OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Diavari vs Z3 3-9x36

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diavari vs Z3 3-9x36
    Posted: July/17/2011 at 08:50
Any opinions on the comparison of a Zeiss Diavari C 3-9x36 MC vs a Swarovski Z3 3-9x36? Which would you buy if choosing between used Zeiss vs new Swaro, same price?
Thanks
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2011 at 10:16
The Swaro has hands down better glass, I had a the same Zeiss in question and while its definitely serviceable, it is no better than the any of the new scopes in the $400-$500 range. 
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
ptalar View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptalar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2011 at 11:05
The Zeiss Diavari is comparable to the Swaro Z6 series of scopes.  Some Diavari's have the FL (fluoride crystal lens).  These are very clear.  Swaro has the Swarovision lenses that have Fluoride crystals.  In the Z6 series they are called High Definition lenses.  I have a Diavari FL 4-16x50 and I found it to be less expensive in cost than the similar Z6 Swaro.  So I went with the Zeiss Diavari.  
When you talk Swaro Z3 you have to compare to the Zeiss Conquest series of scopes.  To compare apples to apples.  Comparing a Diavari to a Z3 is comparing an apple to an orange.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2011 at 11:15
I believe if it has the MC coating, it is the precursor to the Conquest. This topic has come up around here before.
http://www.opticstalk.com/zeiss-diavaric_topic1917.html
Doug
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2011 at 13:59
Originally posted by ptalar ptalar wrote:

The Zeiss Diavari is comparable to the Swaro Z6 series of scopes.  Some Diavari's have the FL (fluoride crystal lens).  These are very clear.  Swaro has the Swarovision lenses that have Fluoride crystals.  In the Z6 series they are called High Definition lenses.  I have a Diavari FL 4-16x50 and I found it to be less expensive in cost than the similar Z6 Swaro.  So I went with the Zeiss Diavari.  
When you talk Swaro Z3 you have to compare to the Zeiss Conquest series of scopes.  To compare apples to apples.  Comparing a Diavari to a Z3 is comparing an apple to an orange.

Zeiss Diavari comparable to the z6 - true optically with some differences in coatings and features between the two.

Only the higher mag z6's have HD lenses

The Diavari FL 4-16x50 is actually more expensive than the z6 2-15x44 and 2-15x56 (check SWFA pricing).

I could be wrong but the z3 is probably apples to apples comparable to the Zeiss Diavari MC (made in USA).
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2011 at 15:15
Doug
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2011 at 15:59
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

If the MC is similar to Conquest, a search here found many comments regarding Z3 comparisons.
http://www.opticstalk.com/swarovski-z3-vs-zeiss-conquest_topic27313_page3.html
http://www.opticstalk.com/swarovski-z3-verse-zeiss-conquest_topic21962_page2.html

Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
ptalar View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptalar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2011 at 20:02
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Zeiss Diavari comparable to the z6 - true optically with some differences in coatings and features between the two.

The Diavari FL 4-16x50 is actually more expensive than the z6 2-15x44 and 2-15x56 (check SWFA pricing).

I could be wrong but the z3 is probably apples to apples comparable to the Zeiss Diavari MC (made in USA).

I have the illuminated version of the Zeiss, and SWFA lists it for $2699.  This is about $300 cheaper than the list prices for Swaros in the SWFA Swaro listings.  I paid $2300 new for my Zeiss. 

I agree that Swaro only offers the HD lenses on a selective basis.  Hard to find scopes with them.  I was originally looking for a Swaro but picked the Zeiss based on cost. 

I misread the initial post.  I did not realize that Zeiss had a Diavari that was lower in the product line.  The Diavari MC appears to be similar to a conquest scope like you said.
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2011 at 20:20
Sometimes we have good info already available from posters here. Sometimes we get to learn stuff we have never heard. Anyway, all is good. You obviously know good optics.

Doug
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2011 at 22:51

Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

I have the illuminated version of the Zeiss, and SWFA lists it for $2699.  This is about $300 cheaper than the list prices for Swaros in the SWFA Swaro listings.  I paid $2300 new for my Zeiss. 

I agree that Swaro only offers the HD lenses on a selective basis.  Hard to find scopes with them.  I was originally looking for a Swaro but picked the Zeiss based on cost. 

I misread the initial post.  I did not realize that Zeiss had a Diavari that was lower in the product line.  The Diavari MC appears to be similar to a conquest scope like you said.

Ahhh, you didn't mention illumination. Based on SWFA pricing, for $100.00 more the Swaro z6i with 44mm objective gives you the best illumination for a hunting scope on the market. If you go to the Swaro z6i, with super sized 56mm bell, yes it's $300.00 more.  Big Smile

http://swfa.com/Zeiss-4-16x50-Victory-Diavari-FL-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P45596.aspx

http://swfa.com/Swarovski-25-15x44-Z6i-30mm-Riflescope-P12566.aspx
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2011 at 22:55

It doesn't seem a used Diavari C for the price of a new z3 would be a very good deal.  I might be remembering things incorrectly, but a local pawn shop had a used 3-9 Diavari C marked for around $400 not too long ago.

Maybe someone else has an accurate idea of how much they go for on the used market.
-Matt
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2011 at 10:08
Matt, $400.00 is about right for the MC, unless you find a zeiss collector who's willing to pay more.  I'd rather have a new conquest than the 10+ year old MC.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic