OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kahles Helia S2 elevation clicks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yotimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kahles Helia S2 elevation clicks
    Posted: July/08/2011 at 11:48
Anyone have any idea what the normal number of elevation clicks an older Kahles Helia 39 S2 should have?
I have one mounted on my Ruger M77 in a set of Leupold QR mounts and rings (26mm) and have run out of elevation clicks and I'm still 2" low at 25 yards. By my count, my scope has 232 clicks available. Even though I've started at the middle of the range, I still run out of clicks. If my number of clicks is within the normal range for this scope, I'm hoping all I'll have to do is shim the rear mount. I would definitely like to avoid having to ship it back to Austria.
Gerry Atric View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2011 at 12:46
Have this old manual:

But it doesn´t specify the total clicks at hand, only that each click is 9 mm.
There´s usually an ample amount of travel in these old scopes, maybe you could switch rings, bases or both "front to back" it might do the trick.

Gerry Atric

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2011 at 14:40
You could contact info@kahles.at they should be able to inform you about total elevation.

Gerry Atric
Yotimbo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yotimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2011 at 10:09
Thanks for the link. I knew it wasn't a lightweight, but was surprised to see it weighed 465 grams!
I popped off the rings and measured the bases with my caliper and unfortunately they're the same height. That would have been too easy!
I contacted Swarovski support, but they don't have any specs for older Kahles. Sent off an email to Kahles, but in the meantime I'll try shimming the rear base. I see SWFA has a Leupold shim at 0.012" thickness, so I'll start there. Thanks again. Big Grin
Yotimbo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yotimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2011 at 00:06
Just wanted to report on a resolution to my elevation problem. Installed a 0.012" shim beneath the rear base which gave me plenty of room to work with. The following is a picture from today's 25 yard range session. Shot #1 is at the optical center of the scope's elevation range at 116 clicks. Shot #2 is plus 40 clicks up. Shots #3 & 4 are plus 25 more clicks. And shots #5 & 6 are plus 10 more clicks. Then went out to 100 yards and the first shot was 4" high at about 1 o'clock. I then subtracted 16 clicks from the elevation and we were where we wanted to be. I took 5 more shots, but couldn't get any kind of grouping (probably due to the cheap military M2 ball ammo [Lake City] I was using). All the shots stayed on the 6" target though, so I'm pretty confident that with premium ammunition I'll get it dialed in fine.

Thanks to Leupold for sending me some shims free of charge and to Kahles for quickly answering my questions about a 45 year old scope! Also thanks to OpticsTalk for hosting a site like this that helped make it all happen.

Here's a picture of H.H. (Herr Helia) back on top of Mr. 77 ready to go!

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2011 at 01:40

A happy ending ! Congratulations  Excellent

Gerry Atric
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic