OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

My turn: scope suggestions?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dboneusc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My turn: scope suggestions?
    Posted: July/06/2011 at 17:00
I'm really enjoying the forum and have definitely learned a lot by reading through posts here.

I'd love to get some suggestions on scopes.  It's for a .270 Win., to be used for whitetail hunting.  200 yards is about the furthest out I normally would shoot (100-150 yards is probably more common).

As it gets to be dusk, my eyes start to lose sharpness fairly quickly; I had LASIK surgery ~10 years ago and it's worn off, leaving me only with the night vision degredation that comes with it.  I always feel like I have difficulty seeing to shoot around 10 min. or so before other hunters I'm with.  So I'm trying to consider scopes that would help in that respect.

From reading reviews here, I'm intrigued by the Accupoint lines (either the 3-9x40 or the 2.5-10x56), as the illuminated recticle seems like it could be helpful.

Any other suggestions in the $600-700 range, and then maybe in the $800-ish range (if you think it buys a significant step up)?

Thanks!
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2011 at 18:25
The Trijicon Accupoints are fine hunting scopes. I use the 3-9 X 40 with green triangle. You also may wish to consider a good, fixed power scope (4X or 6X). The Leupy VX3 6 x 42 is a good choice as is the IOR 4 X 32 or the S&B 4 X 36.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2011 at 18:30
Have you considered something along the lines of 1.5-6x40 or 42?  By the way welcome to the OT, many of knowledgeable suggestions are on the wayBig Smile
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2011 at 18:41
One of the Accupoint scopes is a good option.  If you have vision problems, you should be looking at something with a fairly large objective lens like the 2.5-10x56 (unfortunately, Trijicon does not make anything between 3-9x40 and 2.5-10x56).

In your price range, one of Meopta Meostar scopes should be near the top of your list.  Here are a couple of options:

ILya
dboneusc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dboneusc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2011 at 18:56
Originally posted by bugsNbows bugsNbows wrote:

The Trijicon Accupoints are fine hunting scopes. I use the 3-9 X 40 with green triangle. You also may wish to consider a good, fixed power scope (4X or 6X). The Leupy VX3 6 x 42 is a good choice as is the IOR 4 X 32 or the S&B 4 X 36.

A fixed-power would probably work for 80% of my shooting, although I always talk myself out of it wanting to preserve a little flexibility in case I need the higher power.
dboneusc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dboneusc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2011 at 18:57
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

Have you considered something along the lines of 1.5-6x40 or 42?  By the way welcome to the OT, many of knowledgeable suggestions are on the wayBig Smile

Thanks, I'm definitely looking forward to drinking from the fire hose!  Like I mentioned above, I like knowing I have the option of the higher power, even though I don't often use it.
dboneusc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dboneusc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2011 at 18:59
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

One of the Accupoint scopes is a good option.  If you have vision problems, you should be looking at something with a fairly large objective lens like the 2.5-10x56 (unfortunately, Trijicon does not make anything between 3-9x40 and 2.5-10x56).

In your price range, one of Meopta Meostar scopes should be near the top of your list.  Here are a couple of options:

ILya

My vision actually isn't very bad at all - probably 20/40-ish.  I probably should have mentioned that in the OP.  I just have the night-vision side effect that makes me slightly oversensitive to low-light conditions.

Thanks for the suggestion on the Meopta - I wasn't familiar with them.  I'll try to do a little research.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2011 at 20:59
+1 on a big objective.

I like the 2.5-10X56 Accupoint.
-Matt
dboneusc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dboneusc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2011 at 11:22
Ok - thoughts on the 3 scopes below?

The 56 objective on the Accupoint makes me a little nervous - haven't ever had above a 40.  But I'm definitely not ruling it out, since I mentioned that I feel like my low-light eyesight isn't great (although maybe I'm just going Loco).  How would the 40 objective Accupoint stack up in comparison?

Zeiss 3.5-10x50 Conquest Rifle Scope #4 Zeiss 3.5-10x50 Conquest Rifle Scope
Stock # - ZEI5214859904
  • Matte
  • 1"
  • Etched Glass
  • 2nd Plane
$749.95

Trijicon 2.5-10x56 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope Standard Crosshair w/ Green Dot Trijicon 2.5-10x56 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR221G
  • Matte
  • Standard Crosshair w/ Green Dot
  • 30mm
$870.95

Swarovski 3-10x42 Z3 Riflescope 4A Swarovski 3-10x42 Z3 Riflescope
Stock # - SWA59013
  • Matte
  • 4A
  • 1"
$838.95
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2011 at 16:26
Well, my eyesight sucks and the 40 mm Trijicon Accupoint is just fine for my needs. I totally dislike the 56 mm Trijicon (Hubble-like... it's too big and heavy IMO). I also have three Swaros (2 AV and 1 Z3) and they are very nice.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2011 at 17:35
Koshkin, would a lit reticle help or hurt someone who's night vision is going south? 
Is a bigger objective a better alternative? 

I too had lasik surgery many moons ago and had thought that my night vision was waning. 
Well, several things are starting to show signs of deterioration, but thats for another thread.  Wink 

Welcome to Optics Talk, dbone! 
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2011 at 17:56
Welcome to the OT!

I would stay away from that  Swaro ret.might be to fine.The other two are both great scopes,should do exactly what you want.Another scope to check out is Minox Z5  3-15x50 with Minoplex @ $568.95 on SWFA site.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
dboneusc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dboneusc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2011 at 20:49
Thanks for the continuted warm welcomes!

Ok, revised choices below. 

• Is the Swaro really worth the ~35% premium over the Zeiss Conquest (which has 8mm larger objective)?
  • How does the Accupoint glass compare with the others?
  • Length on these three look about the same, but the Zeiss is a good bit heavier; anybody feel like it's particular hefty?
Thanks for all the continued help/feedback!

Swarovski 3-10x42 Z3 Riflescope Plex Swarovski 3-10x42 Z3 Riflescope
Stock # - SWA59011
  • Matte
  • Plex
  • 1"
$838.95

Trijicon 3-9x40 Accu-Point Rifle Scope Standard Crosshair w/ Green Dot Trijicon 3-9x40 Accu-Point Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR201G
  • Matte
  • Standard Crosshair w/ Green Dot
  • 1"
$764.95

Zeiss 3-9x50 Conquest Rifle Scope Z-Plex Zeiss 3-9x50 Conquest Rifle Scope
Stock # - ZEI5214809920
  • Matte
  • Z-Plex
  • 1"
  • Etched Glass
  • 2nd Plane
$599.95

Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2011 at 22:46
Originally posted by dboneusc dboneusc wrote:

• Is the Swaro really worth the ~35% premium over the Zeiss Conquest (which has 8mm larger objective)?
  • Length on these three look about the same, but the Zeiss is a good bit heavier; anybody feel like it's particular hefty?
Howdy dboneusc and welcome to the OT forum.

Is the Swarovski worth the increased price?
That's subjective, of course, but the Swarovski line has arguably the finest hunting glass you will encounter. They excel in low-light conditions and are obviously brighter than Conquests (and almost everything else) in side-side comparisons.
Here are a couple of models that no one else listed and which would fit closer to your price range- the duplex reticle version is easier to see than the 4a in this particular scope, which is usually not the case. They also have a smaller objective, but that probably won't matter, especially on lower powers:
http://swfa.com/Swarovski-3-9x36-Z3-Riflescope-P40812.aspx 
http://swfa.com/Swarovski-3-9x36-Z3-Riflescope-P40813.aspx 
The high-end Zeiss scopes are excellent low-light performers as well, but cost a lot more than Z3's.

Sightron SII Big Sky scopes have very good glass for the price and the model that I owned outperformed my Conquests in low light. They have great eye relief, but a somewhat critical 'eye- box', i.e.,  it might take a bit longer to get on target for a quick shot. The Sightron duplex reticle is excellent; stays black and visible with a fine- enough center.
Here's a model that might meet your needs:
http://swfa.com/Sightron-3-12x42-SII-Big-Sky-Riflescope-P9163.aspx 

The Leupold VX-R models have been getting great reviews here. I've not peered through one yet, but others have said that they have VX-3 glass. There are some interesting models which might work for you, with illumination and heavy 4a reticle, both a great boon to low- light conditions.
http://swfa.com/Leupold-2-7x33-VX-R-30mm-Riflescope-P48034.aspx
http://swfa.com/Leupold-3-9x40-VX-R-30mm-Riflescope-P48036.aspx 
http://swfa.com/Leupold-3-9x50-VX-R-30mm-Riflescope-P48018.aspx 

This Burris Euro Diamond has been discontinued and would make a great all around 200 yd. scope. It also has a heavy 4a reticle and illuminated dot and would be very fast to get on target. This is also a 30mm scope:
http://swfa.com/Burris-15-6x40-Euro-Diamond-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P50798.aspx

I've no idea if a lit reticle would work for you, but the Trijicon 2.5-10x56 that's been listed would be a great choice. All of the scopes mentioned in this thread have previously been hashed over a bit in the forums. If scope size is an issue for you, then you have quite a few to select from and a lot more on the SWFA site.

Edited by Alan Robertson - July/09/2011 at 22:53
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2011 at 13:22
That 3-9X50 Conquest will be brighter than the Swaro at the same powers, due to the physics of the larger objective.  Swaro z3 does have better glass than Conquests when comparing similarly configured models, but that is a pretty big objective size difference.

The Conquest also has a bolder reticle.
-Matt
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2011 at 11:24
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

That 3-9X50 Conquest will be brighter than the Swaro at the same powers, due to the physics of the larger objective.  Swaro z3 does have better glass than Conquests when comparing similarly configured models, but that is a pretty big objective size difference.

The Conquest also has a bolder reticle.
The Conquest w/Z-Plex will definitely have a bolder reticle, that's right.
However, I'm not so sure that the Conquest would top the Swarovski even with a larger objective. There's more to it than just "simple physics". I'd have to see it proved to me in a side-side comparison.
Once did a comparison with a Z6- 40 something mm obj. vs. a gigantic 50mm VX-3, and I think a VX-L 56mm which have glass arguably about the same as a Conquest- the Leupolds couldn't get there- they were close to the Swaro, but no cigar. When you talk about the detail which could actually be seen in very dark conditions, the Swarovski stood out even over a similarly configured Diavari.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
dboneusc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dboneusc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2011 at 15:25
Just to confuse things - where would the Swaro Z3 with the 50mm objective fit in, particularly compared to the two AccuPoint models (40mm and 56mm)?

Swarovski 4-12x50 Z3 Riflescope Plex Swarovski 4-12x50 Z3 Riflescope
Stock # - SWA59021
  • Matte
  • Plex
  • 1"
$938.95
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2011 at 17:01
I have the Swaro A 3-10x42 (same thing as Z3), a couple of the Conquest in 3.5-10x44.  It's too close to call optically between the two.  The Swaro may, and I say may, give you a couple more minutes in extreme low light than the Conquest.  The reticle in the Zeiss is etched, slightly bolder, and I prefer it to the Swaro.   My Swaro had POI issues so I fixed it and sold it. 

If I were to get into a "best glass in the world for riflescopes" debate it would start with Zeiss Diavari and Schmidt and Bender, and high end Swaros. 

You will not encounter a hunting situation when a Conquest or a VX3 won't deliver through last legal light.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2011 at 22:45
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

I have the Swaro A 3-10x42 (same thing as Z3), a couple of the Conquest in 3.5-10x44.  It's too close to call optically between the two.  The Swaro may, and I say may, give you a couple more minutes in extreme low light than the Conquest.  The reticle in the Zeiss is etched, slightly bolder, and I prefer it to the Swaro.   My Swaro had POI issues so I fixed it and sold it. 

If I were to get into a "best glass in the world for riflescopes" debate it would start with Zeiss Diavari and Schmidt and Bender, and high end Swaros. 

You will not encounter a hunting situation when a Conquest or a VX3 won't deliver through last legal light.
Absolutely, a VX-3 or a Conquest will take you to last light conditions and past it, too. One can see objects with either of those models that can't be seen with the naked eye, long past sundown.

The test I mentioned was in almost full darkness with a little ambient light from nearby city lights in clouds... that's where you can really see the difference; over the edge, so to speak.

To my eyes, the  Z6 was able to resolve finer detail- I think it was some sort of color/contrast difference- that the Diavari couldn't quite match, and both were better than the VX3 and VXL.

I've never looked through a Z3 and just assumed that their glass/coatings was the same as a Z6...
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2011 at 23:02
I currently have the 4-12X50 z3, and until recently had a 3-9X40 Conquest.  I also spent some time with a 4.5-15X50 Conquest (a fine scope overall as well).  Swaro says glass and coatings are the same up and down the line (z3,z5,z6), except large objective z6 scopes have FL glass objectives.

I would say the z3 has noticeably better resolution than the Conquests, but not enough (when speaking solely about brightness) to counteract the effect of a better exit pupil (50mm objectives vs. 42mm objectives at similar powers).  The OP stated he was most concerned about brightness.

Conquests do not lack in sharpness, either.  Swaros just seem to excel in that area.
-Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic