OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which Scope To Buy?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haroldwells3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Scope To Buy?
    Posted: July/23/2011 at 20:06

I got a new Browning X-Bolt Stainlesss Stalker, and I Need a scope. I am leaning twords a Swarovski, but I dont know witch one. Which one is best? Also I would take any advice twords a Leupold or a Kahles.

Somewhere in Iran A Village Is Missing Its Niglet!
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2011 at 20:56
What caliber?  What is the budget?  I think you'll get some good insight if you can help us with those two questions.
FreeJersey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeJersey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2011 at 21:29
Budget, caliber and purpose of the rifle would help.

Edited by FreeJersey - July/23/2011 at 21:29
haroldwells3 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haroldwells3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2011 at 21:38
It's a .270. My dad says he wants to get me the best. He has like a 3,000 dollar Kahles so i think he means it but I dont wanna get too crazy. Also it's for deer hunting in alabama i mean nothing over like a 300-400 yard shot at the most, and that would be crazy.
haroldwells3 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haroldwells3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2011 at 21:41
I also would be ok with a Nikon, but I dont know much about them.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2011 at 22:30
There are a lot of good scopes out there.

Assuming that you want to get a truly top end scope, but have enough of a conscience to not make your father pay ridiculous amount of money, I suggest you get this:

If you are OK with a scope that is not brand new, something off the sample list would be an excellent choice:

ILya

338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2011 at 23:33
+1

ILya is in the Know.
No one
torisdad View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2011 at 23:38
Originally posted by haroldwells3 haroldwells3 wrote:

It's a .270. My dad says he wants to get me the best. He has like a 3,000 dollar Kahles so i think he means it but I dont wanna get too crazy. Also it's for deer hunting in alabama i mean nothing over like a 300-400 yard shot at the most, and that would be crazy.
Harold you have a nice dad I'd say. Wish my pops had the cash and the willingness to pop for a $2k plus scope when I was 14. Good luck and Ilya will not steer you wrong. He is da man.

Andrew
Scottyman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2011 at 07:51

If you appreciate fine glass give these a look.
 Your dad did say you should have the best. Remind him.

Zeiss 4-16x50 Victory Diavari FL 30mm Rifle Scope

Premier Heritage 3-15x50 Hunter 30mm Riflescope

Maine? Where's that?
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2011 at 08:41
Welcome haroldwells 3! Another great choice would be a Sightron Big Sky 3-9 X 42. It's under $400 and will do anything you need. It has a hydrophobic coating on the less that works well. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2011 at 11:08
Throw an SS 3x9 on there, save the ole man some dough, and go out and shoot.  Just because you have the budget, doesn't mean you have to spend it all.  As you stated, you'll only be going out to 300 - 400 yards max.

You don't have to spend a ton to get some damn decent glass, with great tracking, solid internals, and lifetime warranty.  You can if you want to.... it's your or your dads money, but you'll be doing it because you can, not because you don't have other options that will get the job done for less.

I have a SS 3x9 mil-quad on my ar that will be used for deer hunting this fall and it's plenty of scope. 

As you get into shooting do you think you'll get into shooting at longer ranges whether it be at targets, or hunting places where you get to stretch the legs of that .270 in the future?  Something else for you to consider depending on the answer to the above question is whether you ever plan to dial in corrections on your scope or just hold over.  This will lead you towards a preference of either capped or uncapped turrets on your scope.

Just my opinion, but in the price line for the SS scopes and value you get for your dollars, you can pay more, but can't buy better.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic