OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

In need of a rugged and reliable scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novusordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: In need of a rugged and reliable scope
    Posted: August/11/2011 at 14:41
Hey everyone, since my BSA 30mm 1.5-6x 44mm IR Jaguar scope broke on me for no good reason at all and would never hold a zero reliably anyway. I'm now after a scope will last me a lifetime or atleast for many decades to come.

As I'm pretty new to the world of shooting and scopes, I would like to know which scopes out there have proven themselves over many years to be ultra-reliable at holding a zero even while taking mild knocks and bumps.

I'm not after cyrstal clear perfectionist glass becuase I never shoot beyond 50 yards and I have no need for a magnification beyond 6x. I only use my gun for hunting bunnies and pidgeons both equally during day time and night time lamping using a scope-mounted LED Lenser P7 torch.

Basically I want a scope with the limited features of a budget scope, but with the build-quality of serious military-grade high-end scope.

I've been reccomended a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x 40mm with DBU reticle which seems to be an ideal scope for me feature-wise, but is the build-quality good enough to consider it a scope that will last a lifetime?

Would I be better off saving up a while longer and buying a Burris Fullfield II which is over-kill feature/performance wise, but by all accounts I've read posesses the rugged build-quality I'm desperately seeking in a hunting scop.

Any advice will be much appreciated!

ps. my gun is a UK-legal 11.7ft lbs Weihrauch HW80 .22 air rifle

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2011 at 15:37
This is the one I would get.  http://swfa.com/Vortex-2-7x32-Viper-Rifle-Scope-P11227.aspx  It was originally priced around $300 I believe.  Great glass, very durable, and Vortex has excellent CS.  We have a member here who uses his on a .375 H&H.  So they are crazy tough.

For $150, they are hard to pass up.  I got one on a .243 and like it a lot.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2011 at 15:45
I think he lives over in the UK from his last comment.  SWFA's sales wouldnt' apply.
Novusordo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novusordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2011 at 15:53
Yep UK here.
Tried searching for Vortex Viper scopes in the UK but can't find anything.

Vortex Viper Rifle Scopes

Novusordo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novusordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2011 at 18:44
Would the Nikon ProStaff scope be suitible for hunting and the knocks and bumps that go with it, or do I need to spend more to get the rugged build-quality needed??
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2011 at 07:17
I had a prostaff that held up for years of abuse and never gave me an issue.  The key would be finding a company over there with a presence in servicing them if something happened.
Novusordo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novusordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2011 at 12:31
Hi SVT, is your ProStaff still going strong?
I have a friend who works in a camera shop and can get Nikon stuff at discounted rate so I'm currently waiting on him to see if he can get me a ProStaff 3-9x 40mm for less than £150 delivered.

I have another questions.
Are fixed power scopes more reliable than variable power ones due to less moving parts... sort of like a revolver versus a semi automatic handgun. I'm considering getting the £230 Burris FullField II 6x 40mm fixed power scope for absolute ultimate long-term reliability and ruggedness.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2011 at 13:09
i traded it in a couple years ago but yes it was
Novusordo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novusordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2011 at 13:32
Thats good to hear.

I reckon I will buy the Burris Fullfield II 6x fixed power scope in the next couple of days then in the near future buy the Nikkon ProStaff as a back up scope.

Am I correct in my thinking that fixed power scopes are harder to damage than variable zoom scopes?
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2011 at 13:35
typically there are less moving parts in a fixed power scope so less to break but that doesnt' always translate into "tougher"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2011 at 13:55
I have two magnum springers, a Webley Patriot and a RWS 350. They have substantial two way recoil. A Weaver or Leupold rimfire scope will hold up for sure. All Leupold scopes are rated for spring guns, BTW.
I have a few Nikon and Burris scopes and have found them to be reliable, too. I think the 3-9 rimfire versions of both brands would also be a good choice.
Number one of all brands listed would be the 3-9x33 EFR from Leupold. It is an outstanding scope. The optics are clear and it is light weight. That is important because scope movement is always a problem with springers.
Welcome to O.T.
Doug
Novusordo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novusordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2011 at 14:57
Great first hand advice, thank you - exactly what I was looking for.

I'm now pretty dead-set on a fixed power scope since reliability and longevity are my primary concerns.
I can get a second hand Schmidt Bender 6x 42mm fixed power scope for £260 which is only £30 more than the Burris Fullfield II 6x 40mm.

Anyone know what this S&B is parralexed to bearing in mind the 50 yard max range I shoot within.
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2011 at 11:13
The Schmidt Bender is set at 100m. http://www.schmidtbender.com/parallax.htm
That should prove to be an excellent scope. Though a fixed 6X may limit your ability to pick up small targets under ten yards. I had a 6X42 Leupold on the Webley for a short time. It was great except for the mentioned close in shots.
Doug
Novusordo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novusordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2011 at 13:16
Ok I need a quick answer to this question.

I have the choice of the following two scopes but I need help deciding which is the best to go for.

both are fixed 6 power scopes.

£260 Shmidt Bender x6 40mm Hungarian 25mm
£230 Burris Fullfield II x6 40mm 25mm

The reason I'm going for fixed power is for ultimate reliability and ruggedness so my mind IS set on that one!

I hear the S&B scopes don't cope well with the double recoil of a springer, is this true or not or would the Burris be the better choice for the violent recoil of a .22 HW80 springer (11.7ft lbs)? Even if the S&B can indeed cope with the recoil of a springer just as well as the Burris, is it worth paying the extra £30 for it bearing in mind I don't shoot beyond 50 yards (yet, lol) and I will be using the scope for hunting only, ...lamping at night just as much as hunting in the day so light gathering ability is useful to me.

I would appreciate quick replies as the S&B scope is on private sale elsewhere and so could be snapped up by someone any day now.
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2011 at 14:01
I don't know much about S&B so can't comment on spring gun reliability. The glass is supposed to be excellent.
The Burris 6x40 should be a good scope and as all Burris scopes, spring gun rated. I don't have any problems with Burris glass for most uses. I have both FF and Signature lenses.
Doug
Novusordo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novusordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2011 at 06:04
Well I went with the Burris Fullfield II fixed 6 power from Uttings. It has just arrived, I have just unpacked it and...

1. there are milky white stains on part of the scope tube.
2. the windage and elevation turrets show signs of use
3. looking through the scope i can see the inner tube has thousands of specs of dust and much of the internal parts are visable and look very unfinished.
4. the general finish of the scope looks very poor quality such as the turret markings and all other markings being painted on rather than etched.
5. the lens cover guard has specs of dried white paint all over it and the warranty card is bent and has a few black smudges on it.

Why the hell was I charged £230 for this? This is a rip off and clearly a used scope.
Novusordo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novusordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2011 at 06:09
MY CHEAP CHINESE MADE BSA JAGUAR SCOPE HAS JUST AS CLEAR GLASS,  MUCH BETTER QUALITY FINISH AND ALL MARKINGS ARE LASER-ETCHED IN TO THE TUBE BODY!
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2011 at 07:13
Loco
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2011 at 09:50
There is something very wrong with this and would try for a refund. I can't believe Burris would let something like that past QC.
Doug
Novusordo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Novusordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2011 at 10:45
Hi.

Indeed, I'm shocked, but also somewhat pleased becuase the wuality of the finish is absolute crap. Why the hell should I pay £230 for markings that are painted on and not laser etched? RIP OFF.

When I get my £235 back I'm going for either a MEOPTA Artemis 2000 4x32 or the 6x42mm model. What do you guys think of the Meopta's? I've heard good things about their toughness and long life-spans.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic