OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Binocular Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlglock40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Binocular Help
    Posted: July/31/2011 at 15:32

Hey Guys I really need some help picking out binoculars. I had a pair of the 10x50 Nikon actions. They worked good, but fogged up all the time. I then bought a pair of 8x42 nikon trailblazers. I liked these but they just did not work in low light as well as the 10x50. I know this because I had these and my friend had a pair of Leupold 10x50 Mesas and we sat side by side in the stand last week. He could see the bucks horns and I could not. It was getting dark but plenty of daylight left.

I am now considering either the Leupold Rogue 10x50 Porro prism or the Vortex Diamondback 10x50 roof prism. I am open to other suggestions. I want to spend $200 or less. I can get the Rogues for around $130 and the Vortex for around $188.

I do not know much about binoculars. Just the basics. So any advice is appriceated.

Thanks in advance
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2011 at 15:45
If you are looking for waterproof/fogproof here is one more brand to consider.

If at all possible, you should look through some binos at your local Sporting Goods dealer.

Edited by Bird Watcher - July/31/2011 at 15:45
mlglock40 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlglock40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2011 at 15:58
Thanks! Do you know how these compare to the Leupold Rogues?
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2011 at 00:42
Take a look at the Nikon Action Extreme series.  Similar optics to the Actions you liked, but also waterproof, so no fogging.

http://swfa.com/Nikon-10x50-Action-Extreme-ATB-Binocular-P42199.aspx

-Matt
tpcollins View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2011 at 06:15
You do realize that on a beer budget, you're not going to get something that tastes like champagne . . .
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2011 at 10:20
Originally posted by mlglock40 mlglock40 wrote:

Hey Guys I really need some help picking out binoculars. I had a pair of the 10x50 Nikon actions. They worked good, but fogged up all the time. I then bought a pair of 8x42 nikon trailblazers. I liked these but they just did not work in low light as well as the 10x50. I know this because I had these and my friend had a pair of Leupold 10x50 Mesas and we sat side by side in the stand last week. He could see the bucks horns and I could not. It was getting dark but plenty of daylight left.

I am now considering either the Leupold Rogue 10x50 Porro prism or the Vortex Diamondback 10x50 roof prism. I am open to other suggestions. I want to spend $200 or less. I can get the Rogues for around $130 and the Vortex for around $188.

I do not know much about binoculars. Just the basics. So any advice is appriceated.

Thanks in advance
First off, welcome to OT.

Second, why is it you think you need a 50mm glass?  Thehere are other reasons why the Nikon Trailblazer didn't work as well as the Mesa 10x50, besides the 8mm difference in objective sizes.  For one thing the Mesa is a better binocular to begin with.  The Trailblazer isn't much new out of the box IMO.

The best binocular I have perssonal experience with for just over $200 is either the Zen Ray ZRS or the Theron Wapiti HQ.  The ZRS in particular is pretty compact for a 42mm glass.  I have a 10x50 Mesa and it is NOT something I have any intention of hanging around my neck all day because of its size.  Size, not necessarily the weight.  You will also get a reduced field of view with a 50 mm glass, not something I like for doing serious glassing.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

spf2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2011 at 15:31

between your two options, I think Leupold rogue is a better binocular overall than the Vortex diamondback

FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2011 at 20:29
At that price point I would tend to agree with the porro prism suggestions (with a few exceptions like the models that Klamath suggested). If optical performance...particularly apparent brightness is paramount of importance....then the porro prism models are the route to probably take. If you are looking for more portability then consider the roofs.

I have a pair of the 8x40 configuration of the PCF WP IIs mentioned above due in some time this week. I had them once before and was very happy with the apparent sharpness, edge performance and color representation. They were also very well built. Their only drawback is their physical size/weight and relatively narrow field of view. If none of that bothers you then they are definitely a good suggestion.

Edited by FrankD - August/01/2011 at 20:46
Frank
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic