OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SWFA SS 1-4 Problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2011 at 16:46

Caliche,

Have you contacted us yet?  I'd like to take a look at your scope and possibly send it to the facotry for an evaluation.

1-4x FFP scopes do have a touchy eye box, especially on 4x.  It shows much more when you are just holding it and looking through it.  Once mounted properly you don't see it as much.
Caliche Drifter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caliche Drifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2011 at 19:06
Hello everyone...i just wanted to post a quick update on the situation...i contacted Christopher Farris by email...he explained to me that the focus can be a bit picky on a true 1x FFP scope and that some peoples eyes just dont get along well with them....unfortunately we decided that i was probably one such person...so we arranged to send the scope back for inspection...after they received the scope and concluded that it was functioning properly they asked what i wanted to do...so i opted to exchange the scope for another model....which they gladly did...i just want to note here that they have excellent customer service and they treated me very well.... and Christopher Farris is a super nice guy in my book....Big Smile

so in the end there was a part of me that hated to let the SS go because its a really really nice piece of kit...and the glass was freaking awesome... and there are so many things that i love about it...but the focus just didn't agree with my eyes... and that's just how things go sometimes

so at the end of the day i ended up happy as a fat tick Smile and i will continue to look to these fine gents for all my optics needs in the future...

so again thank you SWFA for making me happy

Caliche out
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2011 at 19:16
Don't get happy and run away. Hang around here for a while we can use the company. Glad you got things worked out. Welcome to the OT. Excellent
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Caliche Drifter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caliche Drifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2011 at 21:09
oh for sure man...ill hang around
buckjay View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckjay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2011 at 22:06
I'm having a similar (same?) issue I'd love to get some light shed on.

I just received the SS 1-4x donut today and I'm having a lot of trouble focusing it at 4x.

I can get it in focus after a lot of playing around with it (and I'm confirming this by having it mounted on my rifle on a sandbag, firm cheekweld, and merely closing and opening my eyes). However once I move my head a couple millimeters left, right, up, or down the reticle starts to streak/wash out/lose focus. This is noticeable without illumination however even more apparent with illumination as it really streaks the second you move your head a TINY bit.

This is my first scope, however I also received a MTAC 1-4x today and the reticle is crystal clear at 4x. I can move my head inches and while I will eventually get the black spots from the edges of eye relief the reticle maintains perfect crisp focus throughout all my movements.

Would you be able to chime in on this Chris? Am I in the same boat as Caliche?

I appreciate any feedback!

Dave
buckjay View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckjay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2011 at 22:24
Couldn't see how to edit my message so I'd like to add.

My reticle is definitely NOT distorting. But its more of a blur (streak with illumination).
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2011 at 05:56
Welcome to the OT buckjay!

First off, you will need 50 post in order to edit,them's the rules!Second ,as you have read above SWFA will bend over backwards to satisfy a customer(they are the best in the business about that) & I do have a little experience with this,just ask Dave in exchanges.Give them a call,they will help you till you are satisfied.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
buckjay View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckjay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2011 at 20:52
I tried taking a picture of the issue I'm experiencing.. it was a lot harder then I'd imagined.

This doesn't quite illustrate the full issue I'm experiencing however it gives a good idea. 

As you can see, when head movement is made the corresponding opposite side of the donut begins to wash out/blur.

Rancid, can you confirm that this does not happen to you? I'm hoping its an isolated case and I can simply get a new 1-4 as if it were not for this issue I'm experiencing I'd be over the moon with this scope.
JonnieTyler View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonnieTyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2011 at 15:06
I am also having a similar problem with focusing the reticle at 4X.

I turned the diopter counter-clockwise, all the way out, then aimed the rifle/scope into a clear blue sky and turned the diopter clockwise until the reticle is in focus. 

Now with the diopter set, I'll aim at a target and if I move my head slightly, the reticle gets blurry, but the TARGET is still in focus.  My theory is that my aging eyes (46 yrs old with progressive bifocals) has a problem with the fine mil-hashmarks.  If I try the same experiment with a cheap Barska 4X with mil-dots, I don't get the blurring problem.

I thought about calling CS to see if I could trade-in my SWFA HD 1-4X for something else, but the only other scopes I'm interested in are the Swaro 1-6x and the future S&B 1-8x.  Unfortunately, those other scopes are out of my price range.

So I'll stick with the SWFA and consider the reticle blurring a warning sign that I need to center my eyeball so that I don't get any parallax error.

Ben Diss View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben Diss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2011 at 08:45
I'm having the same problem.  I was going to just live with it, but now my illumination has failed.  I'll call it in.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic