OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Trailer Weight Distribution Hitch and Sway Control
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Trailer Weight Distribution Hitch and Sway Control

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer Weight Distribution Hitch and Sway Control
    Posted: July/05/2011 at 14:44
I have an EAZ-LIFT 48053 1000 10,000LB WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION HITCH.

As pictured Here...

http://www.eaz-lift.com/eazlift/pro/pro_elite.html

I am looking at adding a Sway Control.

I have pulled my Travel Trailer as pictured here:

http://www.rvguide.com/specs/skyline/travel-trailer/2008/malibu/2810.html

The Dry Weight of our Trailer is 7,000lbs vs the 6,000lbs listed, we have a few extras.

The Loaded weight Including Propane, Water(s), and all the Kids' Stuff, and my Wife's shoes add up to be 2,500lbs+.

I have not had any real issues pulling it until I switched out my Pull Vehicle, I used to have short wheel based GM's SUV's the GMC Yukon and the Chevy Tahoe, now we have a FORD Expedition EL that seems to have a horrible time in the wind, I do not know Why maybe it was winder maybe because the different Weighted-ness, maybe wheel base, frankly I do not care why now I am in the mindset to get the Sway Control for safety.

I want to get a new sway control system, I probably should have never pulled it without one but I did just fine the 15+times I pulled it.  Now the first time out with the Expedition EL and I was all over the road right to left without a heavy wind at all...

Back to the Reason for this post.

I am wondering what you guys use and if why you like it.

I am really stumped on this as I was thinking of just going back to EAZ-LIFT but that is just out of convenience.

Also I only have what is pictured what else will I need that does not come with whatever you suggest.

I am hoping you can provide me links to what you suggest just to help aid me, I need to have it by August 1st, 2011 and hopefully get a test run in that week.

Thank you in Advance...

Also any suggestions on Trailer Rims I do not like the Plain Look of the White Rims (that and after 2 years they are rust buckets already paint is gone and rust all over looking for aluminum or something that is not going to rust out).

Thank you guys in advance...

No one
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2011 at 14:53
Loose your wifes shoes so the weight is not so much?Wink

(I have no useful advise on this but couldn't resist)
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2011 at 14:57
Sounds like you need more weight on the hitch to me, to much weight on the back end. 

My dad and I tug around an 8000 lb cargo trailer all the time with just a regular old ball mount.  The only time we have a sway problem is if we have to much weight on the back end.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2011 at 15:51
I know the weight is over the hitch as that is where all the storage is at we have quad bunks(w/storage) and water and propane in the front and storage compartments...
No one
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2011 at 22:47
What you feel in the wind is somewhat just due to the bigger vehicle.  Is the "sway" you are feeling the trailer actually swaying around, or is it that your steering is loose due to too much weight on the back of the pull vehicle?
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2011 at 23:07
Maybe a bit of both...

I could look back and see a sway...
No one
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2011 at 01:46
Nice trailer, what kind of tires are you running on the expedition I would start there first with a quality 10 ply tire with traction to suit your needs, also all of the pickups we haul with have air bags with the pump and canister, they ride great and you can air it up or down depending on the trailer and the way it is loaded. 

http://www.eastendcampers.com/air-bags.html

I think we use Air Lift brand, but whatever it is, it's put on by our local Les Schwab tire stores.
Also you can get just the bag kit, but I highly recommend getting the compressor and guage kit, it makes it so easy to adjust your load accordingly, like after a long week of camping and you have used up your water supply and emptied your waste, or just hauling more than the usual.  Anyhow good luck.
scooter65 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2011 at 05:38
Nice Camper! 

The only variable you've changed is the pull vehicle.  The camper and the weight distribution stayed the same.  I would start with Ford and discuss their sway bars, shocks, tires.  My guess is it's the weight distribution of the truck coupled with the added weight of the trailer causing the sway bars of the truck itself to overload.  Does the truck have a tow package?  If Tahqua (doug) doesn't answer to this thread you should pm him.  He is a Ford engineer and may be able to get answers for you.

The only time I have experience sway as bad as you have described is when the trailer is loaded heavy at the back.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2011 at 07:01
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2011 at 08:27
Are you running the OEM Tires? The tires most of the manufactures tend to put on the trucks are soft with soft sidewalls giving a lot of sway. 
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2011 at 15:27
Originally posted by GetSome GetSome wrote:

Nice trailer, what kind of tires are you running on the expedition I would start there first with a quality 10 ply tire with traction to suit your needs, also all of the pickups we haul with have air bags with the pump and canister, they ride great and you can air it up or down depending on the trailer and the way it is loaded. 

http://www.eastendcampers.com/air-bags.html

I think we use Air Lift brand, but whatever it is, it's put on by our local Les Schwab tire stores.
Also you can get just the bag kit, but I highly recommend getting the compressor and guage kit, it makes it so easy to adjust your load accordingly, like after a long week of camping and you have used up your water supply and emptied your waste, or just hauling more than the usual.  Anyhow good luck.

LOAD E GOODYEAR SILENT ARMORS I BELIEVE THEY ARE 10 PLY...
No one
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2011 at 15:29
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

http://www.americanrvcompany.com/Blue-Ox-BX4325-Aladdin-Tow-Bar-37-lbs-Class-III-Camper-Trailer-RV_p_2186.html

This states up to 7,500lbs, I'm running close to 9k lbs
No one
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2011 at 15:33
Originally posted by scooter65 scooter65 wrote:

Nice Camper! 

The only variable you've changed is the pull vehicle.  The camper and the weight distribution stayed the same.  I would start with Ford and discuss their sway bars, shocks, tires.  My guess is it's the weight distribution of the truck coupled with the added weight of the trailer causing the sway bars of the truck itself to overload.  Does the truck have a tow package?  If Tahqua (doug) doesn't answer to this thread you should pm him.  He is a Ford engineer and may be able to get answers for you.

The only time I have experience sway as bad as you have described is when the trailer is loaded heavy at the back.

Yes, It has a Tow Package.

No one
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2011 at 16:59
I am glad to see you are doing it right, when my father owned a truck stop and towing business I picked up a number of overturned trailers and cars and pickups most were just using a ball hitch (usually underrated) and regular car tires. I would contact Ford for their advice and the trailer company. A rig like that can go from an inconvenience to a disaster is seconds. I once had to scope up a short bed chev pickup that was trying to haul a 36 foot twin engine boat, no one in the family survived the boat fliped the entire rig and crushed the pickup.
Duce Bucky
Duce
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2011 at 18:25
Wow Duce,Thanks for those Pearls of Wisdom.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2011 at 23:29
Okay, so did some of my own deductive reasoning, found that the Expedition EL has independent rear suspension and has a better air suspension system that was raising my back end up as much as 3 inches higher so I did not need to put the weight distribution bars up as high so it was making my  tongue weight and height off, I did add a sway control system as well and I am glad to say I have safely pulled the family over 900 miles without any hiccups through the Smokey Mountains (or as most of you call them little hills).  The older Tahoe has front and rear air suspension but it only changes the back hitch about 1 inch.

Long Story short I am thankful for all your help.

Most all the comments were dead on.

It was me just doing the same thing I have always done counting 3 rings on the chains and securing,  Cranking the handle 20 times (as when I measured it with the old vehicle), I was stupid enough to take the hitch off the old vehicle and just line it up with the new vehicle and never really thought about what would happen with the height of the hitch once I turned the Engine on.  Sure enough I went back to check everything very closely this time and just watched the back raise a couple of inches in front of my face.

I started kicking myself right then and there and said oh man I am starting to be a BUBBA...

Side Note:

I had a few hiccups this year with the Hot-Water System (it is Gas and Electric Direct Spark Ignition), had some Issues with a Dometic HVAC system and Remote, and Last but not least found that I must not have done a very good winter-ization and had to replace some plumbing.  Well This time I am going to break every valve and separate the P-Traps and Plug all the drains and leave every handle to every sink open.  I also rewired the Electrical System more appropriately.

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - July/23/2011 at 23:30
No one
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2011 at 23:29
Glad you got her all dialed in. 
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2011 at 11:05

Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Sounds like you need more weight on the hitch to me, to much weight on the back end. 

My dad and I tug around an 8000 lb cargo trailer all the time with just a regular old ball mount.  The only time we have a sway problem is if we have to much weight on the back end.

I have gotten this reduced.

I am still having some issues with the Independent Self Leveling Suspension taking over at times.

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - October/07/2011 at 11:07
No one
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2011 at 08:31
Wow, first I've seen of this.  I must have been stuck in the middle of Yuma...
Nice ride.  I used to have a Coachmen Encounter, but used it so little it just wasn't worth it.  Sold it to a guy who fishes a lot and he was using it EVERY WEEK.  Better all around...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
anomad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2011 at 09:03
Originally posted by 338LAPUASLAP 338LAPUASLAP wrote:

I must not have done a very good winter-ization and had to replace some plumbing.  Well This time I am going to break every valve and separate the P-Traps and Plug all the drains and leave every handle to every sink open.  I also rewired the Electrical System more appropriately.

I've had better luck with a bunch of the pink stuff in the system than trying to drain every last molecule of water.

Edited by anomad - October/08/2011 at 09:04
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic