OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which Bullet?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which Bullet for elk using 7mm WSM
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [54.55%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [45.45%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dezmick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Bullet?
    Posted: July/31/2011 at 18:43
I am looking for a bullet to use on elk out of my Browning X-bolt 7mm WSM, i will be hunting in eastern Oregon for Spike elk, and i am pretty sure that i will not be taking a shot that is over 300 yds, so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2011 at 19:08
All of those listed would work fine on elk.  I've shot 2 elk with my 270 win.  One with a 150 grain nosler partition and one with  a 140 grain TSX.   I prefer the TSX, but both worked well.  
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2011 at 19:12

I generally prefer heavier bullets, but the Barnes TTSX is superior.  I think I would choose it...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2011 at 19:18
No losers in that group, I went with the sectional density.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2011 at 19:18
Don't get to hung up on what bullet to use.  Just find one that shoots good in your rifle and stick with it.  All these premium bullets are way over rated IMO.  I have killed elk with basic soft points on up to Accubonds and Barnes.  They all killed the elk just fine.  Making a good hit on then animal is way more important than a brand of bullet will ever be.  If you make a bad hit, no premium bullet is going to fix that.  But if you hit the lungs or heart, any bullet will do the trick.  For an elk a heavier bullet would be better IMO if you go with a lead filled bullet.  If you choose an all copper then the lighter will probably work as good as they loose less weight. 

I am really liking Sierra Game Kings, they shoot great in everything I have tried, they have a good BC, and kill what I shoot without any problem.  The Hornady partition type work great too.  I can buy 3 or 4 times the amount of Sierra or Hornady's for the price of Accubonds or Barnes.  That equals lots more practice.

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2011 at 07:07
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Don't get to hung up on what bullet to use.  Just find one that shoots good in your rifle and stick with it.  All these premium bullets are way over rated IMO.  I have killed elk with basic soft points on up to Accubonds and Barnes.  They all killed the elk just fine.  Making a good hit on then animal is way more important than a brand of bullet will ever be.  If you make a bad hit, no premium bullet is going to fix that.  But if you hit the lungs or heart, any bullet will do the trick.  For an elk a heavier bullet would be better IMO if you go with a lead filled bullet.  If you choose an all copper then the lighter will probably work as good as they loose less weight. 

I am really liking Sierra Game Kings, they shoot great in everything I have tried, they have a good BC, and kill what I shoot without any problem.  The Hornady partition type work great too.  I can buy 3 or 4 times the amount of Sierra or Hornady's for the price of Accubonds or Barnes.  That equals lots more practice.

+2
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2011 at 10:14
Agree with the gameking , to much bullet fluff on high end stuff.  Buying 500 rds and shooting the rifle from all positons, (get of the bench) better path.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2011 at 11:17
I agree that just about any reasonably well constructed bullet will work well for elk, with good shot placement.  I do think that hard bullets like the Barnes provide a bit of extra insurance, if the heavy bones of the shoulder are encountered,  but so do standard bullets with high sectional densities.

I have killed bulls with Accubonds, TSX, and Remington Core Lokts with the same results.

Like ST said, find the best shooting bullet for your rifle.

-Matt
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2011 at 16:26
+1 On what Supertool said. IMHO accuracy counts more than "super" construction. If it shoots well out of your rifle, and your aim is good, the elk will die.
   I shoot 178gr. AMAX's out of my 300 WSM, and they blow through 1/2" steel plate at 470yds. This is a bullet that is not rated for even medium game by Hornady.
   With the 7mm WSM, I would look into 160gr. or 175gr. Sierra Game Kings. 180gr. Berger's also get very good reviews, but are pretty expensive. 

If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic