OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > The Range Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

1st time at range with SS 5-20

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1st time at range with SS 5-20
    Posted: July/14/2011 at 17:40
Took me just 2 rounds to zero prone @ 100 after boresighting off my neighbor's garage roof peak. Easiest scope in that regard that I've used, including the PH 3-15X50. Eye relief is great. So I took my other 8 rounds I had left for this rifle and went over to the 300 yard range. It had rained all morning so I was hoping there would be a nice puddle under the gongs. Here's my little video. I edited it down so you don't have to watch the paint dry, but left misses in there. This is an awesome scope, considering first time out with it and I ran the 300 yards back to the benches after hitting record and started firing 72 seconds later. All shots were taken in under 3 minutes.

Edited by jonoMT - July/14/2011 at 18:06
Reaction time is a factor...
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2011 at 18:31
Sweet! The "know your limitations" gongs are cool. And the effect is multiplied with the water.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2011 at 19:40
I have nothing but good great things to say about this scope. I felt kind of half-a**ed after not being out for a while and not exercising hard for nearly two weeks due to a nasty cold. Maybe I should have put a couple more rounds on the 100 yard target, but I felt confident enough in it to just fire one to get on paper and one to correct. I've gotta get my reloading equipment set up again so I can get some more rounds loaded up and spend more time with this baby.

Edited by jonoMT - July/14/2011 at 22:10
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2011 at 20:11
The problem I have with exercising is finding somebody big enough to chase me...Bucky
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2011 at 20:18
Nice Jon.  And a grazed 2" gong is a hit in my book.

Excellent
-Matt
torisdad View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2011 at 21:57
Jon,

Thanks for sharing with us. Nice shootin Tex...  Love to see more next time you go out.

Andrew
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2011 at 22:27
That looks like a hoot, good to hear about the fast zero, great shooting all things considered.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2011 at 22:28
Nice shooting Jon.  Good video.

Edited by helo18 - July/14/2011 at 23:03
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2011 at 22:31
Check out the slo-mo version:

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2011 at 08:41
ExcellentExcellentgood shooting and cool video
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2011 at 11:14
What rifle were you using? That's cool, hitting a 2" plate at 300yds.

Was that you filming in the pits in one of the other vids?
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2011 at 14:23
I had the .308 5R out, shooting 165 gr. Accubonds. I set up my camera about 20 feet away on a tripod, then zoomed in a little...didn't want to get it wet. What I found surprising was that the camera audio doesn't really pick up the thunk of hitting the gongs. At least back 300 yards from them the sound reverberates pretty good.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2011 at 17:21
Super slo-mo video:

stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2011 at 21:49
Nice shooting Jon,I have the same set up with a 5R.Agreed, the SS was zeroed in 3 shots out @ a 100.I love the diamond shape mils.Looking forward to the cat tail.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic