red dot...look no further than an Aimpoint. Accept no substitutes!!   

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2011 at 11:08
Aimpoint is my favorite of all red-dot-type scopes, ACOG second.  I don't care much for the Elcans and EoTechs, but they will do in a pinch.  There are a few new offerings out that I have not tried yet, look good, but I can't speak to them until I get a chance to play with them. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notTomThumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2011 at 01:04
i tried an EOTech on my rifle several days ago, liked it a lot and decided to go with that
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2011 at 05:52
Originally posted by notTomThumb notTomThumb wrote:

i tried an EOTech on my rifle several days ago, liked it a lot and decided to go with that

Best of luck. I ran a Eotech 553 for awhile. Good optic. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic