OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Optic Reviews and Tests > Member's Tests and Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Optisan 1-4x24 Mamba

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2011 at 10:15
Yes, the reticle bleed in low light when turned up is common however it is not inteded to do be used this way. We have had people say this of scopes costing much more money. One that comes to mind right away was one brought up on this forum and/or Snipers Hide. The Busnell 3-12 FFP Green Illuminated Mil-dot and it is a $900 scope. That optisan is a good scope for the money with the free mount. There is no doubt about that.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Grant View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2011 at 16:55
 I agree, spoke a bit hasty Wink

Had a chance to examine it better, the illumination showed up better at the lower settings than I had first expected.     My only experiance first-hand (not at gunshows) was with super-cheap optics that usually required max setting to see at all.

Well....guess I'll pop her on my FAL.  Planning on putting a differant scope on it eventually, but this will see how rugged it is Big Grin

hatton mann View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatton mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2011 at 17:30

' Well....guess I'll pop her on my FAL. Planning on putting a differant scope on it eventually, but this will see how rugged it is Big Grin''

That's my thinkin' exactlty,,,that and change out the 15lb. fire control...Whacko

Hopefully, the eye-relief and exit pupil will work for sitting and prone.

Thanks for the help........
topbrass View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topbrass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2011 at 17:47
Great for the price!  Now if it tracks and will hold up to a .223 and 5.45x39 it will be worth every cent.  Cant shoot mine for about a month because of work, but its too hot anyway. It is probably one of the best I have seen in that price range as far as glass is concerned.  Turret clicks are not as positive, but maybe after a few turns they will become less mushy.  Cant think of a reason to use any of the illumination settings over 3, unless you just like to see lots of color on your reticle in bright sun.   Thunbs Up
Grant View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2011 at 23:16
  Well I mounted it on my FAL, ended up using the SALT mount as the medium Zee-rings were jus' barely too short.   No pics, as stuff just ain't set up for that at the moment.

Eye relief a shade touchy, but not bad, similar to the Prostaff that was on it.     So far, fired (only) 40 rounds and it has held up to 7.62X51 recoil and a hard knock/drop against a four-wheeler's handlebars.      Elevation knob worked great, the windage knob had no sound or feel of clicks, so it took a couple of guestimations to get it on.

Overall, impressed, more so after mounting it.     Almost want to order a second.   Sole reason I'm not is because the scope is too big/long for my AK's, and for my other rifles,I simply don't use low-power variables (FAL=300-500yard DMR, AR15=varmint gun).   I WOULD order a second anyway just to have if I had the extra cash Big Grin
Hogwylde View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogwylde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2011 at 10:46
OK.  I finally had a chance to wring this scope out and use for it's intended purpose.....3 gun shooting.  My first stage was a 200 yard bang and clang 12 in plate.  I had zero'd this scope at 100 yds a few weeks ago using generic Wolf 55g ammo.  Bear in mind the rifle is a Bushmaster M4 carbine copy.  Bone stock with no nothing added except this scope.

I removed the cap over the BDC turret and dialed it to 200, zoom to 4X and began shooting.  1st shot miss, second shot "CLANG".  Move to next position....1st shot "CLANG".  Move (run) 25 yards forward to next position and engage again.  Bang, bang, ok.....slow down....breathe......"CLANG".  Now comes the hard part.....two 6 in plates as 20 second bonus targets.  Bang....just a little high....."CLANG".  WOW!  I got one.  Shift to the next......bang, bang, "CLANG"!  I can't believe I've hit 5 targets with 11 shots.  Only the guy with the M1A and his 4x14 scope has shot fewer rounds.  The SO is also the match director and complement me on an outstanding run.  My reply....."not bad for a $150 scope".  He says "its a keeper"

the next stage is rifle only also.  Zoom down to 1X and the BDC turret back to 100.  4 IPSC targets at 25 yards and 2 clay birds.  Shoot 1 target from 25 yds, then move laterally and shoot the next target from 25 yds.  Move fwd to 10 yards and repeat.  Clay birds can be taken from anywhere.  I take the clays from 25 yds and a clean run on the papers.

Final stage is rifle,shotgun and pistol.  The rifle targets are 6 inch tall 2" knock down steels.  CLANG, CLANG, CLANG, CLANG.  I'm the only one that has a clean rifle run.

So, for it's first outing.......I'm loving life.  I thought I'd be hitting low at the closer ranges with a zero at 100 yds, but if I was, it wasn't enough to make a difference.

So, am I happy with this scope?   You bet your life.  Will it perform at longer ranges?  I don't know that yet, but it sure as hell beats any type of non magnified red dot or holographic sight.  And, for only $150 for the scope and mount, you can bet I'll be talking up this thing to anyone that will listen.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2011 at 17:48
For those on the fence or for anyone who cannot afford the SWFA SS just yet this will see you through.

Or for those who are thinking a less expensive 1-4 this could be just fine...

I am not a 3 gunner.  Don't be mad I am not bashing you if you are...However it is not a game and never will be, I have heard how much it prepares you or teaches you, ( I'd love to show up on the range and just fire a few rounds back), maybe this is true but it all changes once your head starts throbbing and you start seeing brightly and impacts around you and then get to watch others get hit.

Lighter note.

Bought this just because I am in need on selling some more scopes and really didn't have a 1-4 usually used ACOG's not a big fan of Aimpoints while I still have a few.

Decided for the Money I could even dump this Optisan Black Mamba on some un-suspecting person just because.

I am pleasantly Surprised.

A lot different coming from a huge ACOG but we will see...

Took it to the backyard range.

Sure enough I can make hits...

Again I am used to fix power 3.5 or 4 and a huge sight picture, so this does take an extreme getting used to.

I do not know how this would fare compared to other 1-4's as I really have no experience with them but only know ACOG's, they were not as prevalent even 4 years ago as they are today...

I have no clue what the sight picture is in any higher end 1-4's but just assume that this is as clear as they can get.

The brightness leaves very little to be desired, to my eyes (the sun hasn't gone down) it seems as if it is as natural as my vision with no "color filtering" or yellowish or dimness.

I don't think they put a lot into the execution of the "tactical turrets" but hey once you set them up you are good to go.

It has a good BZ - PBR the reticle seems to give you some reference marks for your far out shots.

I really didn't even know it was for the .223 55 3100FPS when I purchased it I never really read up on it.  Also to see it is 1/2MOA is just fine by me at 4x I might want a little more but standing in the wind I am lucky to still pull off 1/2MOA strings.

All in all I thought decent setup.

Does it replace an ACOG, Hell NO, but will it replace my ACOG the answer is YES.

I was a glass snob I am learning to down-grade and I am finding that I am not giving up that much as I do down grade.

I do give up no Batteries and a Advanced Combat Optic Gunsight that is built like a TANK but hey I am not anticipating anything in my future.

That and I am keeping a few other Sights.

But would I take this into battle, I am not ready to say yes, it needs to be beat up and maybe after a few years I will respond to that.

I hate the people that say oh you only care about your life to $150(if that is how much you paid) to that crowd and I realize I may face scrutiny for this comment, It has nothing to do with $$$ it does have to do with rugged, durable, repeatable, and longevity to me at least I don't care if it cost $29 or $1,299.00 I have paid $1500 for unreliable crap and at one point was provided probably $4k optics that I could have rather used a 4x PEM scope and done just as well.

This is pretty heavy and bulky but again I really have nothing to put it up against, I did put it side by side a Nikon m223, a Leupold Ar, and a Leupold VX-3 It held in with all the fore mentioned just fine.  The Leupold AR is crap (sorry for you lovers) the VX-3 had horrible colors against the trees (CA) and the Nikon did pretty well all were significantly lighter and seemed like smaller less robust tubes and turrets.  (the other scopes above were on a few other "friends" tricked out 3gun/race guns.

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - October/07/2011 at 17:50
No one
topbrass View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topbrass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2011 at 23:49
Where did Optisan come up with that crazy BDC turret?  Those numbers dont come close to any .223 load.

Anyone know what their test load was to get those numbers?

Anyone have a load that even come close?

Thanks!
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2011 at 21:50
i wonder how this would fair against the viper pst 1-4? we all know the SS 1-4 is the cats ass, but not everybody can justify $800 or even $500.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2011 at 11:00

I can say this, I confirmed Zero this weekend with the Optisan on a 450 Bushmaster AR.  I have my clicks down pat from 50 - 200 yds, thats as far as I'd shoot that gun.  Its a clear scope and I like it for what it cost for sure.  Glass never lets me down!

Edited by SVT_Tactical - October/10/2011 at 11:01
rfb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2011 at 22:52
Long time lurker, first time poster.

Optisan Mamba combo pack is backordered (d'oh!). I'm planning on mounting it on a Ruger 10/22 and some SWFA SS-Tac low rings.

One of the reviews on SWFA's site reads, "I would have rated this 5 stars for the money except that one of the optical lenses must be canted giving me two distinct images stacked vertically when trying shoot with two eyes open."

Has anyone else experienced this?
topbrass View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topbrass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2011 at 15:48
No, its not the greatest glass, but it is very functional.  If I had one that presented double images, I would certainly return it.  So I dont really see that as a deal killer. 
teebiss View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teebiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2011 at 21:42
Any word on when these will be back in stock?
rfb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2011 at 22:28
I'm hoping I can get mine before Christmas.
RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2012 at 18:14
Thanks for all the write ups on this ive been looking for a night'ish site for fun and this sounds like itll work on my AR!!
Old Mil ftw
RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2012 at 12:27
How mushy is the windage knob on some of yours? Mine clicks one way and sometimes the other way... is that normal for this optic? If you go two right it may only click once going back left. Screws are tight.
Old Mil ftw
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2012 at 13:21
mine has tracked true, the turrets are kinda mushy but the clicks are there on  mine.
xICEMANx View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xICEMANx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2012 at 14:57
Just picked one of these up. No longer do they have the SALT mount included, but an Optisan mount that looks to be a copy of the SALT or Burris mount. Very quality mount and I'm really digging the scope. I boresighted the scope and it was almost right on at 25yds. Taking to the range to do the 100 zero. I do wish the manual came with better instructions on how to use the BDC turrets. I guess once I get the zero I'll mess around with the turrets. I got this scope for possible 3 gun and coyote hunting, so the BDC will be utilizing frequently.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2012 at 14:58
Excellent Let us know how you like it after some time with it.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
xICEMANx View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xICEMANx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2012 at 15:31
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Excellent Let us know how you like it after some time with it.

Took the Mamba to the range to zero. My one complaint about this scope is their is no visable elevation adjustments. IE, Up or Down arrows like most scopes have. Not a huge deal because I was able to figure it out but I think this might save some people some time in zeroing the scope. At least people like me who need reminders like thatBig Smile

Once I got the scope zeroed at 100 yds it was dead on. Nice grouping with my AR. I really like the recticle on this scope. I have yet to play around with the BDC since my range only has a 100yd rifle range. There is another local that I will hit up one day for 200 yrd BDC test. 

Overall this is a great scope/mount combo IMO. This is the 3rd 1-4x scope I've "tested". The Burris Tac 30 had the best glass but I found the recticle to busy and not as "fast". My other experience is with a primary arms 1-4x which was a great scope but lacked any BDC turret or BDC recticle. I noticed Muellar just came out with a 1-4x scope with an introductory price of $160. No mount included. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic