OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

help selecting scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jray57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help selecting scope
    Posted: July/16/2011 at 06:41
Leupold 8.5-25x50 VX-3 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66600
  • Matte
  • Fine Duplex
  • 30mm
  • Long Range
  • Target Knobs
  • Side Focus
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System

Zeiss 6.5-20x50 Conquest Rifle Scope

Stock # - ZEI5214519920

• Matte
  • Z-Plex
  • 1"
  • Side Focus
  • Hunting Turrets
  • Etched Glass
  • 2nd Plane

Would some of you who are more versed in optics than me compare these two scopes? Looking for something in this power/price range for my 6XC varmit that is used for hunting/paper out to 300 yds or so. Suggestions for other comparable scopes/models welcome also. Mostly interested in clear quality glass. Thanks in advance

jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2011 at 07:27
Welcome to the OT, jray. I assume, given the chambering, by hunting you mean varminting. Otherwise, if you wanted to use it for deer as well the magnification range may be too high, especially on the low end. Even with the 6.5X on the Zeiss. I'd go with the Zeiss. 20X is more than enough with good glass to take a flat-shooting cartridge like that out to 300 and hit a target less than 2" across.

Edited by jonoMT - July/16/2011 at 07:28
Reaction time is a factor...
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2011 at 12:44
You really are not comparing apples to apples because the scopes are different powers.
I have an 8.5-25x50 Leu Mk4 and 8.5 is too high on the low end.   To be useful hand held without a rest you are better off around 6x .  The Leu has a 30 mm tube so more internal adjustment. The Zeiss has better glass.  If your varmit hunting includes night hunts or coyotes etc in low light I like the Trijicon Accupoint 5-20x50 and the Super Sniper 5-20x50 HD which is more money but a rock solid scope with great glass.  Also worth consideration is Sightron's S3 line of scopes.  I'm not sure what your tollerance is for price but the absolute  best is the Heinsoldt ( a Zeiss tactical) and I really like the U.S. Optics SN3 scopes, hard to beat the power range and the EREK knob. 
US Optics 3.8-22x44 SN-3 35mm Riflescope US Optics 3.8-22x44 SN-3 35mm Riflescope
Stock # - USOSN3C
  • Matte Black Type III hard Anodizing
  • Illuminated Mil-Scale GAP Reticle
  • 35mm
  • Low Profile - Rapid Focus Eyepiece
  • 11 Pos Rheostat (Red) Illumination
  • EREK 1/10 MIL Elevation Knob
  • US#3 M40 Style 1/10 MIL Windage Knob
  • ERGO Parallax Control
$2,924.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Uruguayo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uruguayo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2011 at 22:13
I'd go with a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2011 at 18:13
For a high magnification scope in your price range (sub-$1k), I typically suggest Sightron S3 6-24x50 and it is likely a good choice for your needs as well:
http://swfa.com/Sightron-6-24x50-SIII-30mm-Riflescope-P48418.aspx

Another worthwhile option would be Minox ZA-5 4-20x50.  4x on the low end gives you a little more versatility:

ILya
jray57 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jray57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2011 at 11:53
 Thanks for the comments. While the US Optics is a little out of my price range I did look at the SIIIs. Just didn't like the reticle selection. Wanted a duplex or crosshair. Will check out the Minox though.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2011 at 17:49
Originally posted by jray57 jray57 wrote:

Thanks for the comments. While the US Optics is a little out of my price range I did look at the SIIIs. Just didn't like the reticle selection. Wanted a duplex or crosshair. Will check out the Minox though.

There is a dot reticle available in the 6-24x50 S3.  Don't know if it close enough to a crosshair for you.

ILya
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2011 at 19:20
I have one of these I like well enough to have ordered a second one:
SWFA SS 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope SWFA SS 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SSHD520X50MQ
  • First Focal Plane Illuminated Mil-Quad
  • 30mm
  • HD Model
  • Locking Ocular Adjustment
  • 0.1 Mrad Elevation & Windage
  • 10 Mils Per Revolution
  • 30 Mils Of Total Travel
  • Side Focus
$1,499.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - July/20/2011 at 19:21

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic