OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Steiner hunting 8X30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catt_tracker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steiner hunting 8X30
    Posted: January/20/2006 at 17:05
My uncle is wanting to sell me a pair of Steiner hunting series 8X30 binoculars.  He won them and they are new, but 6 or 7 years old.  I haven't ever been around Steiners or anyonr with them.  Would these be good for hunting binos?  Does anyone have an idea of what they would be worth?  Any info you have would be great.
SteveSF View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2006 at 15:21

I had a pair of Steiner Hunting 8x30's.  When they were marketed, Steiner's lineup was predominantly porro prism models.  Later, they put out more models in roof prism configuration.  The Hunting series, then, was Steiner's top-of-line series.  The other series they marketed were the military/marine series (the 8x30 version of which is still sold at around $199 now), the Safari II series, and another series whose name I can't remember (but it has ruby red coatings).  The Hunting series featured the CAT lens coatings (CAT  =  color adjusted transmission).  Because of this, the Hunting series I take to be their best performers.  As the name implies, they should be good for hunting.  I presume that you know that these are individual-focusing models?  The cost of a new Hunting model 8x30 was $385 - $400, if I recall correctly.  I personally found them to be very, very good binoculars.  What they are worth now, I guess is up to the buyer.  There are many choices in hunting binoculars these days. 

SteveSF View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2006 at 15:27

I forgot:  If you haven't had a good look at the Hunting 8x30, it has some very good features that I think make it suitable for hunting:  waterproof and fog-proof (nitrogen-filled), eye relief of 20 mm (good for eyeglass wearers, flip the eyecups inside out), compact, lightweight (20 ounces, if I recall correctly), bright and sharp optics, wide field of view (around 390 feet at 1,000 yards, I think), and attached covers for the oculars and objective lenses. 

The individual-focusing eyepieces:  focus for a distant object, and the depth of field is good from about 20 yards to infinity.  This should save you from having to focus a lot. 

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2006 at 15:37

Hey Steve SF, does the name Firebird sound familiar to ya? I think that was the name of the Ruby Red collored Steiner bino's.

catt_tracker- I have the same pair of Steiner's, along with 4 others, and I agree with Steve SF. They are really nice. Compact and lightweight. As far as price, anything like $250 or less would be a great deal. They are listed here on the samlpelist used or approx. $280. Go for it.

catt_tracker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catt_tracker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2006 at 15:46
Thank you I appreciate your help.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2006 at 09:16
catt_tracker, did you strike a deal on those 8x30 Hunting bino's? I really think you will like them. The set them and forget them feature really comes in very handy during low light hunting. Did you ever try to focus a bino in low light without this feature. It's very difficult, which gives the Steiner's with ther sports focus system a huge advantage. Once they are focus, you never have to mess with them again. Good luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic