OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Computer Help needed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2011 at 16:46
If all else fails, keep blowing the AGP slot and hit the FU2 key repeatedly. Eventually it will come around. Big Smile
Reaction time is a factor...
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2011 at 19:37
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

If all else fails, keep blowing the AGP slot and hit the FU2 key repeatedly. Eventually it will come around. Big Smile
Thats the Spirit!
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2011 at 19:56
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

Thats the Spirit!

Oh Yea Baby
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2011 at 20:08
well that didn't work.  now to see if i can find a graphics card to try from someone before actually paying for one.

question ST or mike or anyone else in the know. is it simple plug in the new graphics card and whala it works or do i have to load it somehow first?
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2011 at 20:15
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

If you want to turn the blue plug on, you need to take the MX440 out and turn on the on board video in the BIOS.  How you enter the BIOS is from a keystroke on the first screen when your computer turns on.  Sometimes they call it setup or BIOS.  Alot of times it is the F2 key.  It should tell you on the very first screen on the power up.  Then you just have to go through all the menus until you find the onboard video.  BIOS's are all different dependent upon the motherboard manufacturer.  So I cannot tell you exactly where it is.  You don't want to mess stuff up in your BIOS though or it can affect your comp.  But if you do, you can always just set it back to default if needs be.

so if I unplug my mx440 and plug my screen back into the analog could I even see anything to be able to go through the setup?

i'll just try it and find out.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2011 at 20:34
well that worked... kinda.  All i did was take the mx440 or whatever out and plug into my analog (blue) port and i have all my color back, downside is now everything is really BIG!  (norm?)
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2011 at 21:01
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

well that worked... kinda.  All i did was take the mx440 or whatever out and plug into my analog (blue) port and i have all my color back, downside is now everything is really BIG!  (norm?)

right click anywhere on the desktop>properties>settings - adjust the screen resolution (more). Play with the adjustment until it looks good to you.  Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2011 at 21:32
can't only one option, the one I am on.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2011 at 09:08
The drivers for that on board video are probably not loaded on to you comp.  So it is just using some windows default to make it work.  If you can find out what on board video your mother board has you could probably find the driver online.  See if you can find the brand and model of your mother board. 

What kind of computer is it?  What model?

For your other question, if you get a new one you will also need to download the driver and install it.  If you buy a new card it will come with a driver disk, but I would still recommend getting the new one from either the Nvidia or ATI website as the ones on the disks are usually a version or two old.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2011 at 09:31

Its a dell from 2003... who would I find teh brand and model of the mother board?

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2011 at 09:36
If it is a dell, there should be a number on the back of the case.  Service tag number or something.  You should be able to use that number, get on the dell website and download the video card driver you need.  WIth that number, you should be able to see the exact specs of your comp with all the parts and drivers listed.  It should be pretty slick for you to get what you need.

Since it is a dell, it will have a proprietary mother board made just for them, so through Dell will be the only way to get the on board video driver.

Edited by supertool73 - July/13/2011 at 09:37
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2011 at 09:38
Ok I will see what I can find today at lunch and call dell with it.  I may even have my original disk that come with the computer. That should have the driver on it.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2011 at 09:45
Yes it should, but chances are they have had a newer version come out and posted it on their website.  I would try for that one as it is always best to use the newest version available.

Dell will probably not even talk to you with a computer that old.  They will jsut tell you to find the stuff on their website.

Just enter the service tag number here and it should give you all your stuff.  http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2011 at 21:48
All is working now.  Finally!
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2011 at 21:48
Thanks ST.  Thanks Mike, Thanks to all who helped
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2011 at 21:49
NOw someone explain how to make the darn thing not log into the admin everytime the computer is powered on... better yet how to delete the darn admin account being i have a seperate windows account and am the admin!

PS i have already gone to the user profiles in my login and the admin isnt there when i go to delete it!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2011 at 22:20
I told you it was hyperpathelogical disassociation of electrons...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2011 at 09:38
That's weird, the only time it should boot to the admin account is in safe mode.  You don't want to delete the admin account as it is there in case you have problems and need to boot in safe mode.  If you regular user accounts get a virus or get corrupted then you would have to do a reformat as you would not be able to use safe mode to fix the problem.

Have you put any new software on lately that may have forced your OS to do this?  Some tuneup utilities will do this. 

Go to "start" then "run" type in "msconfig" without the quotes.  Look under the general and boot tabs.  Under general "normal startup" should be selected.  Under boot, nothing should be selected. 

It almost sounds like it is booting to safe mode or a diagnostic mode or something.  Anyway, try that and see if any of those things are on the wrong setting.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2011 at 09:41
Thanks ST I will try that this afternoon!
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2011 at 11:49

Some notes and observations:

I'm guessing that this was not your PC originally?

It kind of sounds like the OS has been reinstalled or original Dell video driver(s) possibly removed when the external video card was installed.

Like ST said, never delete the admin account but you should have a password on it.

You can setup the admin account (along with the other user accounts) to show up after the splash screen. Sounds like someone did this.

You can download "TweakUI" (Powertoys for Windows XP). It maybe already installed.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/windows-xp

Fire your PC person (just kidding).  Big Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic