OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scopes comparable to Leupold V3?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scopes comparable to Leupold V3?
    Posted: July/31/2011 at 12:03
I see that Leupold has ugraded thier V3 line of scopes again. Who else is in that quality/featues/price range? What say you? Thanks...
Gary

Never underestimate the likelihood that the Republicans will cave...

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2011 at 13:01
Zeiss Conquest is the general consensus as far as prefered to Leupold.
Several compaines market similar optics what are you looking for, what distance do you plan to shoot, what rifle caliber and how do you hunt  stalk or stand?

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
GaryO View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2011 at 13:38
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Conquests have tried for a long time to carve out more market share. Nice scopes; but general consensus preferred? I doubt it...
Gary

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2011 at 14:05
Conquest, Bushnell Elite 4200. NIkon Monarch, Minox, Meopta.  
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2011 at 14:11
Originally posted by GaryO GaryO wrote:

Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Conquests have tried for a long time to carve out more market share. Nice scopes; but general consensus preferred? I doubt it...
To those who own them........I think so. I was on the fence about which to buy, but after buying the Conquest, I've never looked back. I'll take a Conquest over the Leupy every time if I have the choice.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2011 at 14:53
Conquest and VX3 are pretty equivalent scopes, feature for feature.  I think Conquest may have ever so slightly better optics, though it's very close.  Comparing scopes of the same or similar power range, VX3 is generally lighter and more compact.  I like Conquest's reticles better overall.  Leupold has a better warranty and CS, though Zeiss isn't shabby in that regard either.

As mentioned, Meopta Meopro, Minox, Bushnell Elite, Nikon Monarch, Sightron SII Big Sky and SIII, and Vortex Viper are all in the same general class as well.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2011 at 15:00
The VX3 line was upgraded 2 years ago, are you possibly thinking of the VXR or VX6?

Edited by lucytuma - July/31/2011 at 15:01
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
GaryO View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2011 at 15:43
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Conquest and VX3 are pretty equivalent scopes, feature for feature.  I think Conquest may have ever so slightly better optics, though it's very close.  Comparing scopes of the same or similar power range, VX3 is generally lighter and more compact.  I like Conquest's reticles better overall.  Leupold has a better warranty and CS, though Zeiss isn't shabby in that regard either.

As mentioned, Meopta Meopro, Minox, Bushnell Elite, Nikon Monarch, Sightron SII Big Sky and SIII, and Vortex Viper are all in the same general class as well.

How are the customer service reputations of all these companies?
Gary

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2011 at 16:26
From what I've read, Bushnell is generally good but can be spotty, Vortex is top notch.  From personal experience, Nikon is clueless about some of their products.  Leupold is as good as it gets along with Swaro.  Zeiss can have a pretty long turnaround time if they have to ship it back to Germany to fix.  No clue about the others.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2011 at 16:50
Yep, I think JGR pretty much summed it up.  I've used Leupold and Vortex CS and both are outstanding.   I haven't used Bushnell's CS before, but a buddy of mine has, and it wasn't a good experience for him at all.  He had to return a trail camera 3 times until they finally sent him one that worked properly.  Don't know if that has any correlation to what one could expect from scope service... or anything at all for that matter, so take that for what it's worth.  I've never had to use Zeiss CS before despite owning several Zeiss products.  But, I've heard the exact same thing about them as JGR -- that they take care of their customers, but sometimes their turnaround can be lengthy.  I've heard some pretty mixed reports on Nikon.  Haven't heard enough on the others to get any impression one way or the other.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2011 at 18:02
Zeiss CS is outstanding, or at least it was the only time I used it 6 or 7 years ago. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2011 at 19:04
I sent my conquest back to Zeiss because of a problem about a year ago.  They fixed it and sent it back without a problem.  Therefore, I am happy with there customer service.  It did take a long time to get the scope back.   I think it was nearly 2 months.  I was in no hurry to get it back so not a problem for me.  
GaryO View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2011 at 19:35
Last scope I sent to Leupold Custom Shop for a crosshair change was back within a week.
Gary

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2011 at 19:47
Zeiss replaced a Conquest for me in less than 3 weeks. Not sure I remember. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
GaryO View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2011 at 19:50
Wow, that is fast. I could live with that...
Gary

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic