OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Fullfield II concerns.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eurolynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fullfield II concerns.
    Posted: July/30/2011 at 10:53
I got a Fullfield II  3-9x about six months ago, and I have been a long time Burris fan.  But when I looked under the scope and saw Made in the Philippines, it well.............was a total turn off.   The only reason I purchased it was because I just wanted another affordable US made scope. 

I own other Asian-Pacific rim scopes and am satisfied with them, but they are not Burris.

But now I simply ask, can I trust this Asian made Burris as much as I trust my Greeley, CO made scopes?
"Guns aren't toys! They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face!"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2011 at 11:25
I would venture to guess that the "Merican" made scope you covet, had parts from all over, to include the Pacific rim region, my friend. The glass, almost certainly. 
They are just assembled in Colorado. 

As an aside, The PI has some REALLY good things associated with them. Some, in fact are so good, I can't mention them on a family friendly forum. Big Grin Devil 

Edited by cheaptrick - July/30/2011 at 11:28
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2011 at 11:44
I have seen the newer FFII's and think they are fine scopes for the money. The tooling and processes used in the PI are supposed to duplicate Greeley.
It's been many years since Burris has used the lenses that were made in PA. I have a couple of those scopes from the seventies and early eighties. I think the newer ones are just as nice.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3197/is_n4_v38/ai_13996910/?tag=mantle_skin;content
Doug
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2011 at 12:02
Okay, I have it. Plummer Precision Optics used to be the supplier.

Edited by tahqua - July/30/2011 at 12:07
Doug
Gerry Atric View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2011 at 12:55
Is there any 100 % US-made scope in production today ?

Lenses, tube and internals (the whole shabang) all US made ?

Gerry Atric
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2011 at 15:26
Burris Fullfield II scopes are excellent, reliable, and a very good buy for the money. 

The introduction of the Fullfield II scope by Burris is one of the reasons Leupold had to update and improve their line.   I actually sold a Leupold Vari-X III and got a Fullfield II because the Burris was so much better!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2011 at 15:37
Originally posted by Gerry Atric Gerry Atric wrote:

Is there any 100 % US-made scope in production today ?

Lenses, tube and internals (the whole shabang) all US made ?

Gerry Atric

US Optics? Not sure about the glass though. 
eurolynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eurolynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2011 at 17:53
Now Merican is a blast from the past.  A German friend had one on his .22 Hornet, he loved that scope.  I haven't seen one since maybe 1989.

But by Asian-Pacific rim scopes,  I meant the Elite 3200 (two of them), and Buckmasters (also two), I think they are both super scopes.
"Guns aren't toys! They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face!"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2011 at 18:27
Brother, I think that's the new reality now. Everything is outsourced these days. 

If you like them and they work for you....(shrug) 
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2011 at 09:14
The FFII is a proven design, reliable and a decent value. I also think it competes pretty well with the buckmasters and 3200.  For me the rotating eye piece is an issue, but this has been changed with the updated E1.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic