OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best 1 inch Scope for Air rifle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tominct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best 1 inch Scope for Air rifle
    Posted: July/05/2011 at 23:04
I am looking for a scope to use mainly punching paper but some hunting on a high end air rifle. I may even try my hand at field target at some time.  That puts range from 5M to 80M or so. I am thinking a relatively high magnifications scope.  Most folks are buying 30mm scopes and I know there are really great 30mm scopes, but they are heavy. What are the choices in 1 inch platform that are $400 or less?  I know leupold makes EFR vxIII scopes, but they are a bit over my budget.   I was looking at the Hawke varmints - but the silence is deafening.    Are there any US or Japan made choices?  Seems like they all come from China or Korea.  
tominct View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tominct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2011 at 19:13
Update - I have narrowed my choice down to Hawke Sidewinder 30 4-16,  the Swift Premier and the SS 10x42. They are within a few ounces weight wise.  They all focus to 10m (an requirement for me)  All mildots. I own a SS and like it very much, have it on my 10/22 at the moment.  I am looking for image quality and quality feel.  I am not going to put my gun in a burlap bag and drag it through the woods like a real honest to god sniper, so while the strength of the 30mm tubes is real, it just is not a factor in my decision.  So which has the best image? 
08Cayenne View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08Cayenne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2011 at 20:21
Leupold VXII 3-9x33 EFR rimfire, under $400.

VYD View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VYD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2011 at 14:43
Hawke and Swift = China made glass.

SWFA SS = Japan.

Best warranty - Hawke and SWFA.

Hope it helps.

Edited by VYD - July/07/2011 at 14:45
Hokie1850 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hokie1850 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2011 at 22:09
I just acquired a RWS Panther Pro Lite pellet rifle.  It's incredible fun and leans against my upstairs bedroom wall.  I'm waiting for a particular critter to try rippin' off my garden again.

That said, the RWS scope that came with the gun is absolute junk.  I don't and won't shoot this past 50 yards so I need a new scope, but was hoping to keep the budget around $200 or so shipped.

It'd be nice to NOT buy something from China - if at all possible.  Hoping to hear some recommendations from the crowd.  Thanks,
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2011 at 08:46
If rimfire scopes would be ok, I'd recommend: Weaver Classic Rimfire 3-9 X 32 AO for about $230: Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 3-9 X 40 for about $150. If you want great glass and can go a bit more $, the Sightron Big Sky 3-9 X 36 A.O. is a great scope. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2011 at 08:53
Just make sure you get an adjustable objective or side focus scope and pay attention to how close they will focus.   If you do decide to up your $$ just a bit the SuperSniper 6X would be a great air rifle scope!
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2011 at 10:33
In your stated price range I think the Weaver is a winner over the Nikon. The Nikon has fixed parallax @ 50 yards. The Weaver will get you down to ten yards and is far better for accuracy at higher powers over the shortest to longest ranges of the Panther. If you aren't picking off mice beneath the bird feeder, the Nikon will be fine, though.
I had a fixed 6X on a spring gun and it didn't last very long. It was way too much for shooting @ ten yards.
I have no experience with the Big Sky, but it is quite a bit over your budget. It does adjust down to ten yards and the glass is supposed to be very good.
Doug
Hokie1850 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hokie1850 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2011 at 10:51
Great tips everyone. 

I just purchased a Vortex Viper 2-7X32 for that $150 price tag on SWFA. I was going to use THAT on my airgun until the concept of picking off vermin below the birdfeeder - which is most certainly on the agenda.  To that end I think I'll definitely need something that adjusts paralax @ 10 yards.  Hadn't considered that.

I'll check out the Weaver & Nikon.  I'll likely use the Vortex on something else - nothing wrong with an extra scope in the inventory. 

bro.steve View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bro.steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2012 at 21:12
Does the Weaver come with more than 30mm obj.?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic