OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

My first post ever ... and some questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAG980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My first post ever ... and some questions
    Posted: July/06/2011 at 16:06
Hello to everyone.  I have been lurking today, and am fairly surprised to say the least LOL. 
All of the Leupold hate was the first thing to amaze me !  Much to learn.

So I am sure you guessed it ... I have questions.

First off, does anyone know of any reviews of the VX-3L 4.5-14x56mm Long Range anywhere ?

Next, does Koshkin have a website of his own ?  Seems he is the premier testing and review guy around here ...

lastly, I have a gun that is VERY special to me in a lot of ways ... so I want to choose the best scope I can afford for it.  My preferences / requirements are great clarity and resolution ... great low light capabilities ...  reasonable size and weight .... side focus .... must focus to 25 yds or under on the AO ... and under a grand.

The scopes I have been considering so far are the :

VX-3L 4.5-14x56mm Long Range
Bushnell 4.5-30X50 Elite 6500 w/30MM Tube Mil-Dot Reticle
Zeiss 4.5-14x50mm Conquest

I want to keep the magnification range in the same ball park ... and also the objective size. I would love to know if the Conquest is just THAT much better than the other two as well.
Thanks for your input and suggestions !

JAG980 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAG980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2011 at 16:10
Oops .... i also meant to say I think Leupold's cut away bottom of the Obj lens is one of the best ideas I have ever seen in a scope !
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2011 at 16:17
ILya's site is here.  http://opticsthoughts.com/index.php

As far as your scope choices, those are all good scopes.  While I think the Bushnell with 30x is a little extreme, but that is just my opinion.

Most will say the Conquest will give a slight advantage in glass quality.  It would be my choice out of the 3. 

This would be my choice.  It is a better scope than all the 3 you have listed, at least glass quality wise.  http://swfa.com/Swarovski-4-12x50-Z3-Riflescope-P47244.aspx  I have a Z6 1.7-10x.  If I could afford it, Swaros would be on all my hunting guns, they are impressive.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2011 at 16:19
Oh, and welcome to the forum.  Big Grin
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
JAG980 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAG980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2011 at 16:37
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

ILya's site is here.  http://opticsthoughts.com/index.php

As far as your scope choices, those are all good scopes.  While I think the Bushnell with 30x is a little extreme, but that is just my opinion.

Most will say the Conquest will give a slight advantage in glass quality.  It would be my choice out of the 3. 

This would be my choice.  It is a better scope than all the 3 you have listed, at least glass quality wise.  http://swfa.com/Swarovski-4-12x50-Z3-Riflescope-P47244.aspx  I have a Z6 1.7-10x.  If I could afford it, Swaros would be on all my hunting guns, they are impressive.

That will not work for my needs though ... I MUST have adjustable objective that focuses to at least 25 yds.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2011 at 17:10
Originally posted by JAG980 JAG980 wrote:

Oops .... i also meant to say I think Leupold's cut away bottom of the Obj lens is one of the best ideas I have ever seen in a scope !

If you use QR mounts it can double as a pooper scooper..
Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2011 at 17:12

That will not work for my needs though ... I MUST have adjustable objective that focuses to at least 25 yds.
Why must your scope be able to made parallax-free at 25 yards?

Edited by Magnumdood - July/06/2011 at 17:12
America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
JAG980 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAG980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2011 at 17:19
Originally posted by Magnumdood Magnumdood wrote:

Why
must your scope be able to made parallax-free at 25 yards?

LOL ... I dreaded this question, and it sure did not take long to pop up.  I shoot a VERY powerful  non-recoiling airgun, at distances of 15 to 200 yds.  Parallax error becomes an issue if the scope can not clearly focus down to at least 25 yds.
FreeJersey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeJersey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2011 at 17:20
Also take a look at the Sightron SII Big Sky line:

And the SII line:

They have some of the best glass and features you can find in that price range.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeJersey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2011 at 17:21
I meant the SIII line.
JAG980 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAG980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2011 at 17:27
Originally posted by FreeJersey FreeJersey wrote:

And the SII line:

I really do appreciate you guys !  But you are not reading my requirements quite closely enough ;-)

The Sightron only focuses down to 50 yds .... Will not work for me.   Thanks though
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2011 at 18:19
We're not all Leupold haters, but most of us realize that there are other options just as favorable as Leupold.  It seams to me that the Leupold maybe a very good fit for your application.

Edited by lucytuma - July/06/2011 at 18:19
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2011 at 18:52
Here are a few options for you (by the way, is the gun primarily for target shooting? that effects the reticle choice), in no particular order

By the way, technically, Conquest focuses down to 30 yards, not 25.

ILya

anomad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2011 at 19:06

Why

LOL ... I dreaded this question, and it sure did not take long to pop up.  I shoot a VERY powerful  non-recoiling airgun, at distances of 15 to 200 yds.  Parallax error becomes an issue if the scope can not clearly focus down to at least 25 yds.

Valid question with a perfectly valid answer.
You'll never be competitive in a 25 yard match without proper adjustment range.

Do you have an AirForce? I really dig the precharged air rifles but haven't splurged on one. With their hefty price tag I can buy a lot of 22 shorts, which are pretty quiet.
JAG980 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAG980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2011 at 19:13
Originally posted by anomad anomad wrote:

WOW .... That Minox looks waaay cool at first glance !  I would have to have a different reticle though.

If I may, how would this scope compare optically to the Conquest ?

Why

Do you have an AirForce? I really dig the precharged air rifles but haven't splurged on one. With their hefty price tag I can buy a lot of 22 shorts, which are pretty quiet.
JAG980 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAG980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2011 at 19:15
Mr. Koshkin ....

WOW .... That Minox looks waaay cool at first glance ! I would have to have a different reticle though.
If I may, how would this scope compare optically to the Conquest ?

JAG980 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAG980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2011 at 19:24
Originally posted by anomad anomad wrote:

Why

Hi Anomad ...  I don't own an Airforce sir .. But i do own a custom AZ Theoben Rapid.  And I love it because I can buy 1000 of it's favorite pellets for only $15   ;-)   Add that it is just DEAD silent, and it sure is a load of fun !
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeJersey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2011 at 19:39

Originally posted by FreeJersey FreeJersey wrote:

And the SII line:

I really do appreciate you guys !  But you are not reading my requirements quite closely enough ;-)

The Sightron only focuses down to 50 yds .... Will not work for me.   Thanks though

The SII Big Sky line focuses down to 10 yards.
anomad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2011 at 20:39

Hi Anomad ...  I don't own an Airforce sir .. But i do own a custom AZ Theoben Rapid.  And I love it because I can buy 1000 of it's favorite pellets for only $15   ;-)   Add that it is just DEAD silent, and it sure is a load of fun !

Very nice! I had to look that up, only being familiar with the more common air rifles.

15$/1k... that's cheaper than primers! Someone needs to buy my house, I've been selling my toys for almost 2 years. I'd rather be buying a couple new ones.
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2011 at 21:02
uuhhhmm i not to sure if buying a rifle scope for an air gun the air gun recoil will jack up the scope. from what i have heard it don't matter what brand you buy. better off buy an air gun scope from some place.
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic