OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Looking for a new pair of binos

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northernwhitetail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for a new pair of binos
    Posted: August/04/2011 at 03:10
I am looking for a new pair of binos. I hunt in the northeast. I am looking for a pair that is fairly small, and works well in low light. my price range is around 500$
tpcollins View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2011 at 07:49
"Fairly small and works well in low light" don't quite go together - since works well in low light is a requirement, I would suggest 8x42 which aren't going to be fairly small. With a $500 limit, I would look at getting the best "used" binoc for your money versus brand new with lesser optics - but that's just me . . .  

I'd take a look here in the SWFA sample list to see what used bargains are available  - or that "other place".

Edited by tpcollins - August/04/2011 at 07:52
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2011 at 08:00
SampleList.com
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2011 at 14:01
Originally posted by northernwhitetail northernwhitetail wrote:

I am looking for a new pair of binos. I hunt in the northeast. I am looking for a pair that is fairly small, and works well in low light. my price range is around 500$
With your criteria, I'd recommend the Kruger Caldera 8x42.  This is a quite compact glass for the 42mm size.  It has a HUGE 438' fov which is the most of any 8x42 class roof at any price that I know about.  Flourite objectives, dielectric prism mirror, hard, scratch resistant, water repellent lens coatings.  I am getting pretty attacched to the pair I have.  I posted a review here too.  They are about $380 from SWFA.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2011 at 21:01
I would ditto Klamath's suggestion. I have another company's version of the Caldera and they are also one of my favorite bins. They are very compact for a full-size bino with very good ergonomics. The optics are also only "bettered" by the big four and then only in certain areas...not universally across all optical characteristics.
Frank
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2011 at 09:03
Another suggestion, this is a comprimise between compacts and full size.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
m_freeman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m_freeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2011 at 20:36

miffed comment removed yes and those 7x ZR are interesting

Edited by m_freeman - August/10/2011 at 22:58
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2011 at 21:36
Service life?

I have owned several of the Zen Ray models for 3 years now and have not had a single problem with any of them. If you are referring to customer service I would kindly suggest sending an email to Zen Ray and see how long it takes you to get a response. Hours would be my guess.

Edited by FrankD - August/10/2011 at 22:00
Frank
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2011 at 22:10
This thread as well, m_freeman?  I guess I just sound like a Zen Ray defender, but they have treated me more than fairly.
-Matt
m_freeman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m_freeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2011 at 22:57
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

This thread as well, m_freeman?  I guess I just sound like a Zen Ray defender, but they have treated me more than fairly.
wow ZR just got back to me at 8pm.
Just a little miffed I really liked those ZR and to have them break is upsetting. Anyway at  least I have made contact, sure it will work out. ZR darn fine glass for the money.
sammie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sammie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2011 at 20:11
I am pretty sure I'm getting the Steiner 10x42 Predator Xtreme.  They are $499 with a rebate being offered.   I got the chance to use them on a hog hunt and they were great.   Where they surprised me most were in the lowlight, they were superb.   Though they are not that small, I'd say average.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic