OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

no parallax adjustment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishingfool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: no parallax adjustment
    Posted: August/02/2011 at 14:00
I''am thinking about a Redfield four by 12 for my 17hmr for shooting ground squirrels.Ranges are anywhere from 30' to 100 plus yards.Will no parralax adjustment be a problem?When you change magnification how does this affect the parralax?Rifle currently has Sportview  3x9 on it   which is supposed to be a cheap pos,but I can hit the center a of a beer can at 100 to 172 yds,I know because we lasered the distance.My  buddy says I should keep the pos Sportview on it which does have an adjustable objective.I would like a little more magnification than 3x9.thanks for any replys.
DSP Rock Harbor
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2011 at 16:15
Well, they say if it ain't broke don't fix it. LOL. That aside, if ya want a newer, more magnification scope, go for it. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2011 at 17:50
I prefer to have paralax adj on a rimfire  if the power is above 9X. Reason being is the majority of the shots will be under 75 yards. The fixed focus scopes will be set at 100 yds or more. Things will get fuzzy unless you really back down on the magnification on the close shots. My prefered 17 hmr scope is a 2-7X of good quality. Good glass will trump magnification.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
fishingfool View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishingfool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2011 at 20:47
3Tens that answer's my question,they are pre set for a hundred yards which makes sense.I know what you mean BnB,but I would like a little more power.Everbody says the sportview is such pos this is about fifteen years old and normally resides on my 10/22.My hunting partners both put Nikon Buckmaster four by fourteen;s on their 17's and they have side foucus.By the way the number four key on my computer died so have write the number four every time, what a pain! 3tens how is the 2x7 at hundred yards?These squirell's are really small; maybe two inches wide at the fattest part of their body.The young of the year are even smaller but being young and stupid seem get shot the most.Thanks for the replys.
DSP Rock Harbor
mag176 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mag176 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2011 at 17:26
   Those squirrels are mighty small. And mean. Nothing worse than wounding one and having to dig it out of its hole. Those chisel like teeth bound to draw blood. Better strap on a 44 mag for that close in work. You know, just in case.  End up in the emergency ward with a shredded finger and Diane wont let you go hunting with me ever again. 
My suggestion would be on of these.Big Smile.    Later Bro.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishingfool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2011 at 19:56
Mag 176,kinda like that pig hunter up in Sonoma might end up in the hospital.I 'am not sure that scope is big enough.
DSP Rock Harbor
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2011 at 21:24

I use a Minox ZA5  4-20x50 with side focus,outstanding glass,reasonably priced & I think this might get you everything you are looking for in a modern scope!

Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2011 at 23:16
Originally posted by fishingfool fishingfool wrote:

3Tens that answer's my question,they are pre set for a hundred yards which makes sense.I know what you mean BnB,but I would like a little more power.Everbody says the sportview is such pos this is about fifteen years old and normally resides on my 10/22.My hunting partners both put Nikon Buckmaster four by fourteen;s on their 17's and they have side foucus.By the way the number four key on my computer died so have write the number four every time, what a pain! 3tens how is the 2x7 at hundred yards? These squirell's are really small; maybe two inches wide at the fattest part of their body.The young of the year are even smaller but being young and stupid seem get shot the most.Thanks for the replys.

I can hit PD out to 200 yds with the 2-7 Kahles that I have on my 17 HMR. The Gods blessed me with a deal that could not be refused. It is a very high quality scope and the clarity and contrast makes everything stand out Quality glass trumps magnification every time. I have a 2-7 Vortex Viper on another rifle and it would do a very good job on a 17 HMR. The $149 special won't last forever on these. On the samplelist there is a 2-8X32 Monarch for $208 that should be nice. I like a smaller objective for a rimfire. It looks more balanced. Your Buds buckmasters are a serviceable scope I would prefer less power and better glass at the same price. It would only take about 5 minutes to prove the point. Problem is you get spoiled very fast.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishingfool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2011 at 12:26
Thanks 3tens I will check that out.
DSP Rock Harbor
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic