OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Optic Reviews and Tests > Member's Tests and Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Optisan 1-4x24 Mamba

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Optisan 1-4x24 Mamba
    Posted: August/02/2011 at 20:07
Optisan Riflescopes Well I recently picked one of these up for review .  It was interesting to say the least especially the combo package that comes with a SWFA SSALT mount (http://opticstalk.com/optisan-14x24-mamba-swfa-salt-combo_topic29046.html). That essentially makes the scope a $100 1-4.... to me worth the risk of trying it out.
It arrived well packaged and from the first glance it looked great.  The glass was exceptionally clear and reticle nice and crisp.  I had planned before seeing it putting it on my 450 bushmaster.  After all I dont' shoot it near as much as any other gun simply because of the cost factor of the shells and I don't have reloading dies for it yet.  That meant pulling the SWFA SS 1-4x24  off it and had all intentions of putting it on my 17HMR "trainer".  Well i decided that the glass was clear enough that the Mamba would go on there instead at least for the time being. 

I mounted the scope on the 17HMR in Burris Zee 30mm Rings on the weaver mounts that the gun came with. They have proven to hold up well.  I had not even tested the illumination prior to mounting but once I got it mounted and reticle level I put in the supplied battery and tested the illuminaton.  Both the red and green worked good.  Bright enough to see in full daylight but still dim enough to use in low light without bleeding.  I was liking this. 

I pulled the bolt and bore sighted it the best I could for a 17HMR, after all thats a small barrel to try to center something in 50 yds away.  I did the best I could and went to put some rounds downrange.  I put an empty cardboard box out 50yds.  Threw some red dot target stickers on it and got ready.  I put the first round about 10"high and 8" right of the target I aimed at.  Here is where it gets tricky.  The elevation dial isn't marked what direction the turning of the turrets goes.  So being the hard headed man I am i just guessed which way it was and shot again.... I guess wrong.  Fixing the error i adjusted a couple more times to get the elevation on.  The entire time at 50yds I could see my bullet holes in the cardboard box with the scope! Clear little buger.  The result of my turning the turrets was a perfect verticle line about 18" from bull to my error correction.  I then adjusted for windage which was marked which direction turning it did.  That didnt take but a couple adjustments. This is when I discovered a nice surprise, a spare battery in the top of the windage cap.  Pretty cool, i like good surprises.  (PS I know it says it comes with this but I didn't even see that til I came in and started writing this thread, LOL)

I put a 5 shot group down range pretty quick and got a nice little group maybe .5" - .75"  pretty good I thought.  Now to see what I could do.  I loaded up another clip and got real serious.  I wanted to be proud of the group so I took my time controlled breathing, smooth trigger pull, patience.  The result was 5 shots that were less than .5 " almost a 1 hole group.  The scope works!  I turned the illumination on and checked to make sure it had no effect on POI and also tested the POI on different mag powers, no abnormalities were discovered. 

Next came a few shots after twisting the turrets. I haven't had a chance to play with shots at a distance yet but I will test the turrets soon to see how the 17HMR will match up for a turret designed for a 223 military round.  Time will tell.  I did run up and down the entire adjustment range and back to zero and it tracked fine.  I didn't not run the windage because its simply not designed for that.

Overall I really like the scope. Its and absolute steal and I think its about the best sub $400 1-4 on the market right now.  Considering you get the mount and scope for only $150. I have no ideal how long the sale will last, it been going a while but it well worth the cost.
Optisan 1-4x24 Mamba / SWFA S.A.L.T. Combo Optisan 1-4x24 Mamba / SWFA S.A.L.T. Combo
Stock # - OPT37387KIT
  • Matte
  • .223 BDC for 55 gr / 3100 fps
  • Illuminated TRAQ (Red/Green)
  • 30mm
  • Extra Battery in Windage Knob
  • Comes with SWFA SS S.A.L.T. 30mm/1" Scope Mount
$149.95 
Add Optisan 1-4x24 Mamba / SWFA S.A.L.T. Combo to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:

Edited by SVT_Tactical - August/15/2011 at 07:17
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2011 at 20:19
From the left

From the right
"Mamba"
Topside!
Elevation Dial
Elevation Dial
Windage Dial
Windage Dial
Extra battery, wahoo!
Red illumination (not sure why I didn't take one with the green on)
Illumination off.  I can't get a good through the scope picture but the fine dot does show up when actually viewing through the scope with the eye, it is precise too.
Here is the Target
Here is the 5 shot rapid fire group
This is on 1X at 50yds, It may not have been dead on but its constant enough for me to know it wasn't anything other than me off
Here is the group I put effort into.  This was at 50yds and this is 5 shots  on a 1"circle dot.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2011 at 20:47
Good review, Graham.  Sounds like a real "deal".  If it holds up, it's a steal...Has a nice look.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2011 at 20:52
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Good review, Graham.  Sounds like a real "deal".  If it holds up, it's a steal...Has a nice look.  
the only con I can figure out is the paralax is a bit touchy on 4X but with consitant check weld, its not an issue for most.
lumberjack149 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lumberjack149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2011 at 06:06
ive been eyeing this scope for a S&W 15-22 i have and i think your review might have finally put me over the edge. It was between this scope and the Weaver 1-3x20.
Thanks for the review.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2011 at 07:32
You will not be sorry. with the SSALT mount it comes with you will be more than happy.  I imagine with the larger circle reticle it would be quick on steel to run through a course of rapid fire.
topbrass View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topbrass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2011 at 22:59
Sounds good!  Thanks!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2011 at 07:30
Good work, Graham. 

Nice to see a LOW power variable on a rim fire rifle. Thunbs Up 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Hogwylde View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogwylde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2011 at 19:28
I just put this scope and SSALT mount on my M-4 carbine.  I intend to use this setup for 3-gun competition.  Siting the scope in was a snap.  I only had a 100 yard range for initial testing and setup, so I can't verify how accurate that the BDC turret was.  I was able to test point of impact from 100 yards back down to 25 feet.  About an inch low at 50 and 25 yards, and at 1x point of impact was at the bottom of the circle at 25 feet.

I'll probably get poo poo'd from people for not putting a $700-1200 scope on this rifle for what I want to use it for, but I couldn't justify paying more for a scope than I paid for the rifle just so I can burn thru a bunch of wolf steel case ammo putting little holes in cardboard "zombies".

So far, I love this scope.  Two eyes for close up quick shots, 4x zoom for reaching out and touching someone.  Definately an improvement over the non-magnified red dot that I was using.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2011 at 07:27
Nice to see another happy customer.....

Don't you think the glass is surprisingly clear for the $$?
Grant View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2011 at 13:23
   Got mine today.

It is NOT a Japanese scope, it is a scope "Made in China with Japanese technology"  Which means "Made in China".     Truthfully not real surprised, as few scopes at this price level ($100) are made outside of China. 

And going past that, it does seem like a good scope.  Feels better than the NCstars and looks/feels comparable to the Leatherwood CMR scope (Both just handling at gunshows, not usage).

I haven't got it mounted yet, but the glass is very clear and turrets seem to click pretty well.  

I plan on mounting it on an RPK.  I would like to mount it on a gun I use more, and would use more roughly to test it, however the eye relief is too long for use on my regular AK's.     I "might" put it on my FAL, but I hate swapping scopes just to test, and I want to put a mil-dot on the FAL.

P.S.   Love the SALT mount, as soon as I change the scope on my AR15 that puppy is going on.
Grant View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2011 at 13:28
 Oops, lost a paragraph in there. (Meant to go in under my comparison to NCstar and Leatherwood)

What the scope reminds me a great deal of, is the Millet DMS.  Differant reticle and finer center dot, however dimensions very similar.

Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2011 at 13:46
Millett 1-4x24 DMS / Burris P.E.P.R. Combo Illuminated Donut-Dot Millett 1-4x24 DMS / SWFA S.S.A.L.T. Combo
Stock # - MILLETTAR15
  • Matte
  • Illuminated Donut-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Designated Marksman Scope
  • Comes with SWFA S.S.A.L.T. 30mm / 1" Scope Mount
$249.95

Edited by Chris Farris II - August/11/2011 at 13:47
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2011 at 13:47
Optisan 1-4x24 Mamba / SWFA S.A.L.T. Combo Optisan 1-4x24 Mamba / SWFA S.A.L.T. Combo
Stock # - OPT37387KIT
  • Matte
  • .223 BDC for 55 gr / 3100 fps
  • Illuminated TRAQ (Red/Green)
  • 30mm
  • Extra Battery in Windage Knob
  • Comes with SWFA SS S.A.L.T. 30mm/1" Scope Mount
$149.95

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2011 at 14:14
For the difference in money I would go with the Optisan and not look back.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2011 at 14:45
The Optisan is a real steal/sleeper scope!

Edited by SVT_Tactical - August/11/2011 at 14:52
Grant View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2011 at 17:44
  Maybe not.  

I looked through it earlier today (impressions in my above post), and test-mounted it onto my AK.   Power went out this evening and this corner of the house went dark.  Great, perfect opportunity to test out the illuminated center.

You don't notice it in bright daylight, but even get "slightly" cloudy, and the whole scope is shining red/green, that is not only the center dot illuminated, but the entire scope reflects a reddish/greenish haze.

Power setting 1 you don't notice it, Power setting 2 you only notice the haze when it gets really dark.  Power setting 3 is noticable at any point except bright sunlight, and power settings 4 and 5 are noticable at all times except in bright noon-esque light.

Scope would be okay, except the dot/circle really ain't an advantage without illumination.    Put a ghost of a ring mark on it so I ain't gonna be returning it.  Might hang onto it as a non-illuminated scope, Maybe if I get a little more cash saved up I'll trade it in on a XLT 1-4 with Ill. dot.

hatton mann View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatton mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2011 at 23:28
I've been thinking about one of these combos.

One question,,,I take it the illumination must be on for the reticle to be visible ? 
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2011 at 07:07
no the reticle is visable without the illumination.  And in a dark situation you would only use it on the lowest section so that you wouldn't get the haze mentioned above.  I have now used mine in the fullest sun possible and no issues with seeing the reticle illuminated or non illuminated as well as on a moonless night with the red illumination and green illumination both on 1.  Never had an issue.
Cope6.5/284 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cope6.5/284 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2011 at 10:05

Originally posted by Grant Grant wrote:

Maybe not.

I looked through it earlier today (impressions in my above post), and test-mounted it onto my AK. Power went out this evening and this corner of the house went dark. Great, perfect opportunity to test out the illuminated center.
You don't notice it in bright daylight, but even get "slightly" cloudy, and the whole scope is shining red/green, that is not only the center dot illuminated, but the entire scope reflects a reddish/greenish haze.
Power setting 1 you don't notice it, Power setting 2 you only notice the haze when it gets really dark. Power setting 3 is noticable at any point except bright sunlight, and power settings 4 and 5 are noticable at all times except in bright noon-esque light.
Scope would be okay, except the dot/circle really ain't an advantage without illumination. Put a ghost of a ring mark on it so I ain't gonna be returning it. Might hang onto it as a non-illuminated scope, Maybe if I get a little more cash saved up I'll trade it in on a XLT 1-4 with Ill. dot.

On most illuminated scopes, especially under $750 not to mention at $150, you are going to notice bleeding of the illumination when it gets turned up in total darkness. It is unavoidable and why you would want to do so to begin with is beyond me. In that situation it is already going to be hard to acquire any targets to begin with. Then once you turn up the illumination your pupil will constrict even more due to the bright light in your face causing what ever targets you had a chance to acquire in the vast darkness to begin with virtually non existent. To me that is an invalid point. If it doesn't apply to the acutal use of the equipment and doesn't affect the outcome when used properly then why test it to begin with. Sort of like not buying a new dually cause it gives a terrible time on a road course, it's irrelevant. At its price point this scope is an absolute steal. The Bushnell 1-4 XLT is noticeable from setting #3 up also. The glass is very comparable between the two scopes and they seem to reasonably similar in every aspect. The Optisan may be a little heavier. They both function well for the price range for what they were designed for. The Optisan is $150 with a free $50 mount and the Bushnell is $225 with no mount. I didn't see anything between the two to make me want to spend the extra $ on the Bushnell in even the slightest manner. Well except the fact the Bushnell comes with Butler Creek lens caps. They will just cost you an AR mount and an extra $75. Wink

Edited by Cope6.5/284 - August/12/2011 at 10:11
Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a grocery store, not a government agency
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic