OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold Sequoia 20-60 x80mm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenGene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold Sequoia 20-60 x80mm
    Posted: January/20/2006 at 16:12

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/LEU61155/new_leupold_20- 60x80_wind_river_sequoia_spotting_scope.htm

I bought my first pair of decent binoculars about a year ago... and I'm VERY happy with them (Leupold Wind River

Olympic 10x50's).  I would really like a decent scope now and recently noticed the new Sequoia by Leupold.  I guess

I'm hoping that I would be as happy with the scope as I have been with their binos.  I've been looking for any online

reviews of the Sequoia 80mm scope, but w/out success (I guess because they are pretty new?).  Does anyone here

have an opinion or experience with this scope? 

Usage would be for wildlife viewing, spotting and watching mega-fauna out in Yellowstone, etc. 

Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2006 at 07:28

I don't have any experience with the 20-60x Sequoia scope, but I did own (for a very short time) a 15-45x 60mm Sequoia spotting scope.

I owned a set of Leupold Wind River Pinnacles and was very pleased with their performance. That lead me to purchase the Wind River Sequoia spotting scope. Big mistake!

When using this scope from about 20x-45x the images became very fuzzy. At lower power settings the scope was fine. I wouldn't recommend this spotting scope to anyone. I think your money would be better spent on another brand in this price range.

Try checking out the Browning spotting scopes, I've read very good things about them, maybe another member of the forum could make a recommendation here. I have very limited experience with spotting scopes.

Best of luck.

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2006 at 16:16

If you can afford it, buy a Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski, or Leupold Gold Ring.

If your budget is more conservative than that, you would do well to look at the 15-45X60 Bushnell Elite, 16-48x60 Nikon Spotter XL, or the 15-30x50 Leupold Gold Ring Compact.

Any of these would be superior to the WindRiver spotting scopes.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2006 at 11:15
I have a 15-45x60 Sequoia, and i have looked at the 80 mm. At lowest power they are useable, but as soon as you crank up the zoom they are useless. The rubber on the 60mm smells so bad that i don't want to touch the thing anymore. I don't know what to reccommend in that price range, maybe the 60mm scopes from Kowa, and you are always better served by a fixed power than by a zoom in that price range. 

Edited by anweis
arkhillbilly View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2006 at 16:22
The Burris Landmark 20-60x80 is much better than the Sequoia and much cheaper if you're going to go the cheap route on a spotting scope.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic