OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris ED, Browning BAR, Talley..Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burris ED, Browning BAR, Talley..Help
    Posted: August/02/2011 at 23:41
The Burris ED 1.5-6x40 has been sitting in the closet for months just waiting to be mounted. I just got it a home and orderd up a Browning BAR LW Stalker in 308. I guess Browning is a couple months behind on these so I wont have it until the end of September. I know I'm going with Talley lightweight rings but I'm wondering if I should go low or medium. The problem is that the gun shop I bought the gun from doesn't carry Talley so I'll have to purchase elsewhere and bring them in along with the scope to be mounted.

Any advice would be great.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2011 at 09:47
I'm thinking lows. Buy them here (SWFA) and mount yourself. That's the only way to get it right for you. Here Ye Here Ye
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2011 at 10:24
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2011 at 10:32
YOu may have an issue with the rear sight being in the way.  I had to take the sight off mine to use low rings with a 40mm scope.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
BigGameBalls View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2011 at 11:10
I'm having both the front and rear sights removed anyways.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2011 at 12:26
I am betting you can use lows then.  Your scope has a 30mm tube, so that will raise it up some.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2011 at 12:33
Lows it is then! I think I have just built the ultimate northern MN deer slaying machine. 1.5 - 6 x40 for massive field of views on critters moving through the timber sitting on top of a 308 semi with nice short 20" barrel for quick handling, low recoil, and fast follow up shots.

PUMPED UP!
grimreaper21 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2011 at 12:37
why not do the math instead of making a guess, wouldn't hurt ;) http://opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5946&title=how-to-determine-proper-ring-height
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2011 at 13:32
Originally posted by BigGameBalls BigGameBalls wrote:

Lows it is then! I think I have just built the ultimate northern MN deer slaying machine. 1.5 - 6 x40 for massive field of views on critters moving through the timber sitting on top of a 308 semi with nice short 20" barrel for quick handling, low recoil, and fast follow up shots.

PUMPED UP!

Excellent  LUV those carbines!!
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2011 at 13:45
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

PUMPED UP!

Appearantly we aren't the only ones who love them becasue they're next 2 lots of production are already spoken for. I'll be waiting until September/October for this thing! It's going to drive me crazy! I just hope I get a shooter.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2011 at 14:00

CLOSE to season.  BUT all good things are worth waiting for.  Bucky

dboneusc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dboneusc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2011 at 14:11

PUMPED UP!

Appearantly we aren't the only ones who love them becasue they're next 2 lots of production are already spoken for. I'll be waiting until September/October for this thing! It's going to drive me crazy! I just hope I get a shooter.

I just started calling around for a LW Stalker in .270 Win. and nobody has any of those in stock either.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2011 at 14:23

Try PMing pyro6999.  He's got a friend with a shop in MN who seems to be able come thru with hard to find firearms.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2011 at 14:55
I think the LW Stalker is hard to find becasue from what I've heard from the gun shop I just ordered from is they are slowing production and phazing them out. Soon everything will be the short/long trac. I think the new short/long trac looks and feels like cheap junk compared to the MK II BAR. No offense to anyone who owns the new style.

One question I do have about the Talley LW for BAR is it looks like that base/ring fits several differnt semi auto brands. Do all the manufactures have the exact same contour on their recievers or is this thing not going to fit like a glove on the receiver?
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2011 at 20:24

I don't know where Benelli fits in to this but Browning and Winchester are owned by the same company so I can see where their receivers would be of similar contour.  Maybe contact Talley and ask.  I do know they sell TOP QUALITY products so I would imagine they "fit like a glove".

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2011 at 17:18

I don't know where Benelli fits in to this but Browning and Winchester are owned by the same company so I can see where their receivers would be of similar contour.  Maybe contact Talley and ask.  I do know they sell TOP QUALITY products so I would imagine they "fit like a glove".

Thanks for the link. I emailed them. We'll see what they say.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2011 at 08:33

Thunbs Up !!
tkanders View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2011 at 17:26
Searching this forum and came across this discussion, Im looking for suggestions on a decent scope to match my new bar longtrac 3006 I just purchased.  Im new to optics, I am looking for something decent that will get the job done and be able to be sighted in and hunted with reliably (deer).  The Eurodiamond seems to have gotten good reviews from a certain firearms review/webpage.  Im also looking at nikon monarch 2-8x32, burris ffII, etc, I've also been looking through a Nikon prostaff 2-7/32 that seems like it will work fine, but not sure how it will work in the field, and if an extra 100-200$ is worth added security in the field.  Basically looking to buy a decent (not top notch) optic without paying too much just for the name.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2011 at 17:55
tkanders, I would take a good look at this one.  You can't buy a better scope for the money

http://swfa.com/Vortex-2-7x32-Viper-Rifle-Scope-P11227.aspx

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2011 at 22:10
Okay guys I got the call today that my gun came in earlier than expected. The shop I bought the gun from is going to mount the rings and scope on the gun and  bore sight it. I asked them if they lapp the rings and they said there is no need to do it because rings are made to such high persicion now days. Do you agree thas lapping is not needed or should I mount this thing myself and buy a lapping tool?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic