OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leup.3.5-10X50 VS Zeiss Con.3X9X40 brightness?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leup.3.5-10X50 VS Zeiss Con.3X9X40 brightness?
    Posted: August/02/2011 at 23:26
I bought a Leupold VX III 3.5-10X50 from the sample list but am getting terribly frustrated trying to mount it on My Sako 75. My Optilocks are too low for the 50mm on this scope even though several 50mm scopes I was able to try locally fit with good clearence. I was sort of talked into the 50mm by a friend for light gathering ability. My first choice was the Zeiss conquest 3X9X40mm.I would have gone with the 50mm Zeiss but I needed the extra eye relief.I'm also a little dissapointed with the clarity of the VX III. I have two VX II's that seem to have better definition.

Anyway,I'm thinking of sending the Leupold back and getting the Zeiss 3X9X40 Conquest.How would the light gathering-brightness at near dark compare between the two scopes? I don't know if I'm just second guessing because of the mounting issues but which scope would you guys rather have?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2011 at 13:48
All else being equal the 50mm will give you more brightness at higher magnifications.  Optimally in low light you want the exit pupil to be over 6mm.  So on the Conquest your max mag will be 6 to 6.5 to give you that 6mm+ of exit pupil.  On the Leo, you will will be able to use it on 8x and till have that 6mm of exit pupil.

The Conquest and VX3 will have similar glass quality.  Most who have compared the two will say the Conquest may be slightly better in the glass department.  But they are pretty close.

For typical daytime hunting use, I am sure either one of them will be bright enough for you.  The biggest advantage for the Conquest IMO would be the 40mm objective.  It equals less weight, lower mounting, and a more trim package.  But if you feel that slightly higher mags in low light is important then the 50mm may offer you some benefit.

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
R H Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2011 at 14:45
Thanks for the reply But this is the VXIII not the newer VX3. I've heard the glass isn't quite as good.I've enjoyed my older VXII's so I thought it would be a good scope,which I'm sure it is but the mounting problems are really starting to make me wonder if the Conquest would be just as bright. and a lot easier to mount.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2011 at 15:52
Ahh, then yes the Conquest will have noticeably better glass.  Maybe enough to even out bright the VXIII.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2011 at 16:51
Dump the Opti Locs. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
WYcoyote View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WYcoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2011 at 17:27
I vote for the Conquest.  PM sent.
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2011 at 22:50
I did a half hour after sunset test of my VXII (3-9x40), VXIII (4.5-14x40AO) and my Conquest (2.5-8x32).  I tested all of the scopes set at 4x (or 4.5x), using the ISO 12233 Optics Test Board at 25 yards which is minimum focal distance for most of my scopes.  This was not done under lab conditions and was conducted in dark shade for the sole purpose of discerning lines/per millimeter (resolution) only.  I was counting the number (width)/mm of white lines only, not black.

The test results were different than I had anticipated.  The VXII and VXIII scopes were essentially equal resolution of about 4 lines/mm.  The Conquest scope did not do as well and was only able to read the 2 lines/mm scale, not 4 lines/mm.  The results were surprising because all exit pupils were 8mm or larger.

This test of course, was not done in a lab and the results showed that all three scopes were about equal with the Conquest slightly worse resolution than the other scopes.  I would like to repeat this test at longer range, maybe 50 yards at 8X, just in case the results were skewed by the focal distance not being adequate.  Anecdotally, I would have picked the Conquest as a better scope because it has higher contrast and is much newer with supposedly better coatings.  Maybe the twilight index was enough different to cause the smaller objective diameter (32mm) of the Conquest to make this much difference in resolution despite exit pupil size?

Edited by Oldtrader3 - August/03/2011 at 22:59
CDR3
R H Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2011 at 23:21
Originally posted by WYcoyote WYcoyote wrote:

I vote for the Conquest.  PM sent.
Tried to PM back but access denied.I'll work it out. Thanks but it might be a while before I get another scope.I want to check all the options and not jump into anything again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic