OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Newbie Hunting Question Follow-Up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byu_Au_Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie Hunting Question Follow-Up
    Posted: August/09/2011 at 12:50
So I just went and took a second look at the 243 of my wifes and realized it's a Universal 4x32 instead of a Tasco.  The Tasco is on a different rifle...  Not sure where my head was that.  How, if at all does that change everyone's opinion? 

One of the posters who replied to my question mentioned utilizing a TSA type base that would be compatible with various rings should I upgrade to a better scope in the future.  That seems appealing but does that slotted weaver style really stay in place on a high powered rifle? 

Since getting into the hobby I've been impressed and confused with the insane number of different styles of rings/bases.  Some seem less sturdy then others.  The idea of a quick release ring is appealing unless I'm significantly sacrificing stability and sturdiness. 

Is there any general consensus on the best STYLE of rings when it comes to hunting rifles?  Maybe it depends on whether it's high or low powered rifle? 
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2011 at 13:13

I've found over the yrs that as long as you stay with top name brand stuff and it's installed correctly your fine.  BUT like anything man-made.....................     
  I'm using a set-up of old Weavers on my 9.3 Mauser and have no doubt they'll work for a long time.  I also used the dreaded Leupold windage adjustable set-up on my lt wt .300 for 20+yrs and although I switched them out awhile back they'd still work.  That being said I am a believer in keeping stuff simple so I've switched to 1pc. Talley's for hunting rifles.  
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2011 at 13:50
BYU, do you think you can swing any fund right now for mount/scope?  I mean for about $200 you could get Talley mounts and a vortex viper 2-7 and you'd have an awesome set up on a 243 for your wife
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2011 at 14:16
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

BYU, do you think you can swing any fund right now for mount/scope?  I mean for about $200 you could get Talley mounts and a vortex viper 2-7 and you'd have an awesome set up on a 243 for your wife

Bingo, we have a winner. That's good advice.

If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2011 at 14:28
You know if I was you I would just stick with a good weaver syle base either 1 pc or 2 pc and a set of standard weavers or Burris zee rings. I have used the weaver style 2 pc bases and zee rings for years and never had a problem, likewise the original weaver and newer quadlock rings though they aren't nearly as pretty. This will be especially true with a 243. You haven't mentioned what kind of rifle you wife has but it would be my guess if you need bases & rings sombody will have a set in their parts bin that they might set you up with for a really good price. As to the scope well if it's held up this long it will probably hold up a bit longer unless as some have pointed out you can scrape up $100 or so for a replacement. The good news is it's a fixed power scope so that should reduce potential problems right there.
Byu_Au_Hunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byu_Au_Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2011 at 15:17
I own a pair of Vortex binoculars and love them.  I've heard great things about the scopes as well. 

How could I swing a Viper scope with Tully rings for $200?  According to their website the Viper runs about $359.  Maybe you were meaning a different model?

Also, I just looked and was disappointed to see they had discontinued the Viper 2x7.  I too think that sounds like a great setup for the 243.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2011 at 15:44

Edited by SVT_Tactical - August/09/2011 at 15:46
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2011 at 15:45
Talley Lightweight Aluminum 1 Scopemounts

What gun is it going on?
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2011 at 15:59

B_A_H,
  I just talked to Josh at SWFA and he says the have plenty of the 2-7x32 Vipers but only w/the C3 reticle(I got one-GREAT reticle!).  He says if your interested call and ask for him. 972-726-7348
      Vortex 2-7x32 Viper Rifle Scope
Versa-Plex C3 Vortex 2-7x32 Viper Rifle Scope
Stock # - VPRM02G4
  • Matte
  • Versa-Plex C3
  • 1"
  • Discontinued closeout price
  • 40% OFF
$149.95

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2011 at 16:03
SWFA
Dyelynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2011 at 16:59
i'll also chime in on the viper 2-7x32 with talley LW, i even have one with the C3 reticle and love it.... mine's on a 7mm rem mag, and have no issues with recoil at all.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2011 at 17:36

Excellent!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byu_Au_Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2011 at 18:37
300S&W: Wow, that is a great price.  Thanks for the input.  I assumed they were no longer available. 
I do wonder though, how does the fact they are discontinued affect the warranty?  I also noticed they've discontinued the Fury 10x42 Binos I have.  I know their customer service is supposed to be rock solid but if it breaks down the road they can't fix what they don't have parts for...

SVT_Tactical:  It's going on a 243.  My wife got lucky and drew a fantastic mule deer tag here in Idaho.  She has yet to get her first deer (we've only been hunting 2 seasons and I have one).  We're heading into so life changing events so to say we are more budget conscious than usual is an understatement!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2011 at 19:31

Of course I can't speak for Vortex but I've heard of some manufacturers keeping back some discontinued products"just in case" or upgrading you to another product.  Vortex has been in the business a long time and their CS has an outstanding reputation.  Myself,IF something would happen to my Viper then I'll cross the warranty bridge when I come to it.  So far I've not heard of anyone having an issue with that scope. 
   SVT and us are interested in what brand and model rifle your dealing with. 
   As far as budget conciousness goes we ALWAYS take that into consideration whether it's mentioned or not.  We ALWAYS try to get the customer the best product for their hard earned money.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2011 at 09:23
Basically if you look at them most bases are a take off of the 1) weaver slotted type connection. and in this catagory I include the QDR rings , pitcanny et al. or 2) the twist in post rings with an adjustable rear windage type ring al ah redfield and leupold. Both have been in production for decades and both come in 1 pc and 2 pc bases. Both also are strong enough that if you manage to knock your scope off the rifle or into mis-allignment via a fall or drop you will probably be out of business no matter what since it is likely the scope will be toast anyway so don't over think this. As I said the weaver 2 pc bases are under $10 for about any rifle and there are a multitude of good strong rings avaliabe for under $20. As to a scope you are getting good advice about the vortex as at $150 it is a great value right now. However if you don't have the $150 a couple of other options might be to review the sample list here at SWFA. There is a sightron 3-9 SI for $99 which is considered a pretty decent scope for the $ and has a lifetime warranty and for a real $ pinch there is a swift 3-9 for $59 that would be imho a step up from your universal or the bubble pack tascos. I would consider it a contemporary of the bushnell trophy line which is not bad for the $60 and I believe they have a 5 yr warranty. So there you have three choices from $60 to $150. I will also make you an offer since we need more ladies getting interested in hunting , I have a set of weaver rings that I will send to you and if you get a chance you can post pictures of your hunt hopefully with your wife posing with a muy grande buck.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2011 at 09:34

+1 on the S1.  I've got one and it's a very nice scope in ALL respects except for one.  The eye relief,at least on mine,was a good bit less than the specs show.  BUT I bought it for a .300.  It would be ABSOLUTELY no problem on a .243.

NICE of you to offer those rings,pb.  I've been waiting to find out what rifle he's dealing with as I may have some bases I can pitch in.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byu_Au_Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2011 at 11:57
SVT & 300:  Sorry for the late reply.  The 243 is a Remington Model 788.  It and the 1965 Win Model 70 300 WM were passed to me when my grandfather passed.  He grew up in WI and spent his adult life in MT and OR and was a HUGE hunter.  I hear he never missed a deer or elk season till he had his stroke when I was about 6.  Then it was spotty and all road hunting. 

My father was his only son was all about fishing, no hunting.  I always wanted to get into it but since my father wasn't a hunter and my grandfather's health wasn't great we just had stories and pictures by the time I hit my teenage years. 

They are older rifles and I'm sure I could do better from an accuracy/weight perspective by buying something new and keeping these in the safe.  That said the 300 WM worked great for my first deer in 2009.  Lots of folks told me to get a newer rifle but the 300 WM was my grandfathers primary hunting rifle for about 30 years and I decided I at least wanted my first big game to be with his.  Snapped some great pictures trying to duplicate some of the photos I'd seen of him with deer/elk he had got over the years. 

Anyway, probably not the best setup as far as modern technology goes but I think it meets my needs so I'm content!

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2011 at 13:56
   NO problem. We're on no time line here.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with either firearm or chambering although IMHO the .300 chambering will add another 15% to the 80% of the situations that the .243 can already handle for hunting. I wouldn't worry at all about upgrading your rifles to ones "more modern".  Maybe do as I did and change some things your not satisfied with.  That's what I did with the only centerfire rifle I had and used for almost 25yrs. Besides that my suggestion would be to definitely upgrade the quality of your scopes at some time.  And you don't have to spend alot of money to do it.

I don't have bases that would fit the 788 but a set of Weavers aren't expensive at all.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2011 at 19:44
Well you may be in luck. I have owned several 788's in my dark past and I have a 1 pc weaver style base that I am about 90% sure is from a 788 as that is the only rifle I can remember having a 1 pc on. Maybe you can measure from the front screw hole to the rear and we can be sure but if you can just pm me an address it 's yours to try. I also have a set of low weaver rings that will fit it too so since you will have to rezero your dad's scope if you switch rifles there is no reason not to switch rings too if you are uncomfortable with his. And my wife said I should get rid of a bunch of my junk. Ha!!

Edited by powderburn - August/10/2011 at 19:46
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2011 at 20:25

If for some reason the lows won't work I've got some Weaver/Weaver style rings I can send out.

Powderburn,your not the only one who needs to down size.  Bucky
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic