OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Gonna order the glass Friday... I think?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gonna order the glass Friday... I think?
    Posted: June/29/2011 at 22:35

I'm gonna order a scope from SWFA on Friday. Which one is the question?

Viper 6.5-20x50 dead hold BDC  $469

Sightron 6.5-20x50 Milldot  $644

Does the glass in the Sightron warrant the extra cash?
I'm guess both will track outstanding
I wonder if the turrets on the Sightron are as good as the Viper's. I've heard the target turrets on the Sightrons are a bit "mushy" was the term I think I heard used.
Sightron is 1" the Viper is 30mm

All in all what do you guys with some first hand experience have to say that can help me with my terrible dilemma?  And a range report will definitely be forthcoming once the scope is here, mounted and sighted in.

Thanks again,
Andrew
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2011 at 01:16
from what I have heard I'd go with the viper. what are ur plans for it?
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
torisdad View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2011 at 02:28
Varmint hunting and paper punchin on a 93r Savage BVTLSS 17HMR and it may end up on my Ruger Target/Varmint .223 with the same duties.

Thanks,
Andrew
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2011 at 07:24

Between the 2 you listed and the stated purpose I'd say the viper as well.  Although I'm not sure I'd want that much power on the low end for a 17hmr but thats just me.  I ran a 4-12 viper on my 17 but just got a 2-7 for it because i felt it was to much power to get on a tree rat when he's running the branches. 

torisdad View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2011 at 09:30
 SVT,

No tree rats for me. Mostly ground hogs from 100-250 with that gun and paper. The Ruger will be more of the long range gun for the same purpose with some Coyote hunting as well.

Andrew
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2011 at 10:02

just make sure you have a pistol or shotgun with you for the yote hunting, 6.5x is a lot to be using for a close up yote

torisdad View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2011 at 12:54
Yup, I always take my 9mm anytime I go out.

Andrew
Poodleshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poodleshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2011 at 13:09
I've got the 44mm version of that Viper mounted on my AR. It's a huge, heavy scope, just so you know....

That said, the clicks are very repeatable, the reset to zero is one of the best designs I've felt, and you should be plenty satisfied with it for the use you've laid out.
That's still a lot of scope for even an accurate magnum rimfire,IMHO. I'd probably top out with a Weaver V16 or similar, even for groundhogs. Then again, there's plenty of guys with huge leupolds on .17HMRs at places like RFC.

torisdad View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2011 at 13:34
SVT,
I think maybe less power may be the ticket. That being said I may shoot the wad and order a Weaver 3-15x50 Tactical.

I wanted a FFP scope in the first place but the price of the 20-24 powers with the features I wanted was too high. So many scopes and no shop within 50 miles that has any of these to look at.

I realize I'm jumpin all over with my choices but I'll let you all know how it turns out in the end.

Andrew
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2011 at 18:14
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Between the 2 you listed and the stated purpose I'd say the viper as well.  Although I'm not sure I'd want that much power on the low end for a 17hmr but thats just me.  I ran a 4-12 viper on my 17 but just got a 2-7 for it because i felt it was to much power to get on a tree rat when he's running the branches. 

torisdad I'm with Graham here on this also. not so sure thos about weaver scope tho.

Edited by hunterwingler - June/30/2011 at 20:14
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic