OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sako mounting options?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sako mounting options?
    Posted: January/21/2006 at 14:59

Since I can no longer order a Winchester, sad news, I think I'm goin' get a Sako Grey Wolf in .300 wsm. Did a little research this morning and found that the Sakos have  integrated bases on the receiver. Also found out that their ringmounts cost several hundred dollars. What's a good alternative? I'd like to find a silver version so that really limits things. Are the Leupold mounts very sturdy? Thanks for any ideas, Sam

Edited by samuel
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2006 at 17:19

I had a Sako M75. I'm not sure if the receivers are the same though.

Talley makes a good ring/mount, as does Conetrol.

Leupold rings worked OK too for me too. 

I think the Conetrols are the best of the bunch.

I loathed the Opti Locs, (ie Sako rings).....

Too high (even the low ones), too expensive, and those $*^#$&(& hex head screws about made me go Postal!!   

The metal for the hex head screws was so soft that they stripped out after the first install.

But, no worries...Beretta will sell you new ones for around $6 a piece.

Save your money and your hair friend. Get a set of one the rings I mentioned.

Actually, the Leupold rings worked fairly well for the money.

The stainless finish of these rings is a good match for the stainless finish of the rifle.  

The M75 SS, with a stainless Conquest and those stainless Loopie rings made for a sexy setup.....Best of luck and congrats on a truly great rifle!! 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Infidel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2006 at 00:50
The Grey Wolf (best bolt action rifle there is) comes with a set of Optilock bases and rings, 1", usually the "low", blued, no choice.  The Optilock bases and rings are solid, strong, but heavy, and higher than most manufacturers' rings.  The 1" low rings that came with mine work well for 50mm AO scopes, plenty of clearance.  They use a plastic liner, sorta like Burris Signature, but not exactly the same, so that they grip the scope well and don't mar its finish. 

The Optilock bases are made in two versions,- the ones that come with the short action rifles have the ring at the front of the base, the ones made for long actions put the ring at the rear of the base.  If you want to mount a short scope well back on the action to bring the ocular closer to your eye, then you might want the long-action bases.

Chances are, the mounts that come with the rifle will serve your purpose just fine, if you are using a 1" scope.

The several-hundred -dollar ringmounts are for the TRG-22 and TRG-42 specialty rifles, not for the 75. 

Check the mounting charts at the Sako mounts page under "Technical Specifications" for downloadable, printable one-page summaries of the dimensions and part numbers.  Eschew the cheater bars and the screws won't strip. 

Enjoy,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2006 at 06:32

Originally posted by Infidel Infidel wrote:

Eschew the cheater bars and the screws won't strip. 

The head of the screws are the problem. No cheater bar needed!!

Their not even torx head screws.

For the price they ask for the Opti's, they should be able to have a cheater bar put to them. 

Welcome to Optics Talk, Infidel.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2006 at 09:42
Redfield used to and I think Burris still make a tension slip on mount that will adapt normal Redfield type post and dovetail-how ever they are not the rings the Leo and conetrol. Warne also makes for Sako and are my choice.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2006 at 10:25

Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

Warne also makes for Sako and are my choice.

Forgot about Warne. Good suggestion, Dale.

fourinone View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourinone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2006 at 17:10

Hi; I've got some Optilock Rings & Bases for Sako 75. The rings are for a 30mm scope tube and they are Blued and considered Low. The part#S1300929 rings & S1700956 for the bases. It notes that they fit a Sako Short. I only mounted them to see how they would look on the rifle and decided to buy a 10min base from Near Mfg. and some Badger Rings. If the money is no object then this is the way to go...a little over $300.00

But now I have the Optilock set-up just setting around and would sell rings & bases for $50.00 plus shipping. If your interested you can let me know and I can E-Mail my phone number to you or we can just E-Mail.

Can you see me now...
samuel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2006 at 20:19

Thanks for the info fellas, I think I'm goin special  order some Warnes in the silver, permanent version. They look pretty solid. Anyone know what the Grey Wolf sells for in the gun shop? Looked at a few Sakos today but my dealer didnt have the 2006 catalog yet and it is Sunday so he couldnt call anyone about a price. The Sakos they had in stock sure felt nice against the shoulder. Looked like a well put together rifle.   Thanks again, Sam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2006 at 03:54

Saw this on http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=42786616

Looks like the "buy now price" is $1299.

No likey the S/S versions of the M75??  

Edited by cheaptrick
JohnRov View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnRov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2007 at 14:42
Originally posted by samuel samuel wrote:

Thanks for the info fellas, I think I'm goin special  order some Warnes in the silver, permanent version. They look pretty solid. Anyone know what the Grey Wolf sells for in the gun shop? Looked at a few Sakos today but my dealer didnt have the 2006 catalog yet and it is Sunday so he couldnt call anyone about a price. The Sakos they had in stock sure felt nice against the shoulder. Looked like a well put together rifle.   Thanks again, Sam

Search GunBroker, I got my Grey Wolf for $895, they're still there at that price.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2007 at 18:49
wow, did I just get lost in a time warp?
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2007 at 18:52

Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

wow, did I just get lost in a time warp?

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2007 at 18:59

samuel,

By this time, you've probably already bought some rings for your Sako, but if you haven't and if you're using a 30mm scope, I have some Leupold stainless finish QD type rings and bases that have never been removed from the package that I'd be willing to sell for 1/2 price.  PM me if you're interested.  Of course, this applies to anyone else for that matter...

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
SAKO75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2007 at 20:19
Originally posted by JohnRov JohnRov wrote:

Originally posted by samuel samuel wrote:

Search GunBroker, I got my Grey Wolf for $895, they're still there at that price.

JOHNROV
 I got mine off gunbroker for the same price...did you get yours from scotts outdoors? what caliber
JohnRov View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnRov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2007 at 14:07
Originally posted by SAKO75 SAKO75 wrote:

JOHNROV
 I got mine off gunbroker for the same price...did you get yours from scotts outdoors? what caliber

Yes I did.  I had a very good experience buying from them.  I got it in .308.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2007 at 20:07
You will find that the 300WSM has a vicious muzzle blast and not a lot of reloading data out there for anything but a 180 grain. I think the 30-06 or the 300 win mag are both still better choices and easier to find ammo for. The 30-06 can still be fed on a blue collar budget.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic