OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

optic problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marine sam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: optic problems
    Posted: July/08/2011 at 08:40

I have recently bought a sako trg-42 in .338 lapua magnum and i cant decide on the scope i should buy for it. i have the money for a premeir heritage 5-25 x56 mm tactical but i dont know what base i should buy for it. i like the picatinny rail system but im not sure. if there is a better optic base system for this weapon.

jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2011 at 12:58
I take it your version doesn't have the integral rail. You could consider something like a Near Alpha mount for the TRG-42. However, that won't allow mounting of any accessories, such as a angle indicator or level (although there are some that mount on the scope). I've used Seekins with great results. There are other picatinny rail/ring brands too that will work well. Just don't go with a dual-base mount. Alignment can be a problem with those.
Reaction time is a factor...
marine sam View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marine sam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2011 at 13:23
no it doesnt have the rail. although a buddy of mine said you could buy the rail and put it on. but i looked and i couldnt find anything except the accesory rail for like pvs night scopes but thats not the right scope im trying to put on it. i am keen on the MIL dot reticle, love the ability for the hold offs n range estimation.

what other scope would you recommend besides a heritage? i keep hearing they are over priced and you could get say a nf and have same quality. im browsing around on internet but im not sure whats bs about some of the stuff im reading.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2011 at 13:26
The SS 5-20x would be a fantastic scope for your 338.

It will be 90%+ of the Premier for half the cost.  http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-5-20x50-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P50662.aspx
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
marine sam View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marine sam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2011 at 13:31
that is an interesting scope. im going to look more into that one. thanks you
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2011 at 14:23
There are a some big reviews of it on Snipers Hide.  You can probably find a few here as well.  I have one and all in all it is the nicest scope I have ever used, period.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2011 at 16:57
Considering what you've owned, that is high praise.  Big Smile
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2011 at 23:12
Premier makes a great scope but not everybody needs one...or even the Heritage. I know you mentioned 5-25 but you might also consider their 3-15 LT model, which is considerably less than the Heritages. I really like my NF 2.5-10X32 but I'd also recommend the SS 5-20 over anything NF has out currently. Mine just came a couple weeks ago and it is one awesome scope. With my Premier Heritage 3-15, while it has some great features, I don't need every one of them and paying that much can make you worry about babying the scope when you should be focused on other things.

USO and S&B are other worthwhile additions to a rifle like that. I'd look at the 3.2-17 in USO or the S&B 3-20 (if available).
Reaction time is a factor...
ToKeepAndBear View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToKeepAndBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2011 at 08:17
It sounds like you are asking two questions.  What scope and what rail/mount?

Sako makes an awesome 3 ring mount that eliminates the need for a separate base.  I have it on my TRG-22 and it is very sturdy and is supposed to maintain zero if removed and remounted.  It also comes with inserts that minimize the risk of damaging your scope.  It comes with 30 moa angle.  It is somewhat expensive, $450 or about 70 rounds of factory .338 lapua ammunition!. For a quality base and rings you will get pretty close to that number.  Can sometimes be found used for quite a bit cheaper. This is what I would and did get.

Spuhr also makes a nice mount that eliminates the need for a separate rail.  It also allows mounting a red dot if that is something your interested in doing, about the same price.

Many people seem to like the Near base and Alpha mount.  Sako and other manufacturers also sell picatinny rails and then you can use whatever rings you like.

What scope is much more difficult to answer.  What is your intended purpose hunting or target?  FFP or SFP reticle?  How much are you wanting to spend.  Like all things, you get what you pay for in optics.  I assume you are wanting to shoot at long range if you bought a 338 lapua.  A durable scope with quality internals and reliable tracking is the most important feature.  After that you pay for quality of optics, features, and reticle.  I would get a Schmidt and Bender 5-25x56 with your reticle of choice if money is not a concern.  If you plan on doing some hunting, I would probably get a Hensoldt 4-16x56 with a NH1 reticle.  I have this scope on my .260 Remington TRG-22 and it is very nice!  In fact if your shooting is primarily going to be 1500 yards and less, the Hensoldt 4-16 would probably be my top choice.  Very easy scope to get behind.  No zero stop if that matters to you. Longer than 1500 yards and the S&B 5-25 shines as far as mag and available elevation.

If you want to spend less, then Nightforce certainly makes some nice scopes.  Leupold makes some in the 1500-2000 dollar price range that are FFP.  The Super Sniper 5-20 certainly looks good for the money and initial feedback is very good.  That particular scope is new, however, so somewhat unproven. SWFA has great customer service/reputation if there is a problem.  I have one of their SS10x42 scopes on another rifle and it is great for the money.  I have never had a problem with it.  I may get the SS 1-4 for an AR rifle, as it also is supposed to be an excellent value.

If you plan on shooting at extremely long range, like 2000 Yards, then you need to carefully look at available elevation, research how much moa for the rail to get you there, especially if you want a 100 yard zero.  

Good luck and nice choice on the rifle!  
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToKeepAndBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2011 at 08:28

Here is a video I put together of my TRG-22 with the Sako 3 ring mount and a Hensoldt 4-16x56 with the NH1 reticle.  It also has some shooting at 550 and 960 yards that shows good bullet trace.  I would love to video the bullet trace and impact of the .338 lapua!

http://vimeo.com/24227428

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToKeepAndBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2011 at 08:33
Oops!  Doesn't automatically hyperlink.  Maybe this will help.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2011 at 09:30
Nice video, ToKeepAndBear.  Welcome to the OT.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2011 at 15:02
I  like the Heinsold 4-16x56 you have on there. Nice

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2011 at 17:15
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

+1
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToKeepAndBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2011 at 20:51
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

and
Originally posted by Kickboxer

Thanks for the comments.  I am glad you liked the video and scope.  I hope you get the chance to check out a Hensoldt some time in person.  Some scopes at higher magnification are distracting to my shooting experience due to difficulties of acquiring and maintaining a sight picture.  Because of this I end up shooting at lower power with some other scopes.  The Hensoldt just disappears and lets me forget about the scope and enjoy the shooting, even at 16 power.  The image is also really nice!
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2011 at 09:01
Have a 22 and 42 trg and you should consider Sakos extended clamp on rail. it also gives about 1/2 in increase in ht, and  is extended on one end, which allows more latitude inmounting  the scope back of the bolt toward the shooter. I use this with a set of american rifle rings, a better set up than the sako three ring. There is also an after marker adjustable cheek riser that fits under neath the cheek rest, that works very well. I think atlas has finally released there adaptor for using their bipods on sako, you might want to check into.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2011 at 07:40
Originally posted by ToKeepAndBear ToKeepAndBear wrote:

Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

and
Originally posted by Kickboxer

Thanks for the comments.  I am glad you liked the video and scope.  I hope you get the chance to check out a Hensoldt some time in person.  Some scopes at higher magnification are distracting to my shooting experience due to difficulties of acquiring and maintaining a sight picture.  Because of this I end up shooting at lower power with some other scopes.  The Hensoldt just disappears and lets me forget about the scope and enjoy the shooting, even at 16 power.  The image is also really nice!
I have the ZF6-24x72 Hensoldt on my custom .338 Lapua.  Love it. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2011 at 07:48
Yeah your wife bought it for you.......we know
Rude Robert View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rude Robert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2011 at 23:00
Don't take this wrong, must be nice to buy a scope that most people spend on their cars!  Lol  nice video, I like your set up for sure. Don't know anything about scopes or rifles, but I know what I like when I see it  Big Smile
vgmhunor View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vgmhunor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2011 at 11:43
That backdrop, obscured by tall trees and bushes would make me feel uneasy?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic