OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New SWFA SS 1-4x24 owner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonnieTyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New SWFA SS 1-4x24 owner
    Posted: July/17/2011 at 23:23
I just got the SWFA SS 1-4x24 with the T-reticle, Bobro mount and Switchview lever.  I got the scope on Thursday, mounted it on Friday and shot about 150 rounds with it on Saturday (on top of a LWRC M6A3 with 16"bbl).

The SWFA is THE most expensive optic I've bought to date.  Previous most expensive was my Aimpoint Micro H-1.

According to the specs, the windage and elevation travel is 23 mils.  I got 415 clicks from bottom to top, which is 41.5 mils for both windage and elevation.  Anybody know the reason for the discrepancy?  Has SWFA already upgraded the scope without updating the website info?

I do have a couple of minor gripes.  There is a small black speck on the right side of the cross-hair, which is only visible above 2x magnification.  At first, I thought is was dirt, but after cleaning the lens, it was still there.

Also, I've had the illumination flicker off and on when on the 10 setting.  I increased it to 11 and the flicker went away.  Later on, I went back to 10, and the flicker was gone.

Anybody else have similar issues? 

Assuming no more illumination problems, I can live with the small speck on the cross hair and I won't be sending in the scope for any warranty work.

During dry-fire and live-fire drills, I seemed just as fast with the SWFA at 1x (with illumination) compared to my Aimpoint Micro red dot.  I was really apprehensive about getting the T-reticle instead of the donut because I had read a couple of reviewers that thought the donut was better for up close.

I'm definitely glad that I went with the T-reticle for the group buy.

I was able to do bill drills (6 shots as fast as possible at 7 yards on IPSC target, all A's) at 1.95 to 2.0 sec.  Same performance that I could do with my red dot.

I did the VTAC 1-5 drill in 4.79 sec.  Unfortunately, I had never done that drill with the red dot to get a comparison.  Here's the way to do the VTAC 1-5 drill:
http://www.vikingtactics.com/pop-instr_video10.html

All the shooting was at my local 25 yard indoor range(they allow rapid fireExcellent).  Looking forward to trying out the new scope at the outdoor range for some longer shots (but rapid fire NOT allowedRoll Eyes).

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2011 at 09:11
"Johny Tyler, where you gon'in with that shotgun?"

I have the same scope (donut rather than T-reticle.)  I would ask SWFA about the specs on reticle, they might have a trick or 2 to help get rid of them.

On the illumination, did it flicker only on "10" or also at other settings?  Did it flicker repeatedly or just once?

As for the elevation and windage range, I think they underpromised.  I haven't run my windage all the way out to count clicks, but I have heard others say they got more adjustment than the spec said.  So long as the adjustments are accurate and precise, more range than you expected can only be a good thing!

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - July/19/2011 at 09:44
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2011 at 18:27
Welcome to Optics Talk and grats on a fine optic purchase. 

Ditto all RC said. I would smack the SS on thick phone book or the like and try to dislodge the debris, before I went much further.
I had the same debris issue with a $2000 US Optics SN-3, and that's what the owner of USO (John Williams) told me to do. That didn't resolve my issue however, and that scope went back to USO and the folks there made it right.  
It happens from time to time. 

I too have the donut reticle SS and couldn't be happier. If your not 100% satisfied, give the good folks at SWFA a chance to make you happy. 
JonnieTyler View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonnieTyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2011 at 01:20
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2011 at 09:05
Try a new batt.  When one of mine started to go dead, it flickered on the lower powers but stayed solid on 11. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
JonnieTyler View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonnieTyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2011 at 10:07
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Try a new batt.  When one of mine started to go dead, it flickered on the lower powers but stayed solid on 11. 

Recoil induced flicker happened on a fresh battery; fresh enough battery that it caused a slight bloom on "11".
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2011 at 10:11
Okay. one other idea, try checking the battery posts and spring that press against the battery to hold it in place.  Another user had to bend his out a bit to get it to work just right.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic