OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Colt Trooper III

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdrill777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Colt Trooper III
    Posted: August/07/2011 at 23:33
Does any one know of a good gunsmith for colt revolvers? I have a Trooper 3 that has some excessive play in the cylinder to barrle alignement area. This is causing bystanders to be in danger of lead splatter from the excessive play. I was told that it need a new  rod for the cylinder and this was a common occurance for this revolver. HELP on this would be welcome.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2011 at 07:27
Send it to Colt.  Most of the Colt double action gunsmiths have died off.  They are a lot more complicated than S&W.  The factory is your best bet on both smiths and parts.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2011 at 15:41
Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

Send it to Colt.  Most of the Colt double action gunsmiths have died off.  They are a lot more complicated than S&W.  The factory is your best bet on both smiths and parts.

+1 , they'll make it right. I have a pair of Trooper III's. Excellent revolvers, well worth holding on to.

Edited by HuntMaster - August/08/2011 at 15:43
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2011 at 16:25
Right -- Send it to Colt take it to an FFL dealer ask them to ship it to Colt for you.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2011 at 16:49
I agree... get with Colt.

I used to have a Trooper III In stainless.  I also had a 45 Long Colt with 10in barrel nickel, a 7.5 inch,  and a stainless 6 inch Python.  I wish I had them all back...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2011 at 18:54
It was my understanding that Colt was not providing any service (warranty or repairs) to the Double Action revolvers after 1985. There is one place still doing repairs on the Colts that I know of. I have a friend that sent one in and was happy with the work. I kept the name because I have several troopers.
 Heffron Firearm Classics
phone: (641) 330-9560 or email: heffronfirearmclassics@live.com

Edited by 3_tens - August/08/2011 at 19:07
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
bigdrill777 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdrill777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2011 at 00:49
Thanks,
I have heard others say good things about Heffron also. I will contact them.
bigdrill777 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdrill777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2011 at 01:21
Thanks for the info,
skeeeter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skeeeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2011 at 22:32
Colt is doing revolver work at $55 per hour when I sent my Python back to them last year. They will charge $30 for return shipping and it can be sent to your home address, signature required, unless you live in some anti-gun state.
I would only trust Colt for the Python and they would be my first choice for the Trooker MK III. The Trooper MK III is a very strong revolver, more so than the Python. I estimate that I put over 5000 handload through my MKIII and it is still tight and timed.
I think I would use the USPS through a FFL than use Fed EX directly who charged me $79 to send it to Colt.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2011 at 21:45
Good to know that they have decided to continue doing repairs.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic