OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > The Range Report
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - **UPDATED** NICE DAY AT THE RANGE.SWFA SS 5-20X50
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

**UPDATED** NICE DAY AT THE RANGE.SWFA SS 5-20X50

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: **UPDATED** NICE DAY AT THE RANGE.SWFA SS 5-20X50
    Posted: June/28/2011 at 17:04
Ok so this will be brief and as concise as I can allow myself.

UPDATED PORTION.

Ok so I tried the best I could my camera is horrible with night time photos.  I tried the night time mode and it was only worse.

Here is a simple comparison of scopes all within a few hundred dollars of each other with ratings or specs pretty similar.

The test was simple the Bird House @80yrds the White Peak Garage on the house across the way @ 200yrds the Roof Line of the same house and finally the Tree behind that house a full block over 2 streets over @ 420yrds...

Sounds simple certain tests at 6x, 12x, 16x, and 18x as all the scopes used had these settings.

Here are my non scientific findings.

Kahles, SWFA, Sightron,                                          Vortex.

The Sightron 6-24 the SWFA 5-20 and the Vortex PST all 6-24 were all tested against each other at 20x, than the Sightron vs the Vortex @ 24x.  

Same order as the Test above.

I want to go on record and say something,  the Sightron has the remarkable ability to have some very detailed 3-D imaging it is spectacular.

The Kahles has a remarkable ability to keep that lines and shapes accurate and true.

The SWFA seems to keep the same imaging but tends to lose the lines a little quicker.

The Sightron is right there.

The Vortex starts hazier or whiter and looses the lines very very quickly.

I actually tried the 5-20 Vortex they sold awhile back and that seems to hold in with the PST and dare I say seem a little brighter without the haze or as white or cloudy edges.  This makes me believe that they are not the same glass or that the PST glass has different coatings.

Mind you I make it sound horrible it is NOT but it is present.

The last picture is the Inside of the SWFA scope.

My apologize for the pics these are just to show scale and the testing grounds (backyard).

I did the testing with the patio door open without the treated glass...

Forgive the mess on the table I did not have time to clean up and used the books as shims so to speak.

It actually took awhile longer than I thought it would...

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - October/02/2011 at 17:08
No one
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2011 at 17:06
WOW... THAT'S FANTASTIC... 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2011 at 17:10
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

WOW... THAT'S FANTASTIC... 

PLUS 10000!! 
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2011 at 17:19
So I couldn't even load text you guys responded so quickly...

First, and foremost, you cannot compare these to a Vortex PST it is not a fair comparison.

Secondly, I was under less than perfect conditions the winds were well exceeding 20mph an American Flag straight out without any sag, no windage flags at this range but I can assure you it was a stiff wind to walk in.

This was a MIL target that I did the small box test on if you will again I can assure you it was me that did not intersect the lines along with the very stiff wind and my excitement, for whatever reason I couldn't get my heart rate in check (excitement that I finally got this thing in my hands and the pure rush of adrenaline once the spotter started yelling out 10 - 10 - 10 -10 -10 -9 -10 -10 -8 KIDDING KIDDING 10...)

Ok back to the serious part... 

I can say this so far, I will be in contact with SWFA in the AM as it is past hours, the adjustments were perfectly solid the feel of the scope was more than robust they say 32 oz or something I say this is a nice Baton to beat someone with...  I Called Brady and jested standing in Blue corner Vortex Pst weighing in at 105lbs standing in the Red Corner SWFA SS weighing in at 389lbs and 7 ounces.  A brut compared to a feather weight.

This scope is a TANK...

I can say it is solid, the illumination is my only question at this point as it was very very faint to my eyes I know just the center and for night use but hardly visible to me during the day, I did not check the batterie(s) and I did not even check to see If I installed them correctly...

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

The Center Dot Illumination works better than any other Illuminated Scope I have (at this time) It is a very simple execution, I guess I am just used to say the cheaper Red/Green Illumination that is blinding with the Haloing effect.

Their is some "Bleeding" but actually it works quite well from the center out with aiding in keeping you centered...

END END END

I compared it to another couple of scopes and I cannot bring to light my findings yet.

I would compare this closest to a Zeiss, Kahles, or the like...

Ok back on track...

At 16x the Mil Ranging is gone from the bottom, but If you need 16x at that distance past the 30+ mils and the Holdover you better be in the top shooters in the entire world to start complaining about it.

Also the Diamonds allow for some sweet views and intersections.

I will complement them on this reticle as it was joy to look through for hours.

I had to stop as the casualties were piling up all around me and I did a dumb thing, started adding up all the hardwork and dollars on the bench and on the ground started thinking maybe I shouldn't shoot much more I need to save my money for another scope...

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - July/02/2011 at 18:30
No one
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2011 at 17:37
Awesome

-Matt
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2011 at 17:56
Yes, it is higher than what I like, they were some TPS rings I had Laying around and the 30 MOA base doesn't help...

Specifics on combo are Savage 10 old school flat back receiver (LEO-Tactical whatever) 16.25" barrel 1:10 twist more like 1:9.75 Medalist Stock, Ops Inc. 3rd Model M24 or M40 .30cal can with Ops Inc turned down .920 Barrel cheap bi-pod for support when not in hands or in case...

Conditions were 80 degrees F, 70% Humidity, 800ft elevation, 200GR Lapua B416's @ 965-981FPS 10.8 Trailboss, WSW 20mph wind...

PM, ME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS!!!

Some Details I'd rather not share with the general public as they are too shocking...

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - June/28/2011 at 18:02
No one
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2011 at 18:14
Excellent
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2011 at 18:25
Some details too shocking!!! Shocked

Like these:

SigKev
on 6/28/2011
Excellent Scope It is everything it was made out to be. I have S&B and IOR glass to compare it with and must say the glass is so close that I have a very difficult time telling the difference. Great job on an excellent scope.

Jason
on 6/17/2011
Must buy Now I've been spoiled by shooting more than my fair share of Hensoldt's so it's not unusual for me to look through other scopes and be quickly unimpressed. That was not the case with this scope, without a doubt it's going to be a hit. One interesting note is that the clicks are better than my Hensoldt!

TheOneTwo
on 5/26/2011
SS-HD I would say the SS HD glass is 90%+ of my Swaro Z6. They are just fantastic optically.

Here are some comments from Frank Galli (owner of Sniper's Hide.com).

I consider NF to be the dollar for dollar best scope on the market, but the SWFA SS-HD in 5-20X takes it for a FFP. It's that good... 

This scope easily could have sold for $2k and still would have been worth it. 

I like it, I will continue to use it, it ranks up there with my top three, which will probably have to change to SS-HD, NF, S&B, and Hensoldt for my top favorites.– Lowlight

Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2011 at 19:34
The only comparison I could make were size and packaging.  The SWFA SS is in a little different class.  I hate the home-made Zero-Stop the Vortex Offers...

Again the size is all that is comparable...

Note the IDIOT PROOF Card they issue with the scope to show the values for referencing the Reticle and Subtensions.  These are very valuable to all who are needing them from tactical to practical and paper/steel...

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - June/28/2011 at 19:39
No one
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2011 at 07:17
Nice review 338
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2011 at 07:36
Without seeing both is person but looking at the photos, design wise I'd say the SS is a much better built scope.  
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Claus View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2011 at 09:21
ExcellentExcellentExcellent
What range were you shooting at?
Savage 93 17.HMR. Tikka Tac A1 308 Blaser R8 6,5-55 / 30-06. Beretta Silver Pigeon. Comming up-TIKKATAC A1 22LR

Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2011 at 10:33
Way to go .338.Just got mine yesterday & I only had a chance to play with the mechanics.I found the turrets on the SS better to my liking than my Zeiss FL but not quite as smooth as the turrets on my Premier lite tactical although I thought the SS turrets grabbed the graduations some what better & the clicks were more audable....trade offs & I think they are both fantastic.

At last light[approx.9:10 pm] the SS held its own to about 95+% against both of the above named scopes,& these are 2 of the best out there costing considerably more,this was out to 150yds.

I mounted mine on a Rem 700 Police with 20" barrel in  .223 using Badger rings,very nice looking scope,love how the logo stands outExcellent.

I had the same problem with the illum.but I haven't checked the battery yet to see if it's in correct!
Looking forward to shooting & testing on Sat.
My hat goes off to CF & the entire SWFA gang for a outstanding design & product,but then again the only thing they know how to produce is a great product.one more point,thanks for hearing us CF as I for one requested a 5-20 about 2 years ago as did several other members....Kudos

Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2011 at 13:05
Congrats Chris Excellent Seems like you have a winner with this model.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2011 at 14:09
Loco
Wink
Big Grin
No one
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2011 at 17:16
Another range day... 

A few questions about the stock in the above pictures and here are the answers...

I used to be a stock whore so to speak, the stock was the part of the platform I felt and I cared how it felt, than I went to HS than I went to Bell Carlson, I believe the Medalist could be a little softer or not as "brittle or hard feeling" but it will work for years, I actually took it and wrapped it on a tree 3 or 4 times I wouldn't try it on the corner of a brick wall or a concrete surface but I believe I gave it the most abuse I could withing reason, It is fine and sturdy a perfect drop in no and I mean no modifications or doctoring required, I did do some light bedding although none was really required I like perfection and like to make sure it is 100% concentric and perfect to the point of 6 ought or 000000 steel wool type scotch bright  and some good old talc powder resin, I believe I am anal as if I were to take it away I bet less than a .005 or maybe even .0009 difference.  The Stock is again not the best out there, (check weld is just fine without a pad or any slip), but for the $180 it cannot be beat even the difference between it and a HS precession is not worth the $100 (or $299 vs $199) IMHO  let a lone some other stocks I have 500+ into...I was very very worried and after I received it I was still a little on the "what the heck did I do but after I did some testing and saw the fit and got used to the little boxier feel than the ovalness I am used to I am not mad I got into it.

I will say on a side note that it does not feel as soft again as it feels very hard but after the 120+ degree heat it is just fine...  Cold weather it seems harder and stiffer but no issues at all...

When I say wrapped I hit a golf ball 300Yrds with consistency and hit softballs 300Ft with ease so I have a pretty hard swing the tree I hit was a Birch and I don't think the tree was to happy with me the stock only lost 1 little fiber in the whole ordeal and the aluminum was completely intact...

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - July/01/2011 at 22:32
No one
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2011 at 09:53
Is the safety tang of your Savage floated in that stock? I hear it really changes the accuracy potential of the rifle. Not that it looks like the rifle is in-accurate.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2011 at 14:47
I actually stayed away from them for that reason alone but then I found out when I got this one originally with the John Plaster Ultimate Sniper Stock, I found out what they were talking about the Rear of the Safety seemed to be not in the same Plane or Not Level with the rest of the Stock It was the definite contact point and even supporting point.

The medalist allows it to be a little lower so the safety is not supporting the rear but rather the last part of Contact is the Rear Aluminum Block, I won't say the Stock and the Metal are "free floating" as I probably couldn't pass a piece of fiber under it but it does not support or change the alignment or contact anyone surface to displace it enough or to obscure it.

I also notice the Stock did not effect the whip or harmonics. 

Again I know some say no point of the Rear Safety can make contact but I believe as long as it is not supporting or being a hang up the little contact does not change POI or accuracy as I see it... 

The savages are so simple.

I hate to put this out there but I stayed away from them do to the mis-information...

Whoever had my particular rifle before me didn't know what he was doing they adjusted the trigger incorrectly affecting the safety and the trigger travel or take up.  They had put washers in the Pillars to make contact because they lost the correct screws and they frankly thought it was not a shooter, after fixing the mistakes It shoots crap ammo to 1/2 and shoots proper loads to 1/4 or 1/6 and when you are a 1/2MOA shooter on a bad day and you find a Rifle and Barrel and Stock that shoots 1/6 you suck it up and stick it out...

I again will credit the SWFA Scope with achieving the 25+ shot group in the picture the 3 in the x Ring were corrected with hold and actually should have been part of the group...The couple outside are just pure laziness and body mechanics on my part I was actually holding a conversation during this without breathing and just letting my diaphragm go wild.  It is actually good practice for shooting after a run or light jog or in the Situation...

But as to the question I just went and checked it and the rear tang makes contact in two areas both towards the front on almost equal spots of the stock but with less than 1 turn of the front and rear screws it is completely free I believe the contact is very minimal. 

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - July/02/2011 at 14:54
No one
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2011 at 15:25
Interesting.

My Savage is sitting in a heavy Choate Ultimate Varminter stock.  I was actually thinking of swappin git out either with a HS Precision or the Medalist.  

How is the length of pull on the Medalist?  does it fit your height well?

ILya
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2011 at 16:05
Excellent thread. Thanks for sharing with us.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic