OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

IOR Valdada

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IOR Valdada
    Posted: July/15/2011 at 02:19
I am curious what anyone can tell me about IOR Tactical scopes. i.e. Rugedness, Accuracy of adjustments and warranties. Just basic general information.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2011 at 09:21
I have had 8 of them over the last few years.  Decent scopes all around.  Glass is very good, my adjustments were always right on.  The newer models with digital illumination are suppose to be excellent.  The old illumination sucked balls.  I really like the reticle they put in them. 

Some people had really bad luck with CS.  I used it 4 times and it was always very good for me.  I only have 1 now and it is not even on a gun currently.  I prefer the SWFA SS line over IOR by a big margin.

What scope are you looking at? 

If it is one of the higher powered scopes, I would get the SS 5-20x over an IOR any day.  It smokes the IOR scope IMO.  The SS 1-4x is better than the IOR 1-4x as well.  If you are looking at the mid range scopes the SS 3-9x beats the 2.5-10x in every regard except illumination.  The best part is the SS scopes are a lot less expensive and you are getting more for your money.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
tkuffler View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2011 at 14:00
I keep bouncing between the Vortex Viper PST and the IOR Tactical 4-16 X 50.  I am probably gonna go with the Viper but I don't like the fact that I am going to have to wait two months for it.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2011 at 14:07
You mean the 4-14x IOR right?  Or do they have a new I do not know about?

The IOR will be a much better scope than the Viper IMO.  And it should be because of the cost increase.  Viper glass is not like IOR glass. 

The downside to the IOR is the reticle and adjustments do not match up.  Reticle is in Mils, adjustments in 1/4 MOA.

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2011 at 14:15
Ran into an acquaintance of mine at the range yesterday. He has two IORs - a 6X and a 4X. The 6X he swears by and has never had any problems. The 4X is on its second return to IOR Valdada. This time because the ocular ring is stripped. I've looked through both at other times and the glass is fantastic. They just seem to be hit or miss on reliability though.
Reaction time is a factor...
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2011 at 14:18
Which 4x does he have?  The hunting or tactical?  You don't hear about to many problems with the fixed IOR scopes.  

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2011 at 18:28
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Which 4x does he have?  The hunting or tactical?  You don't hear about to many problems with the fixed IOR scopes.  

I have seen the rubber ring on the eyepiece come off on a couple of fixed power hunting scopes.  Honestly, I just put a couple of drops of crazy glue on them and stuck them back on.  IOR's fixed power scopes have been absolutely rock solid in my experience and I have had my hands on at least a dozen of them.  Maybe more.

As far as 4-16x50 goes, IOR announced a new model during SHOT: 4-16x50FFP on a 30mm tube.

ILya
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2011 at 18:57
Both of his are hunting scopes. Sounds like the 4X was just made on a Monday...probably the same in Romania as anywhere else. Like I said, he swears by the 6X. I really liked the glass. But I still feel a bit leery when it comes to the brand overall.
tkuffler View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2011 at 00:11
Supertool Your right it is the 4-14 X 50 I talked to Valdada on the phone today and I didn't like the vibe I got from the guy I spoke with.  The reliability issues are huge with me because I will be deploying this rifle at work if the need arrises.  I am just trying to get the most bang for the buck. No pun intended.  The other problem I have is I work for a very small agency that does not provide my rifle or glass so budget is an issue. I have been shopping for six months and still am heving trouble coming to a decision. I have looked at everything and I have come down to The IOR if I can get a good price. A VX 3 LR or the Viper PST.
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2011 at 05:15
Welcome to the OT!

If budget is an issue try checking out the SWFA sample list,you can get some tremendous deals at very reasonable prices.I have purchased at least 4 scopes off the list & have never been disappointed.Great CS & a very liberal return policy.

Hey wait a second, I ment Republican return policy Wink
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2011 at 14:35
torisdad View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2011 at 23:15
Originally posted by tkuffler tkuffler wrote:

I keep bouncing between the Vortex Viper PST and the IOR Tactical 4-16 X 50.  I am probably gonna go with the Viper but I don't like the fact that I am going to have to wait two months for it.
Just some food for thought. Have you considered the Weaver 3-15x50 FFP MIL,MIL EMDR reticle?
I just purchased one and did a review on it in the reviews forum. It's illuminated as well. The glass is great and the tracking is top notch.

You can check out the reviews on this scope on sniperhide also. Many positive reviews. I saw one somewhere and the guy reviewed the Weaver and got rid of his Viper PST 4-16x50. Not to mention the $740 street price.

Andrew
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2011 at 13:45
If reliability is key for a good price, I would get one of these two.  http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-9x42-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P50716.aspx  http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-5-20x50-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P50662.aspx

They are better than any IOR in my book. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic