OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Loose armor, what to do?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sefrez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loose armor, what to do?
    Posted: July/19/2011 at 02:16
Hello all. First off this is my first post!

Ok, back about 2 months ago I bought the Nikon Monarch ATB. I have found that a lot of people don't care too much for them, but I wonder if that is mainly referred to the older ones. I think the optics with the dielectric coating are quite good on the new one. The FOV just lacks a tad.

Anyway, the armor. When I first got them, I remember one spot on the left barrel would make a small popping noise every now and then if squeezed just right. Just recently it seems to have gotten worse, all over. I will handle the bino's as normal and the armor will "pop" under my hands as it binds and unbinds to the inner barrels. After looking at it for a bit I found out, though obvious as it was before hand, that the armor was lose. I can take my fingers and pull them around the barrel and the armor's looseness also raps around a bit. So basically, it is like the glue didn't take. (they do glue the armor, right?) Either that or the armor is too big...

I contacted Nikon about it and they of course said that I should service it. The reason I am posting here is to see if maybe there is a way I can fix this myself. Would be annoying to go through all that trouble if it is a simple fix. Maybe if there was a certain glue for this that I could some how get up under the armor. If I had a flexible needle, I could do it. Any thoughts on that? Bad idea?
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2011 at 06:55
I'd personally send them in, if you try and fix them yourself it may void your warranty.

Edited by lucytuma - July/19/2011 at 06:55
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2011 at 07:57
Send them in.
-Matt
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2011 at 11:23
Ditto to Lucytuma and Matt.  This is a classic case of why we want warranty in the first place.  Just be sure you have the original reciept, for some reason Nikon seems a bit anal about that.  Evidently the warranty is more to the original owner than to the binocular.  They do have a $25.00 fee that will fix anything to problems to other than the original owner.  I had a Monarch and when it had an issuer the fixed it fine.  When I had to send it again for a collimation problem, I didn't have the reciept and it cost me $25.00.  However the fix was with a new binocular.  Anyway, just send it in.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Sefrez View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sefrez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2011 at 15:03
Alright guys. I will send it in. I will have to find the receipt. It should be around some where so I should be able to get it done free - other than shipping charges. Mind telling me how long this process can take when them fixing the problem?
Sefrez View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sefrez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2011 at 15:05
*with them fixing the problem?

I can't edit my post for some reason lol. Next time I should read over it before submitting it. :)

Thanks.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2011 at 17:15
My experience with them has been that they don't take a lot of time.  I would venture to guess it won't be in their possession more than a week.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Phoenix356 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phoenix356 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2011 at 19:08
Use it to your advantage as some type of game call.

Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2011 at 06:18
Originally posted by Phoenix356 Phoenix356 wrote:

Use it to your advantage as some type of game call.

Quote of the week!
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Sefrez View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sefrez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2011 at 21:21
Hey guys,

I figured out that I was still in my return period so I just returned them. I had 90 days rather than the usual 30. :) I actually intended to exchange them, but they had none in stock (DicksSportingGoods.)

So now I have ~$300 free to spend on some Bino's. I don't mind getting the Nikon's again as I said my initial idea was to exchange them, but now that I have I would like to ask this question: What would you say is the best pair I can get for ~$300? Would it still be the Nikon's or something different?

Also, where do Japan made Bino's start at? It is so hard to find out where a Bino is made as it seems to be hidden until you have bought it.

Thanks!
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2011 at 06:14
the vortex  discontinued vipers are a good buy at that price range  imo   i had a pair of 8x monarchs and if you like yours, the viper is alot nicer glass Smile  Give SWFA a call they can help  

Edited by coyote95 - July/23/2011 at 06:20
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
Sefrez View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sefrez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2011 at 15:58
When you say that they are better, are you saying better than the new monarchs (with dielectric coating) or the old?

Old:
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-7432-Monarch-All-Terrain-Binoculars/dp/B00006I5JH/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1311454625&sr=8-2

New:
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-7295-Monarch-10x42-Binocular/dp/B0033PRQBA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311454625&sr=8-1

These are the 10s but all other is pretty much equal with the 8s.

Thanks!
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2011 at 17:19
There is not much difference in the new an old Monarch, IMO.  Yes the new ones have dielectric coatings and the image is a bit brighter and maybe a bit better, but I doubt if I handed you an unmarked one or the orher (old or new) that you could really tell which one I gave you.

The original Viper is better than either Monarch, again IMO.  I had the original Monarch and original Viper. 

You ask where the Japan made glass starts, probably above $400 for the most part, and it will be an investigative adventure to figure out what was/is made where.  Many Japanese optics firms have significant connections in the Chinese optics industry.  For example your Monarch is Chinese made.

If you are looking for a good binocular for not a lot of money, I'd steer you to either the Zen Ray ZRS or the Theron Wapiti HQ.  Both are better than either Monarch, again speaking from my personal experience.  Both can be had for less than $250.
Steve

Sefrez View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sefrez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2011 at 22:08
Thanks Klamath for your very informative post. Yeah, I guess being that $400 is the low line of Japan made bino's it may be best just to stick with the higher end China made.

The Zen Ray optics look really nice though I have noticed that no one really sells them other than the official website. Is there any known reason for this? Take competitor for example, they have like 52 brands, but no zen included. What is more weird is that not even amazon has a single zen ray for sell. I am guess that they are just a more private single based company?

I'm wondering though if I should just take this chance already having $300 and saving up for a Vortex Talon or Zen Ray ED2. About the same price point at ~$450

Are they also China or no?

Thanks again. I need you peoples knowledge as I am new to the better bino's. Always had that cheap junk that you find at walmart for $40 or less lol.
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2011 at 17:00
Sefrez:

You should look no further than the sponsor of this site, and that is SWFA.  They are a ZenRay
dealer, and from time to time, have demos, on the Sample list.
Check it out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2011 at 18:04
Originally posted by Sefrez Sefrez wrote:

I'm wondering though if I should just take this chance already having $300 and saving up for a Vortex Talon or Zen Ray ED2. About the same price point at ~$450

Are they also China or no?

If you can wait and save the bit extra for the ED2s, or ED3s, or Talons ... I would say go for it.  Those bins are true values.  I strongly suspect the Talons and Zens are coming from the same place, originally, and that place is in China.
-Matt
Sefrez View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sefrez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2011 at 23:41
Thanks for the info guys. I just did figure out about the sponsor, SWFA. They seem to have a nice selection. What do you mean by "demos" though? Is it that the ones on samplelist.com are used and the ones on swfa.com are new unopened boxed?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2011 at 08:28
Originally posted by Sefrez Sefrez wrote:

Thanks for the info guys. I just did figure out about the sponsor, SWFA. They seem to have a nice selection. What do you mean by "demos" though? Is it that the ones on samplelist.com are used and the ones on swfa.com are new unopened boxed?

Swfa.com = new, unopened box, full warranty.

Samplelist.com = used, trade-in, or demo (store display, etc.).
-Matt
coach kang View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Donkey Impersonator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coach kang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2011 at 04:03
<another spammer banned>

Edited by koshkin - July/29/2011 at 09:55
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic