OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SWFA 10x42 Question.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apopkared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SWFA 10x42 Question.
    Posted: July/29/2011 at 08:34
Do any of you know if with the SWFA SS 10x42 I need to get a 20moa base for my Savage. I know on the bushnell you do. I just could'nt find the information anywhere on line. Thanks for any help.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2011 at 08:47
It all depends on what you are gonna be doing.  I would be inclined to say no you dont' need it unless your shooting a gun that has a lot of drop at long distances. They have a lot of elevation travel and 90% of users don't ever use more than 10% of the total travel I'd wager.

What rifle and what use will you be doing?
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2011 at 08:47
Welcome to the OT!

What distance are you planning on shooting?The SS has plenty of elevation built in,I don't think you would need any additional elevation till you start shooting out past 400 yds.I'm sure those more knowledge on long distance shooting will chime in.I only shoot out to 400 yrds & have never had a need for a 20moa base with any of my SS scopes.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2011 at 08:49
Graham you are fast....WowBig Grin
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Boomholzer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2011 at 08:51
The 20moa base is ballistically relevant not rifle manufacturer dependant. What caliber, 308? Max Range?

Even if the optic supports the range in elevation adjustment, it's often a good idea to use a 20moa base to shift this adjustment range or travel across the middle.
apopkared View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apopkared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2011 at 10:24

I'll be shooting 308 10fpc Savage. range 100-800.Thanks for the info.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2011 at 10:30
You won't necessarily need the base on that rifle for those distances.  But I would still get one.  In case in the future you choose another scope with less adjustment range. 

Also it keeps your erector more in the center of the tube at longer distance which is a good thing.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2011 at 14:34
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

But I would still get one.  In case in the future you choose another scope with less adjustment range. 

Also it keeps your erector more in the center of the tube at longer distance which is a good thing.

THIS^^^^

Welcome to The OT. 
(Where excellent recommendations, like the ones submitted in this thread, are common place.)
Wink
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2011 at 19:32
The same scope on my savage(chambered in 300 wsm), on a flat base, has enough internal adjustment to get me to trans-sonic. Which is about 1500 yards. But 20 MOA base is not going to hurt anything, especially if you already have one.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Rem .308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rem .308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2016 at 19:04
Can anyone tell me the max elevation the mil/mil version of this scope has. I can only find info on the moa version of the 10 x 42 ss.
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2016 at 20:56
The erector travel is pretty much the same for both scopes. So if you divide 120 by 3.4 equals about 35 mils of travel. I believe they are advertised for 33+mils.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
MikieG View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2016 at 00:00
The SS has 120 moa of travel. The average 7.62mm rifle will go from zero at 100 yards to zero at 1000 yards in 37-40 moa. 10 -11 mils. Even after zeroing, there is still plenty of elevation travel to do anything you could want that rig to do.
Not to mention the full 10 mils below the aiming point in the reticle. Beautiful scope there sir!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic