OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Firefly reticle info, please?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRCampos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Firefly reticle info, please?
    Posted: January/16/2006 at 16:33

I am thinking on buying a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40mm with the Firefly reticle.

But I have a concern: on the photos I see until today, it appears there is a dot on the reticle center and not the usual crosshair of the duplex reticle.  Am I right?

Also, does anyone know the size at the target of the reticle center?

I would not like to buy the scope and find that the reticle center is a dot that would obstruct the target view when doing accuracy tests...

I would apreciate any help on Firefly reticle as I want to use it on wild hogs and javelina hunts at night.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2006 at 16:42
I think what you are seeing is where the luminescent material on the reticle stops. The reticle has a three tier step down from edge to center. The FireFly material is applied to the outer two sections and not the fine center section. In daylight or lowlight the reticle will appear as any other reticle will appear. Does this answer your question? I would think that for your hunting application it would be perfect. I have three FireFly reticles in 4200 Elites and love all the Elites I own.
LRCampos View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRCampos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2006 at 17:38

Thanks Roy,

As I understood, only the thick lines are iluminated, not the center of the crosshairs, is it right?

So, what we see at Firefly advertise photos is not the reality, as it shows the reticle all iluminated, including the center, is it?   Ermm

In any case, I think dusk or night hunting is not a long range thing.  And yes a short range (say... to 100 yards max, but in my case, it goes around 30 yards).  So, at short ranges, I think the thick part of the reticle will be enough to shot a wild hog or the smaller javelina.

I hope the Elite 3200 I will buy has good optics for night hunting and accuracy tests...  

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2006 at 18:20
The center is not illuminated. I just checked one of my 4200's to be accurate.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic