OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

When you can have my guns.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2011 at 16:45
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Originally posted by shooter07 shooter07 wrote:

Now THAT is a damn fine revolver Ilya! Excellent

Thanks.  It was a birthday gift.  To me.  From me.
Just for the record, this was as close to divorce as I ever got.

ILya

HAHA, that's priceless. What was her reaction when you said "hunny, look what i just picked up"? Wink

That couldn't have been a cheap wheel gun either. I absolutely love the craftsmanship and engravings.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2011 at 16:49

Now THAT is a damn fine revolver Ilya! Excellent

Thanks.  It was a birthday gift.  To me.  From me.
Just for the record, this was as close to divorce as I ever got.

ILya

HAHA, that's priceless. What was her reaction when you said "hunny, look what i just picked up"? Wink

That couldn't have been a cheap wheel gun either. I absolutely love the craftsmanship and engravings.

I came home and said: "Honey, I have good news and bad news.  Good news first: I sold a bunch of scopes and binoculars I no longer needed...."

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2011 at 17:03
Glocks ROCK... I've owned most of the older style pistols known to Americans, have shot most of the currently available.  I love the Glocks... any caliber except .22.  For that I like the Ruger 22/45 or the S&W 22A and 41.  Of course the old tried and true 1911 .45 is always great.  

My favorite revolvers are the S&W 629 6" or 8 3/8" and the 686 4" and 6".  

Come to think of it, I never really fired one I didn't like.

But I love the Glocks...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2011 at 17:22

I came home and said: "Honey, I have good news and bad news.  Good news first: I sold a bunch of scopes and binoculars I no longer needed...."

That was almost your undoing. You're supposed to say, "Honey, I've got some really bad news. I beat up a cop after I totaled the car ramming into his cruiser." Then when she starts freaking, say, "Actually I sold off a bunch of my optics crap and got this to protect our family."
Reaction time is a factor...
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2011 at 17:30
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

That was almost your undoing. You're supposed to say, "Honey, I've got some really bad news. I beat up a cop after I totaled the car ramming into his cruiser." Then when she starts freaking, say, "Actually I sold off a bunch of my optics crap and got this to protect our family."

I have tried your approach, but it did not work.  She knows that I have a healthy respect for the law.  As far pretending that I need another gun to protect the family.  Well, she has seen by collection, so it is an insult to her intelligence.

ILya
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2011 at 18:07
That's a real purdy revolver Ilya I'm jealous.I'm a S&W guy myself[always carry 2 snubs]My favorite gun is still my Springfield 1911,can't stand plastic gun guns.Most of my shooting friends are LE,they all carry Blocks & yet they all seem to carry S&W snubby back ups,why is that?
Get Your Popcorn Ready
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2011 at 18:09
Gents:
I think we ALL can agree that even the best handgun, is only best for shooting your way to your rifle. 

stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2011 at 18:14
Amen CT,although a 1911 was the only handgun to ever capture a Tank in battle.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2011 at 08:04
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Gents:
I think we ALL can agree that even the best handgun, is only best for shooting your way to your rifle. 

or your scattergunWink
Voodoo6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Now With Kung-Fu Grip!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voodoo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2011 at 08:29
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Gents:

or your scattergunWink

Roger this...
12 gauge with 00 buck covers a multitude of sins, according to the Good Book.  
"A prisoner of the white lines on the freeway"
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2011 at 08:56
I just love a good 1911 and .45s in general.
I've never owned a Glock, but have a polymer framed Ruger P97 and it's very rugged and reliable and accurate enough...
I also have an alloy framed P90. Both are de- cockers and I like the system- they're safe.
Both will feed anything I run through them... they'll feed a magazine of fired cases!
Both pistols are natural pointers for me... I've often just pointed at an object and then checked the sights and would be dead- on target.
The P90 is remarkably accurate. I once owned a Shockey Nat'l Match 1911 which was magnificent w/very light target loads, but wasn't setup to handle anything else. The P90 isn't as accurate as that Shockey, of course, (neither am I,) but the P90 (and P97) will run +P stuff all day long, or light target loads, too.

One would have to pay a lot of money to get a modded 1911 anywhere close to the accuracy and reliability of my P90.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2011 at 13:43
Well since a few of you want to hear the argument about officers picking their own sidearms vs. a one gun Dept., I thought I would provide some of the general points. I could write about this topic till next month, but I have better things to do thanBeating a Dead Horse.
 Mind you I used to be a proponent of letting officers buy their own guns, since that was the policy of my Dept. when I started some 35 years ago. We were issued a Dept. gun (S&W Mod. 10), but could carry our own revolver as long as it was a Colt or S&W revolver in either 38spl/357Mag or 44spl/Mag, but we had to use Dept. ammo, which was 38 +P or 44spl. The next largest Dept. in the County had to buy their own guns but was limited to Colt, S&W, and Ruger revolvers in 38spl/357mag and they could carry either 38spl or 357 mag loads. They later allowed S&W 39/59, Berretta 92F, or Sig226 in 9mm. I still didn't think we had enough choices, and I thought the ban on magnum ammo was redicules. I held this opinion up until I became heavily envolved in our firearms training and started to see results from the two different policies.
Dang, I've started this novel, so I may as well keep it going...............sorta.
Law suites across the nation started mandating that Law Enforcement agencies train and qualify their people that carry deadly weapons or risk writting some big checks for failing to address the liabilities. So we set a minimum standard and started qualifing our officers, as well as sending them to firearms related in-service training. This is when we started to learn things, especially since backup and off duty guns were included in this mix.
First we learned that revolvers are difficult for most officers to shoot. Second, we learned that officers that have difficulty with revolvers generally do much better with autos. Third, revolvers are not as reliable as everyone thought. We learned a lot of other things as well, such as maintenence, holsters, equipment, parts, ammo, and other things have a bearing on training and logistics, and how they effect cost and efficency of training.
We started developing goals, plans and proposals to adopt semiautomatic pistols for our officers, but they were turned down by an administration that was opposed to autos and the cost. Then after several incidents, including a major shooting that made national news, the administration changed it's mind, but it had to be one gun for everybody.
We went to work and transitioned the Dept. over to the S&W 6906 and a training program that not only raised our minimum standards for qualifications, but also made the qualification courses much more difficult than before. Scores rose, and training became more uniform and efficient. We no longer had to worry about different calibers of ammo or spare parts. If a magazine was bad, here's another one, if a pistol broke, here's another one. Don't know how to drop the slide after a reload, heres how. That doesn't work for you, here is an accepted alternative. Instead of spending time teaching someone how to use their particular weapon, we were teaching them how to use their weapon more effeciently. Inside of 3 years we took a Dept. that had difficulty achieving minimum State standards to a Dept. that was the envy of Dept.s across the Nation. When Bill Clinton came to push his recently passed Crime Bill, he wanted officers from our Dept. on stage with him. The  Secret Service didn't want armed police officers on stage with the President. Our Chief told the SS that our officers were better trained than the SS agents guarding the President and our officers will not appear on stage disarmed with the President. The local SS head agent agreed with the Chief and the President's SS agent relented. You see, the local Fed.s used our range too and had seen us train, and they knew we as a whole we were better than them.
Now, what does this have to do with officers picking their own guns vs. a one gun policy? Plenty. Because we didn't have to worry about different calibers of ammo in our ammo budget, we always had plenty of ammo to TRAIN with. Because we didn't have to worry about having an armorer trained for different guns we could train more people to be armorers and there was always one available, and we always have parts on hand. We didn't have to have instructors trained in the different intracacies of different weapon systems. A Glock is different from a Smith 6906, and it's different from a Sig, etc.. There were plenty of well trained instuctors willing to teach accepted techniques that doesn't conflict with what you may use with another weapon system. Other equipment was uniform as well; holsters, mag carriers, and cleaning equipment. All this makes training more uniform, easier, more efficient, and faster.
Having one gun also makes it easier to spot training issues, equipment, and policies that may be defficient. As a result of this we eventially replaced the 6906s with Glock 22s.
Does all this mean that a Glock 22 is better for everyone instead of a CZ 75 or XD 40....no. Does it mean that your better with the pistol you train with than the pistol that fits your hand...........yes. Does how you train have any baring on how you perform under stress........yes.
I recently attended a high speed low drag firearms course for inservice training and I think it was a fantastic course, I think it could have been so much more if the instuctors were dealing with one weapon system. At least there weren't any revolvers to deal with and the 45 shooters had hi-cap mags.
Whew, glad I kept it short.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2011 at 14:06
Very good read BF.  Thank you
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2011 at 15:08
Well said BF. Suffice to say good training is critical and crucial. Excellent
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2011 at 08:48
Thanks for the write up Lynn. Excellent It definitely opened my eyes a bit more on the mentality of departments wanting to make firearms uniform.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic