OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Well, I did it!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Well, I did it!
    Posted: August/01/2011 at 22:37
I finally broke a de-capping pin, and now the the sizing ball is stuck inside a piece of brass. Is there any way to get it out? And can I order just the de-cpping pin with the sizing ball?
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2011 at 22:44
Call the die manufacturer and get a hacksaw for the brass.
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2011 at 23:09
I actually got the ball out with out destroying the brass. And I will call RCBS in the morning.
 There was just enough of the thread sticking out the top to back it out, then turn it over re thread it into the ball and pull out the ball.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2011 at 14:07
I haven't done that yet, but I was glad I bought a stuck case remover. I've had to use it twice when I was either too stingy with the die wax or didn't clean the die out. Glad you got it out of there with no damage (other than to the case).
Reaction time is a factor...
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2011 at 14:34
I've ruined a few decapping pins and neck expanders. Why was berdan primed brass ever invented?
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2011 at 14:36
Glad to hear you got it fixed.  I got a case stuck once.   It's pretty simple to make a stuck case remover.  If I remember correctly it consisted of a drill bit, a tap, a few washers and a bolt.    Something like that.  Big Smile  think I just googled it.  
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2011 at 15:55
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

I've ruined a few decapping pins and neck expanders. Why was berdan primed brass ever invented?

It offers more reliable ignition with crappy components and simpler primer construction.  If it makes you feel better, berdan priming was invented in the US.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2011 at 20:27
I got a hold of RCBS today... They are sending me a brand new inner assembly. Totally free of charge! That ROCKS!
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2011 at 09:10
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

It offers more reliable ignition with crappy components and simpler primer construction.  If it makes you feel better, berdan priming was invented in the US.

ILya
 Yeah, I know, but when your in the middle of a reloading session on a progressive press, you just gotta get mad at something when a berdan primed case sneaks in and screws up the primer punch. That's why I now load 308s only on a single station press.
I keep berdan primed ammo because some guns are so hard on brass that it's alomst impossible to reload, so I leave it on the ground or recycle it. Of course some of it sneaks into the bulk reloadable brass just to hear me swear. 
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2011 at 09:53
Sounds like a heavy Berdan to bear, BF.
Reaction time is a factor...
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2011 at 09:56
Laugh Above
Quit it.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2011 at 10:08
some berden primed brass had two holes to increase the probability of at least one working, also the crimping improves cycling  in automatic weapons. 
Make sure the ball is not tilted when returned to the stem, sometimes the stem gets bent in these operations.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2011 at 11:22
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

Guess he'll just have to pres on thru! Bucky
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2011 at 12:15
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

Guess he'll just have to pres on thru! Bucky
That's how you bend depriming pins and shafts; you B.E.M..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2011 at 07:14
Well I received a new ex-pander ball and de-capping assembly from RCBS, and they even gave like 6 extra de-capping pins! The on Sunday, I went to a comp, and my first round of the day got stuck in the chamber... I got it out after I got home(Thanks for the help Big Daddy). Looks like I didn't get the re-sizing lube wiped off good enough...
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2011 at 07:15
Glad it worked out as easy as it did for you.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic