OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

ballistic calculators

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ballistic calculators
    Posted: July/11/2011 at 15:24
I have been using online free ballistic caculators for about a year now. For the past while i been using JBM, I like it. Anyway i tried the G7s, I was doing range cards for my 22. I didnt mess around with other loads. But, I did notice that the G7s elevation drop was different from the JBm. I went back and checked it several times. made sure hte all the info, bullet, twist, temp, pressure. zero, matched up. Overall the average was about 1minute difference between the two. Now for my rifle the jbm was the wone that matched.
Im just wondering why the difference is since they should both be base on physics.
What is the theory program  you all use that you find to be the most consistantly accurate to reality?
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2011 at 16:53
the difference between the G1 BC and G7 BC. most companies use G1

http://www.vortexoptics.com/content/lrbc

you have to sign up, but it's a real good "free" ballistic calc
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2011 at 17:26
Generally data plotted from doppler readings provide the real time input to computer curve fitting programs. This diminishes the need for inputs based on bc or drag functions. Other constants can be derived from this. Sierra infinity and JBM use linear coupled differential equations in numerical solvers, (generally Runga-Kutta 4th order) and iterate the output. There are different model types, some based on pt. of mass, some based on observation. An error factor will occur each time the formulas are calculated and these errors accumulate, accounting for some of your observation. Some models attribute more weight to the input variables than others.
While most outputs vary, the ability of the shooter/load/gun combo isn't tight enough to show the difference. In any case the drops as you stated is just physics, but reading the most important one, wind drift, is magic.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2011 at 17:32
Yea i was using g1 on both. I was using hte g7 cal but using g1 bC
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2011 at 19:33
I use the shooter app on my Droid. I use G7. So far with 3 rifles it has been dead on. It has a link to sync with the maps on the phone to get,most of the correct data. It was on at 1200 yards saturday. I had 3 first round hits .415 ' 750 and 1200.,its pretty simple to use.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2011 at 20:15
JBM can be a bit confusing, but it is the gold standard. I'd stick with it when you have a desktop machine or laptop available. For .22 rimfire you need to use the RA4 drag model, not G1 or G7.
Reaction time is a factor...
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2011 at 22:16
Brian Litz recommends Shooter and I believe it uses most of the same equations as JBM.  They are very similar.  I've compared them extensively and find them quite close.  Their accuracy depends upon input data.  It's best if you use chrono data.  
Obviously, the best BC data you can get would be from Weibel RADAR, but not everyone can afford that.   
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2011 at 22:49
JBM has worked well for me.

Another factor is chronograph error. 
-Matt
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2011 at 05:35
Yea i dont have a smart phone. I'm  to cheap to be on a phone plan. HAHAHA

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2011 at 05:42
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

JBM can be a bit confusing, but it is the gold standard. I'd stick with it when you have a desktop machine or laptop available. For .22 rimfire you need to use the RA4 drag model, not G1 or G7.

What is the RA4 model. And how would i get  a bC for  a wolf 22 target match.

jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2011 at 08:53
yeah the G7 BC is a mil spec (i think) and is used with G7 calcs. G1 is the industry standard and used with G1 calcs. you can google, "G7 BC, and you will find a BC comparison that aberdeen proving grounds did.

i've found that if you dont chrony then your drop estimation wont be accurate, the 2 biggest factors with bullet decent is velocity and BC.

then again i'm wrong a lot
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2011 at 09:51
stork23raz, you'll probably have a hard time finding a BC. Basically, I've just made sure everything else was as precise as could be (pressure, mv, etc) and then alternated between 100, 200 and 300 yards at the range while changing the BC number. If you limit to one variable at a time, eventually anything can be determined empirically.

jjrgr21, the G7 drag model is not really a mil spec although there are certainly military bullets that fit it. G7 is for boat tails while G1 is for flat-based bullets. In practice, you won't see much difference in drops with most bullets out to about 600 yards using either model. It is just important to know whether the BC you're using is G1 or G7. However, if possible, use the most accurate combination of model and BC. If you can get Bryan Litz' G7 BC for one of the boat tails he has tested, for example, you can pretty much take it as gospel. I trust his figures over manufacturers (except Berger, which he did).
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2011 at 10:57
Here's a post on the 'Hide with a few referenced BCs:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1569040

Another: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57007

However I think all these are G1. Try one that way or try it with the RA4 model. Basically, keep in mind that .22 rimfire BCs are very low and the bullets go trans-sonic, then sub-sonic very quickly. This is because the BCs are low and the MV is generally 1300 fps or less. So you've got a bullet which stability is going to be affected very quickly and a lot of drop. Maybe 338LAPUASLAP will chime in. He does a lot of rimfire out to distances most of us won't even consider.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2011 at 11:31

WEll I shoot wolf target match. its supposed to have a muzzle velocity of 1050.  So it should be about 50-100 fps below the sound barrier.  Yea i tried the other. As soon as it goes subsonic. accuracy goes out the window.

jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2011 at 11:57
thanks for the correction
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2011 at 21:22

If something like a standard velocity is still giving you good groups at 100 yds (gone sub by that time) its immaterial if its supersonic at the barrel. CCI and some others can give outstanding accuracy at 100 yds, negating the need for subsonic altogethr. Most of JBM calculation will substitue the correct bc for 22 when you run the program. Time of flight is more important, outside forces have more time to act, such as wind drift.. Slow bullets with small bc, show small er diffferential rate of changes  when compared to the same percentage change of medium velocity and bc about .3, which means its really doubtful your 22 rifle/scope groups will show the difference. bc's change with velocity.

I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic