OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need Some Help!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gjw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Some Help!!!
    Posted: July/18/2011 at 17:53
Hi all, kind of a follow up on my previous post.  Here's the story, we jump shoot deer up here a lot from cattail sloughs and other thicker cover.  Most shots can be fleeting and the deer are on the run, so running shots are common.  At times the deer jump up within feet of you and can be gone in a shot (pardon the pun!).  Other times the shots are standing out to around 200yds.

What I need is a good quality variable that can handle both situations.

I've always liked a wide view scope, but don't know of anyone who makes a good quality one.  The wide view would IMO help with the short range running shots.

The rifle is a Ruger M77RSI in 7mm-08

Looking at a 1.5 or 2 x 7 or 8

Any suggestions would be great and welcomed!!!

Thanks and all the best!

Greg
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2011 at 18:38
I would recommend the Vortex Viper 2-7x32. And right now they are close out for $149!
 That's about the biggest bang for the buck going now!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2011 at 18:40
+1.

For the money, that is the scope to beat.

ILya
gjw View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gjw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2011 at 20:40

Thanks guys!  I appreciate the help.  So....what do you say about a Leupold VX-3 1.75x6 for the kind of hunting I'm talking about?

Thanks again!

Greg
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2011 at 20:56
The VX3 1.75-6 is a great little scope, though it is twice the price as the viper.  The viper with C3 reticle should be fairly quick to aim for those close shots.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2011 at 21:38
what's your budget?
how important is shooting at 200 yards in very, very low light (not sure of your game laws)
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

gjw View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gjw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2011 at 21:42
Hi, my budget is around $450.  We can hunt 1/2 before to 1/2hr after sunrise and set.

Thanks!!

Greg
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2011 at 23:20
If your budget was higher I would suggest a trijicon Accupoint  1-4 with a post as it is very fast.
Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope Red Triangle Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR24R
  • Matte
  • Red Triangle
  • 30mm
$844.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - July/18/2011 at 23:21

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2011 at 05:26
Take a look at the Minox 1.5-8x32.  That covers a pretty good range for you.
ToKeepAndBear View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToKeepAndBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2011 at 08:38
It sounds as if you are more interested in speed of target acquisition than low light gathering ability and resolving power.  Have you considered an Eotech holographic sight?  It is extremely fast to use in up close situations and would excel at jump shots.  It has a 1 moa center dot that should give plenty of precision for standing 200 yard shots, especially if you use shooting sticks (which if you have not I highly recommend trying).  It would also meet your budget.  I also find it to be an excellent turkey sight on my shotgun.  It does not however "gather" any light.

If looking at a variable power scope I would try to get as close to a true 1 power as possible. Urimaginaryfrnd gave a very good suggestion with the Trijicon Accupoint.  An Acog would also be a possibility in one of the lower powers and very fast with the BAC.  The SS 1-4 with the donut reticle would also be pretty sweet as it appears to be very fast, rugged, and has reliable turrets that would probably allow hits out to 800 yards with a good rest, rifle, load, and ballistic chart.  It would also make a fine optic for an AR in the off season.  All of these options, however, are more than your stated budget.

Good luck with your decision.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2011 at 10:24
I have a Vortex Viper 2-7x with the C3 reticle, a Burris Euro 1.5-6x, a Sightron Big Sky 1.25-5x, 2 SWFA SS 1-4x's and a Swaro 1.7-10x.  I am a huge fan of having a fairly low mag on a variable scope as I hunt in thick timber and hardwoods a lot.  The Viper holds its own very well against all those other scopes.  I am not going to say it is better or worse than any of the others as none of them are really an apples to apples comparo.  But it is a dandy little scope and for $150 it is a exceptional value.  The glass is more than serviceable during legal hunting times.  The round circle around the reticle really helps it pop right onto target quickly. 

It seems like they were originally priced around $300.  I think optically they fair quite well with scope in the $300 to $400 price range.   It is right up there with the Leupold VX3 line IMO.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic