OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need help installing New scope. Please!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apopkared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help installing New scope. Please!!!
    Posted: August/09/2011 at 12:43
I finally got my savage accu trigger 10fpc 26 bull barrel. The issue I'm having is installing the scope. I installed the talley all in one rings/mount. When trying to laser bore sight the gun I max out on my elevation. I have the bushnell 3200 5-15x40. It almost seems like the ring in the back needs to be a little taller. I've even added a small piece of foam in the back ring but when I tighten the rings goes back to the original problem. Should I get a different mount/rings. If any think thats the issue,then anyone with that type of rifle make a recommendation of base and rings.
Thanks for any help. I'm loosing my mind.
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2011 at 12:56
make sure u have the right mounts & rings for a savage rifle b4 u do anythiny else
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2011 at 13:46
Did you shoot it is just rely on a laser
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2011 at 00:24
You can buy an inexpensive metal shim spacer kit to put under your scope base to correct this problem.  Are you sure that you have the correct scope mounts for your rifle action?
CDR3
oldguy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2011 at 22:22
I can only tell you of my experience with my Savage Model 12 223, mounting a Nikon Monarch,
same problem as you, I tried different scope, mounts and finally purchased Burris signature zee rings with inserts that provided adjustment(shimming) I was finally able to get on paper but the scope was visibly out of align with barrel and i just could not live with that.

I begin to believe the mount holes were incorrect and I heard rumors that some Savages were coming out of factory with warped receivers. I returned the rifle to Savage they replaced barrel with little explanation of problem returned to me within 6 weeks. I mounted scope with same weaver mounts, was sighted in with 3 rounds and after 1000 plus rounds still shooting .500 @100 yards if I do my part.

If you have a quality scope and mounts then look to problems with gun, I'm not a fan of shimming
it will work but it should not be necessary in a proper setup/.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2011 at 09:50
A couple of comments:

1) I would not suggest putting foam or anything like that inside the rings.

2) If you decide to shim the rear mount/ring, make sure you lap the whole thing because otherwise it will put pressure onto the scope tube.

3) are you sure the laser is properly aligned?  Did you try shooting it?

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic